Best Kifaru pack on a college budget

First time posting from a long time lurker here. But I wanted to ask what would be your guys' top three options for a pack that I might be able to pick up used that already has a bit of organization so I don't have to go broke to kit it out and make it functional? I always appreciate the advice.

Paul

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Felix40

WKR
I have a super tight budget and ended up with a bikini frame and highcamp 4800. Its not perfect but its light and very capable. Since then Ive bought a couple more bikini frames for less than $200. You can find a highcamp around $130. So bare bones you could make it happen for $320ish. Add a couple pockets and you are well under $400 and have an awesome setup. Seems like those deals dont come around every day but they happen regular enough if you look. Ive seen some bikinis in the $275 range too which seems very high

Jordan Budd

Super Moderator
Staff member
X2 on buying used from here. I'd say a DT2, Mtn warrior or reckoning on here. Good organization without needing pockets. Maybe look for the previous version of the frame, you can probably get a better deal with one of those instead of the updated version. And there is nothing wrong with those frames at all. If you've got some time just do one at a time.. frame first then wait for the right deal on a bag.

OP
T
I am definitely going the used route, piece by piece. And will also be picking up a frame before any bag, I called Kifaru directly the other day and they said the same thing. I just wanted to get some feedback on a bag or few that might be good to keep my eye keen for down the road when the time (and funds) come.

Jordan Budd

Super Moderator
Staff member
I am definitely going the used route, piece by piece. And will also be picking up a frame before any bag, I called Kifaru directly the other day and they said the same thing. I just wanted to get some feedback on a bag or few that might be good to keep my eye keen for down the road when the time (and funds) come.

Cool. I'd lean towards a reckoning, DT2, or mountain warrior. The EMR2 is gigantic and awesome as well, now that the Fulcrum is out you can probably find one a little cheaper.

I guess for me it'd come down to what bag. I just got a mountain rambler and love it. Plenty big. For internal organization, I bought nylon stuff sacks off eBay. I think I got 10 for $12. Rambler goes cheap. Your only real purchase is going to be the frame. For me, I'd save for a new one while being vigilant for a used one. No. Ikinninhere. I'd go duplex all the way. God Bless

Brendan

WKR
Used Duplex frame - older version if you can find one will be cheaper. Just make sure you know what size and back profile you're looking for. Used EMRII or Nomad as everyone is selling theirs to make way for the Nomad II or the Fulcrum. A smaller option - lots of Mountain Rambler's for sale right now - have a meat shelf, you can put a roll top pod on the bottom, and they have the rifle scabbard. I personally would pick up an EMRII out of those options if you can find one - but it will probably be more expensive than some other options...

Scoot

WKR
Used Bikini and Nomad or Highcamp would be inexpensive (relatively speaking) and a great buy.

OP
T
I keep seeing these highcamp bags pop up and are mentioned. Since Kifaru doesn't really keep an older model catalog, what are the features of them? They kind of look like a markor and argali...

William Hanson (live2hunt)

Super Moderator
Staff member
I keep seeing these highcamp bags pop up and are mentioned. Since Kifaru doesn't really keep an older model catalog, what are the features of them? They kind of look like a markor and argali...

They're basically a large plain ruck with a sleeping bag access zipper at the bottom.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

OP
T
Gotcha! Do you know what the pals layout is on them? Can you mount side pouches on the sides or is it more like the argali/markor in that you can only put belt pouches on the low sides and run bigger/more up the back panel?

dotman

WKR
X2 on buying used from here. I'd say a DT2, Mtn warrior or reckoning on here. Good organization without needing pockets. Maybe look for the previous version of the frame, you can probably get a better deal with one of those instead of the updated version. And there is nothing wrong with those frames at all. If you've got some time just do one at a time.. frame first then wait for the right deal on a bag.

Completely agree!! Just remember the accessories can eat up $$$ fast. So the fewer pockets etc you need to buy the more you'll save.

I will go contrarian here and say that I think you could get more pack for your money buying a used mystery ranch due to .mil surplus. NICE frame she on eBay are $100 and pack bags can go cheap too. For $200-250 you can have a vary capable rig.

Just my $0.02. If you are die hard for Kifaru, go for it and buy used.

Felix40

WKR
Gotcha! Do you know what the pals layout is on them? Can you mount side pouches on the sides or is it more like the argali/markor in that you can only put belt pouches on the low sides and run bigger/more up the back panel?

The highcamp has the same attachment system as the markhor. Its almost the same bag but with a zipper at the bottom. I wouldnt call it a "sleeping bag access" zipper because there is no divider or anything for a sleeping bag. It works great in practice because when using it for day hunts most of your stuff is at the bottom of the bag and easy to access. Downside is no organization but considering you can get one for $100-$150 less than most bags you can easily add pockets if you want. I started with just the bag and over time have started buying a pocket here and there when I see a deal.

The compression straps could have used a little more r&d though imo.