MR Scapegoat 25 v 35?

brownbear

FNG
I'm looking at the MR lineup for a new day hunting pack. I'm trying to research the difference between the scapegoats- and found some pics here and another forum. In addition to the sizes of the pack, does anyone know of the discernible differences between the two?

From what I see: The 25 has a different webbing setup (sides only; can be attached in front; no bottom straps); different interior pocket setup (two sleeves along the sides and an extra mesh pocket for wallet/phone/keys), and the outer mesh "shove-it" pockets

The 35 has the different strap setup (incl. bottom straps); and very little in terms of interior pockets.

I cannot tell how the suspension is different between the two (looks the same?).

Was there ever an "updated" 35 that has the pocket features of the 25? In my opinion, it seems that the 25 has more going for it, both in features (except the smaller size) and price. However, the 25 seems a bit small for my use as a hunting pack. What does the "more streamlined" 35 have going for it where it costs upwards of $80 more?

Thanks for any info anyone could lend!

MT_Wyatt

WKR
The 35 is taller, and has a couple rods for structure, pocket on the top of the panel, etc, I don't think it was ever updated since they just released it last year. It's tall enough most people can get some lift out of the lifter straps on their yoke, which makes that pack kind of unique. The 35 also has a pretty decent waist belt.

I've messed with a few of the new MR packs, but I'm not sure what they are for - there's really no way any of them are of any use to pack an animal out. But if that's not a concern, I'm sure they could work great for cruising around. None of the new day packs really had much suspension to speak of, apart from the frame sheet. I looked a little while ago, so I'm sure I could have missed some models that weren't stocked yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NDGuy

WKR
I'd save up a bit more and get a Cabinet/Pintler.

Great day packs and WAY more versatile, especially if you are going to pack out an animal.

LostArra

WKR
If you can wait a few days I'll be receiving a 25 soon. I plan to use it for a carry-on travel bag but I can compare to my Exo (my hunting pack) and Kifaru Scout (my early season day hunting pack) if you are interested. I was using a 3DAP but it had too much webbing and straps none of which I needed to carry a book, jacket and lunch.

I have no plans to carry meat in the Scapegoat other than beef jerky and maybe an elk pastrami sandwich.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:

THBZN

Lil-Rokslider
If you are looking for more organization (i.e., pockets) the 25 would be a good choice. The 35 does have a more robust frame and waistbelt, but as mentioned, it is not a game hauler like any of the other MR packs built on the GuideLight frame, which has the Overload Shelf for hauling quarters, etc.

One thing to note is the 35 can be used on its own as a lighter weight "hauler", by using the main bag with the zipper open and outer material folded in, then using the horizontal compression straps to cinch down on a deer quarter or two. I have a friend who used it to haul out his wife's elk, and while it took more trips, it worked. Also, the horizontal compression straps on the 35 are a better way to lash a bow to the pack vs. the 25, which lacks them.
I like both, so it comes down to a bit smaller overall pack with more organization/pockets and outside stretch woven pockets in the 25 vs. more volume, bow carry and overall more robust framesheet in the 35. Decisions, decisions....a good problem to have! Just my 2 cents.

Ledanek

Lil-Rokslider
If you can wait a few days I'll be receiving a 25 soon. I plan to use it for a carry-on travel bag but I can compare to my Exo (my hunting pack) and Kifaru Scout (my early season day hunting pack) if you are interested. I was using a 3DAP but it had too much webbing and straps none of which I needed to carry a book, jacket and lunch.

I have no plans to carry meat in the Scapegoat other than beef jerky and maybe an elk pastrami sandwich.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

subscribing for pictures and review

I too was looking at both Scapegoat, until I read up on the Pintler and it's Overload.

I too will not be packing meat, but Bacon Kripy Kreme Sammich, but will use Overload for 1K box of ammo during Range Days with Pintler.
MR is a little behind on their Hunting packs from sources, so make sure your retail store actually have it on stock before ordering.

LostArra

WKR
After my experience with the Exo I found the stretchy panel on the front of the pack very handy and this was a reason for my 25 decision as a carry-on.

I'm not one of these hybrid Kifaru/Exo Frankenpack guys but it looks like with a couple of buckles you can have horizontal compression on the 25

Mystery Ranch Scapegoat 25 Review

Last edited:
OP
B

brownbear

FNG
Thanks everyone. I already own a duplex framed highcamp. I was looking at the scapegoats for a whitetail pack for out east. I, too, saw the review from the other forum. It sounds like the more robust suspension of the 35 is the root of the increased price. I like the 25 layout and sleeves/ pocket for a hunting pack. It may be too small for my extra layering needs on way to stand. Thanks very much for the offer to post some pics. If you wouldn't mind doing so, I would be very appreciative to be able to view them. I'm sure others would also benefit, as their isn't too much that I could find in regards to these packs.

LostArra

WKR
Quick update
My 25 arrived this evening and I got a photo with my Scout + pod. The 25 seems to have more capacity than the stated 1500+ cu in.

e331869eaa545ed1c35ed0a4ad257ff2.jpg

I'm short of time so I didn't get all the photos I planned but I will later.

One difference between 25 and 35 is the zippered belt pockets on the 25.

501c3fc3a22c98e5e6b14dfd455ad402.jpg

The 25 has two large jackets inside. One fleece, one puffy with room for probably another. I could easily day hunt for deer with this pack although I bought it for a travel carry on. IT WILL NOT CARRY AN ELK QUARTER, at least not very easily but I have an Exo for that. I like the narrow profile of the suspension which makes it bow-drawing friendly. For a travel bag I like the clean exterior without all the webbing and extra straps. I wanted a solid color and the olive was the only color available at the good price. I like it. On first impression I have no regrets spending $165 on this pack.

Ledanek

Lil-Rokslider
could we see more pics from inside and outside? videos if you could. Imgur.com is good with hosting pictures

LostArra

WKR
I just got back from fishing Alaska. Pack worked great for my needs as a day pack on streams and as airline carry-on. It's the perfect carry-on for me relative to size and organization.
Inside there are two slot pockets, bladder pocket and one zippered pocket.

05b9d6c8249a9025058373782726e7aa.jpg

6b316b0607e8b5b7f8012850dc895f65.jpg

Lid has two easy access zippered pockets

b7504db809b5db6235dff2509cb0e22a.jpg

6bf4ff9e34d1922bfb7ee8bc7f2a0d8e.jpg

With the two side stretchy bottle pockets and the front stretchy slot pocket there is plenty of non zippered organization for things that need less security. The side pockets do have compression straps to secure something longer like a collapsed trekking pole or takedown fishing rod.

I recently sold my 14'r and went with the Scapegoat 25 and am very happy with the switch. The first thing I noticed about the scapegoat was it seemed a lot larger than the advertised 25 liters. I was able to take it overnight this weekend including fishing equipment. I like the access and pockets better than the 14'r. The only thing the 14'r beats it in is the waist belt - I'm a 34" waist and the scapegoat hip pads barely wrap around my hips.
90e6f6d09e63ca9143d09a04b16419d1.jpg

e133f0f584d4cfcf8b5281de57bacb21.jpg

I'd save up a bit more and get a Cabinet/Pintler.

Great day packs and WAY more versatile, especially if you are going to pack out an animal.

This.

I was kicking around the idea of getting the Scapegoat 35, but didn't want to be limited on being able to haul out anything heavier than 50lbs if need be, as well as being able to use a dry sack and haul gear in the load shelf for overnight/weekend trips in the back country. With the Rokslide discount (Rokslide10) on Black Ovis, it came out to be around $425. I'm super happy with this pack.