Who likes their Kifaru 22 magnum?

frankrb3

WKR
Been running a mystery ranch crew cab as my day pack. Very versatile and durable and has helped carry out two elk, but I get tired of all the straps and zippers when I want to get something quick.

I really like the looks of the 22 magnum on a designated 22" tactical frame. This would be used primarily as a day hunting pack with the ability to haul the first load of meat out after a kill. I mainly backpack day hunt Elk in Southwest Montana with a few short overnights hunts when I can.

Just looking to compile some customer feedback on this pack and frame setup in this thread so I can decide whether or not it would be a good choice for my style of hunting.

Kotaman

WKR
I loved mine, but for me the frame/bag combo was overkill. Especially when for approximately the same weight I could use a much bigger bag and frame. I ended up selling mine and getting a Tarryall. The Tarryall is a little less versatile in that it has the integrated frame, but it is lighter and still does what I want a bag that size to do.

My favorite Kifaru in "daypack" mode is the Mountain Warrior. It weighs a little less than the 22 Mag but is WAY bigger, yet goes into daypack mode like a dream leaving the front pocket completely accessible.

For your use, I can't see why the 22 Mag wouldn't work...until you need a pack to take you on a week long backpack hunt.

worx53

WKR
I really like my 22 mag but since the woodsman came out, I think that pack is a better option on the 22" frame. The woodsman has the advantage of putting a much bigger load (first load out) because it can be used with the load between the bag and frame and the 22 mag cannot. It still has quick access with center zip, and multiple pockets can still attach.

Jordan Budd

Super Moderator
Staff member
I love mine. For all of our day hunts and horseback hunts last year that is the pack I used. When we were in the Yukon I packed a full body Stones cape in between the bag and frame. Totaled in 60lbs and I never once had to adjust the load or even tighten straps once we took off. With the load compressed I even unzipped the main zipper a few times taking my camera in and out, so it doesn't crush the main bag. I have 3 compression straps down each side hooked on to go over the side pockets and allow the zipper to be opened without unclipping any straps. You can also run the straps all the way around the bag if you want. Very versatile setup, I love it.
A moose even got a ride that same trip!
20d41e8648a972b7d2414d51a7832b1e.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I really like my 22 mag but since the woodsman came out, I think that pack is a better option on the 22" frame. The woodsman has the advantage of putting a much bigger load (first load out) because it can be used with the load between the bag and frame and the 22 mag cannot. It still has quick access with center zip, and multiple pockets can still attach.
The 22Mag can be seperated from the frame and a load placed between the two it just doesn't have a "shelf". There is a video showing how this is accomplished on kifarutube.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

worx53

WKR
I still really like the 22 mag but would purchase a woodsman instaed now because of the shelf and center zip.

Jordan Budd

Super Moderator
Staff member
Yes but it doesn't work that great

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

I disagree... It works great. I had a full body sheep cape in between the bag and frame with a full bag and it worked awesome. I didn't have to re tighten any straps once we took off. I had 3 compression straps on each side.

trdhunter

WKR
I like mine. I used it extensively last year as I did mostly long days from a truck camp. Worked great and side pockets worked awesome for spotter, tripod, trekking poles and bugle tube with easy access. Woodsman would be a good option as well.

So far it's my favorite day pack. It's the perfect size for me and holds everything that I need given that it has the webbing to add extra pouches and two large side pockets which expand. I know it's not crucial, but those two bottom zips are a huge plus when accessing the bag.

YdLXTEw.jpg

yeRJqhs.jpg

Last edited:
Definitely not the "correct" way to haul out meat, but I primarily hunt in hot weather and this attachment seems to keep the meat as ventilated as possible. I'll just shove most of my gear to the bottom of the 22 mag and compress the meat to the top of the bag/frame with the use of a guide lid. If I have larger quantities of meat, then it'll have to go between the bag and frame.

6VmXVXk.jpg

Last edited:
OP
F

frankrb3

WKR
Thanks everyone, feedback sounds pretty favorable. Glad to hear the bag can handle a heavy load between the frame and bag. This is an important feature that I want my next day pack to have. Ryan K, any chance you can post more picture of that 22 magnum in ranger green? Those are the only pictures I have been able to find in that color, looks awesome in that terrain you're hunting.

Sorry, the camera and lighting varies from image to image. I would have to say that the very first picture (looking at the mountains) is the best representative of the color.

DeepMauka

Lil-Rokslider
Definitely not the "correct" way to haul out meat, but I primarily hunt in hot weather and this attachment seems to keep the meat as ventilated as possible. I'll just shove most of my gear to the bottom of the 22 mag and compress the meat to the top of the bag/frame with the use of a guide lid. If I have larger quantities of meat, then it'll have to go between the bag and frame.

6VmXVXk.jpg

Think the gen2 meat bag will work that way bringing out meat? (Heading up there this week btw. My favorite place to hunt)

Think the gen2 meat bag will work that way bringing out meat? (Heading up there this week btw. My favorite place to hunt)

I don't have any experience with the Gen II. If the material is waterproof, I'd try to keep it open for some ventilation.

Good luck hunting!

Dobermann

WKR
Ryan: What size frame are you running that on? A 22 inch?

If so, did you get an additional 22 inch frame specifically for running day packs, and have a larger frame for larger packs?

I'm seriously contemplating the 22 Mag right now (not least because Frank at Kifaru told me it would be - and IS - his choice of daypaks), and already have a 24 inch frame. Just not sure if there's any need to have a dedicated 22 inch frame, other than knowing that I can just have two bags ready to go; have one for training and one for hunting; have a second for when buds from overseas visit, and so on.

If so, did you get an additional 22 inch frame specifically for running day packs, and have a larger frame for larger packs?
I had two frames (22" and 24") for the same reason. I ended up consolidating to one frame. Unless you have the money to blow, get one frame with the tallest stays you need.