Buy once, cry once

Jdizz

FNG
I took the plunge and ordered a new pack system from Kifaru. I got the 24" hunter frame with aluminum stays, and the Apollo bag. I plan to use the Apollo as a day pack and for 3D tournaments. I mostly do day hunts and when I do multiple nights we usually set up camp near the truck, so the bag size doesn't worry me. I chose the aluminum stays because I read multiple threads where people said that they can be shaped to your back to make them more comfortable. My question is: does Kifaru do a video on this? Or is this talked about anywhere on the website where I can make sure I am doing it correctly? The last thing I would want to do is bend something out of whack and be disappointed after I spent all that money!!

First, get the pack and, run it under load for a week or so getting the bugs worked out. Make sure the harness is adjusted correctly first. It might take a bit of fooling around doing this. Just start packing weight in it. Because, as with any pack, there is close enough to work good and, there is perfect. Which is one of the reasons I went with Kifaru. Micro torso adjustment for each side. The 1/2 inch slots and such found on some packs work ok with 40-50 pounds. Over that, if it's not perfect, you'll start to see it.

In my experience, too long and the pack won't settle in the curve of your back. It will slip over time. If you are having to adjust the belt up and, having to re-cinch it doing training hikes, this is your problem. Too short and, there will be too much weight on the shoulders not allowing the pack to settle in the curve of your back. So, fool with it. There is no time line. Just get it as right as you can.

Only after extensive and exhaustive efforts to ensure the harness is the right length, would I go to altering the curve on the stays. And, I' wouldn't do that without extensive consultation with someone fro Kifaru.

Last edited:
By the way, I bought an apollo and 24 inch duplex hunter frame too. I LOVE it. I really like the bag for day hunting purposes. It'll carry everything I need plus, pack out my deboned deer in one trip. The bag is simple and handy with that center zip. God Bless

CoHiCntry

WKR
Don't buy into that "buy once, cry once" thing. I routinely cry when I think about the ridiculous amount of money I have invested in a backpack. :cool:

I think about crying, but then I put a whole bear or a bunch of elk, or a boned out muley and smile from the comfort it gives me on my hikes out after years of painful packouts with my old eberlestock because I didn't want to pony up for a kifaru. Then I think about crying on why I waited so long to invest in a quality pack.

CoHiCntry

WKR
I think about crying, but then I put a whole bear or a bunch of elk, or a boned out muley and smile from the comfort it gives me on my hikes out after years of painful packouts with my old eberlestock because I didn't want to pony up for a kifaru. Then I think about crying on why I waited so long to invest in a quality pack.

Lol! Very true...

OP
J

Jdizz

FNG
First, get the pack and, run it under load for a week or so getting the bugs worked out. Make sure the harness is adjusted correctly first. It might take a bit of fooling around doing this. Just start packing weight in it. Because, as with any pack, there is close enough to work good and, there is perfect. Which is one of the reasons I went with Kifaru. Micro torso adjustment for each side. The 1/2 inch slots and such found on some packs work ok with 40-50 pounds. Over that, if it's not perfect, you'll start to see it.

In my experience, too long and the pack won't settle in the curve of your back. It will slip over time. If you are having to adjust the belt up and, having to re-cinch it doing training hikes, this is your problem. Too short and, there will be too much weight on the shoulders not allowing the pack to settle in the curve of your back. So, fool with it. There is no time line. Just get it as right as you can.

Only after extensive and exhaustive efforts to ensure the harness is the right length, would I go to altering the curve on the stays. And, I' wouldn't do that without extensive consultation with someone fro Kifaru.

Thanks for the awesome reply... I'll definitely take your advice and not mess with anything until I've exhausted all my measures.

skindaddy

Lil-Rokslider
be prepared to call them a few times, being new to the backpack thing , it is very hard to figure out how to adjust right, i still dont know if mine is right but it feels decent. after about 3 calls someone finally sent us a pic on where one adjustment should be which was way off.
good company/product lots of videos to sell you stuff. but jack squat for this is how it should be, or this is what to do if??this or that? feels like this then that might be ??
they need to complete to trifecta in this category, esp when your in the east and you cant turn to ten people on the trail and say wtf does this look right, did i jack something up

skindaddy

Lil-Rokslider
yeah seen it 20 times its a helpful start but its missing stuff, i had diff problems tried to solve over phone, which i think i finally did, when they sent a pic of stitching marks to look for.
and mostly i was referring to trouble shooting.
also was given directions not aligning with video,
(glad i bought what i bought) dont get me wrong i am not so much complaining as hoping for improved trouble shooting.

Glad you got it figured out. They do take some tweaking and it is definitely a little bit of a process to get the fit exact. But once there it is worth it.

boom

WKR
Don't buy into that "buy once, cry once" thing. I routinely cry when I think about the ridiculous amount of money I have invested in a backpack. :cool:

or when that do it all bag aint the one for you..then its cry thrice. sucks the second time is cuz the wife is pissed.

OP
J

Jdizz

FNG
Hey guys, re-hashing this convo with a new question. My expected ship date from Kifaru was last Thursday, but I haven't received a shipping confirmation and my order still says "in process" on the website. Funny thing is, that I got a call from one of the guys on the Thursday telling me that they were pulling my order that day and if I minded if they switched the color on my Nalgene. I know they are probably super busy, but I was wondering if anybody else is pushing past their expected ship date? Or, when is an appropriate time to call and check on the order? 1 week, 2 weeks?

KNPV PSD

Lil-Rokslider
Hey guys, re-hashing this convo with a new question. My expected ship date from Kifaru was last Thursday, but I haven't received a shipping confirmation and my order still says "in process" on the website. Funny thing is, that I got a call from one of the guys on the Thursday telling me that they were pulling my order that day and if I minded if they switched the color on my Nalgene. I know they are probably super busy, but I was wondering if anybody else is pushing past their expected ship date? Or, when is an appropriate time to call and check on the order? 1 week, 2 weeks?

I got same call last Thursday....MyUPS app shows shipment arriving to me on Thursday. Original ship date for my Sawtooth and Pack was Friday. I never got a shipment notice from Kifaru.

Griz34

Lil-Rokslider
My last order never changed from in process. I never got an email saying it shipped or a tracking number. My frame, pack and pockets just showed up one day.

Sent using my Galaxy s7 via the U.S. Postal Service

OP
J

Jdizz

FNG
I got same call last Thursday....MyUPS app shows shipment arriving to me on Thursday. Original ship date for my Sawtooth and Pack was Friday. I never got a shipment notice from Kifaru.
Interested how u can track your package through the my UPS app without a tracking number?

KNPV PSD

Lil-Rokslider
Interested how u can track your package through the my UPS app without a tracking number?

You sign up for an account, register your name and address, and then any package being sent via UPS to that name and address combination automatically shown in your delivery feed. FedEx has a similar feature on their smartphone app but not USPS yet.

KNPV PSD

Lil-Rokslider
It will tell you the second a package is left on your doorstep. Great for if porch pirates roam your neighborhood!

OP
J

Jdizz

FNG
You sign up for an account, register your name and address, and then any package being sent via UPS to that name and address combination automatically shown in your delivery feed. FedEx has a similar feature on their smartphone app but not USPS yet.

I downloaded the app and signed up... AND... My package is on the way!! Awesome tip! They must be super busy over there and just can't keep up with all the packages leaving the warehouse everyday.