Need some advice, Woodsman or Reckoning

Jaysop

Lil-Rokslider
Looking for some advice from those who may own these packs.

I'm needing a new pack for summer and fall backpacking fishing trips with my son. I have to carry his gear as well. Sleeping bag, sleeping pad, and food for him.

I had it all packed out minus fishing gear and camera gear into a rambler with a guide lid but it is too tight.

I really like the layout of the Reckoning for the side pockets to put tent poles, tripod, and broken down poles. But I feel like the main bag would be to big and it would all end up pear shaping at the bottom. I know it can collapse pretty well but I'm sure it has its limits.

The woodsman seems like it would be a bit better and fill out and carry a bit better but I'm unsure the layout would work well for the odd shaped things I'll be carrying.

Here's the weird thing. My 75L Gregory pack was maxed out with what I fit in the rambler for a smaller overall pack. The layout of the Gregory just didn't pack out well for me.

Without seeing them in person , it's hard to know how it would work out.
Would the Reckoning be to big and overkill for what I need and would the woodsman be to small?

Maybe I'm way over packed.....but I just filled up my AMR and guide lid with camping/UL fishing gear for my son and I for a trip next week. No way could I get all our stuff in a a Woodsman or Reckoning. (Reckoning might work if I left it unzipped and spilling out the front). He's carrying some lightweight gear (his bag, tarp, and bivy) in his Tarryall and I'm stuffed.

• Banned
OP
Jaysop

Jaysop

Lil-Rokslider
Haha just think of it as a good workout.
My son is 6 so he doesn't carry much. Rain jacket, spoke and bowl, map, small stuff like that.

Reckoning might be the way to go. I always pack super tight and neat on the way in and it's always seems to double in size for the way out.

Jordan Budd

Super Moderator
Staff member
Yep, never gone down the trail wishing I had a smaller bag - Aron Snyder

It's not pear shaped at the bottom as long as you have a compression strap from the frame to the bag at the very bottom, (underneath) the pack.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Banned
OP
Jaysop

Jaysop

Lil-Rokslider
Well Reckoning it is. I'm going to put an order in tonight.
I didn't realize you could compress the bottom like that. I had to rewatch some of the vids on YouTube.