Budget back pack build

OP
DenverCountryBoy
The frame is pretty comfortable on it's own. The mesh helped it fit me better. It is super comfortable now.

OP
DenverCountryBoy

adamm88

WKR
Thanks for posting the idea, i have a frame on its way. I have nylon webbing comming to help rig up a meatshelf and strap in a pack. Still not sure what pack i want to use yet, i have a idea what i want just not sure what pack will work

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JWP58

WKR
Thanks for posting the idea, i have a frame on its way. I have nylon webbing comming to help rig up a meatshelf and strap in a pack. Still not sure what pack i want to use yet, i have a idea what i want just not sure what pack will work

Wilderness specialties makes a couple different bags that attach to the Molle gen 4 frame.

That's the video I used to assemble mine too. Only thing I can figure is your torso is shorter, allowing you to set your shoulder straps up lower, extending the frame higher on your back.

Last edited:
OP
DenverCountryBoy
I mounted the waist belt on the bottom and third slot up. The shoulder tension strap is between them.

IMAG2819.jpg

I'm 6ft tall. I measured my torso at 19.5“ from the C7 to the line between the iliac crests.

I wear the belt so the buckle of the waist belt covers my belly button.

Last edited:
View attachment 53348 I use a old Dana Design Redirect pack. 4800ci and 27" frame. Added a lumbar pad from OV Innovations and some medium side pockets from Kifaru bringing it up to 5900ci when needed. You can find them used online for a pretty reasonable price. This thing is comfortable, even with 120 lbs. The top pocket also detaches and can be used as a day pack with the hip belt.

OP
DenverCountryBoy
Loaded minus food, water, weapons, plus 50 lbs of weights.
IMAG2882~2.jpg

86 lbs total. Took it on a 2 mile urban ruck and work out. It rides pretty well, or at least as well as I would hope from an 86 lbs pack.

OP
DenverCountryBoy
Meat hauling without bag.

attachment.php

Last edited:

JWP58

WKR
Anyone ever attempt to attach a Kifaru E&E bag to this frame? I have one setup with the Wilderness Specialties suspension and load hauler and Im looking for a bag to attach for a day pack (carry kill kit, headlamp, other crap).

I've been using the Alps Commander Extreme pack and frame combo this year and with two big bodied (one with big antlers to boot) muleys and an antelope packed out its worked great, but I'd like to have the Molle Gen IV setup in a day hunt mode.

Also considering the Cody pack from mountain ridge gear. Looks like I could attach either pack to both of my frames for a light day pack

Last edited:
After reading this thread I started doing some research and wound up buying a mollie II frame, enhanced shoulder harness, hip belt and bag with a bonus therma rest sleeping pad off of EBay for $50. I put it together last night, and today I threw all my traps and trapping tools into it and took it out for a ride. Since my only point of comparison is cheap backpacking packs, I am very happy with it. Glad I saw this post.

I made one for a Nimrod system I had out of the same reason you had. A little ingenuity goes a long way. I think I had about $50 into it and it does a few of the same things that the big pack manufacturers do just fine.IMG_1917.jpgIMG_1918.jpgIMG_1919.jpg

JWP58

WKR
If anyone wants a molle gen iv frame with wilderness specialties hip belt and suspension and load sling, PM me. I'm pack rich right now and dont need it.