Budget back pack build

Budget pack build

I was looking for a budget friendly pack and not finding what I wanted, so I built one.
IMAG2799~2.jpg
Most of the negative reviews for the Alps Commander are about the noisy frame, harness, and lack of load lifters. So I got just the pack and mounted it on a MOLLE ii frame and straps.
IMAG2797~2.jpg
MOLLE ii gen 4 frame - $14
Molded waist belt - $18.50
Enhanced shoulder straps - $22
Alps Outdoorz Commander pack bag only - $44
Kelty mesh back panel - $11
550 paracord - $2

Total $109.50

Weight 6.5 lbs

I got all the parts on Amazon except the mesh back panel which was from Kelty's website.

The pack lashing can easily be loosened or removed to make room for meat hauling on the frame.

I'll update after I get a chance to test it out.

Last edited:

EastMT

WKR
I did the same thing with that bag on a barneys frame. A little more money but the Barney bags were just too much for me, around $400 just for the bag if I remember right. Best $50 on hunting gear I've spent. The pin holes were off about an inch on the bottom, so it's not stretched tight, so I use a couple compression straps to cinch it down around the bag. Congrats on a cheap build.

JWP58

WKR
I used the same frame, suspension from wilderness specialties, and their load hauler. Might pick up their bighorn bag at sometime.

adamm88

WKR
did you give anythought or ideas of using buckels to attach a the bag or putting somthing where you could attached a kifaru bag? Also whats you plan on packing meat out? In the bag or did you have a load shelf rigged up? Have you loaded it with weight yet?

The pack looks good, I have the straps and a waisbelt already, this just gets me thinking.....

OP
DenverCountryBoy
The bag has grommets so it can be attached to a metal frame with pins and rings, but the MOLLE frame is built for web straps. That is why I used 550. I left enough extra cord to be able to loosen the pack attachment, tie meat to the frame, then snug the pack tight to the meat. It will take a little longer than using a buckle system to adjust the attachment points, but it is cheaper and I am good with knots.

The only mod I would make at this point is adding cord or straps to cinch the bag down for day pack mode.

I hope to go ruck this weekend. Maybe Mt. Galbraith on Friday morning.

adamm88

WKR
The bag has grommets so it can be attached to a metal frame with pins and rings, but the MOLLE frame is built for web straps. That is why I used 550. I left enough extra cord to be able to loosen the pack attachment, tie meat to the frame, then snug the pack tight to the meat. It will take a little longer than using a buckle system to adjust the attachment points, but it is cheaper and I am good with knots.

The only mod I would make at this point is adding cord or straps to cinch the bag down for day pack mode.

I hope to go ruck this weekend. Maybe Mt. Galbraith on Friday morning.

Thanks for the incite, I like the idea of the pack, i may try and get a frame and go from there, Does the mesh panel seem like it helps alot?

That'll get it done. The army ru k sack us the best load carrier in the military line. I couldn't get the lift on the load lifters to work well. From the looks of yours, I'm going to have to look again. Because if I could get that much lift outta it, it really becomes a load carrying beast. God Bless

OP
DenverCountryBoy
I got the mesh to try to keep my back less sweaty on the early season hunts. It has had the unintended benefit of creating more space between my shoulder blades and the frame. I have more arm mobility before my shoulders hit the frame.

gumbl3

WKR
I had that Alps pack and frame. Hauled alot of $*&t on it. I like what you've done here

OP
DenverCountryBoy
Took it for a test drive this morning. Loaded it with 40 lbs and hiked 5 miles total with 1300 ft of gain. Between the water we drank and the extra gallon I dumped at the peak, I was about 10lbs lighter on the hike down. The frame and suspension carry well. I will probably move the mesh down one set. I have no qualms about running this setup heavier.

View attachment 53253

IMAG2811~2.jpg

That bag is huge. I will probably get a couple 1" compression straps to stabilize its contents.

DE0827

FNG
Looks good! How did you tie the bag to the frame with the 550? Did you tie each grommet individually, or did you string them together? I am looking to do the same thing for a backpack trip. For hunting I bought a surplus ILBE lid and strapped that to the Molle frame. Then I had a cargo panel made by David at Native Textiles that is CB on one side & orange on the other- reversible with 2 zipper pockets. I can also put a compression bag with extra clothes, etc inside the panel if I want. The panel is attached to the frame with compression straps with side release buckles. It works great for a combination day pack & meat hauler.

DE0827

FNG
I used the same frame, suspension from wilderness specialties, and their load hauler. Might pick up their bighorn bag at sometime.

How does the Wilderness Specialty hip belt compare to the standard belt that comes with the Gen 4 Molle frame? Is it $80 more comfortable?

JWP58

WKR
How does the Wilderness Specialty hip belt compare to the standard belt that comes with the Gen 4 Molle frame? Is it $80 more comfortable?

No idea as I've never used the .mil version, but it's the same suspension as the Outdoorsmans optic pack.

adamm88

WKR
Whats the comfort like of the frame? It looks curved and it seems like in would be very uncomfortable, iv always thought that with the outdoorsman frame too that it looks uncomfortable

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

desertcj

WKR
I applaud your ingenuity. If you feel like trying something else, get a usmc ILBE and replace the waist belt with a Kifaru Duplex belt. After a bunch of trimming and the Duplex belt, I am super happy with my pack now! I'm in it for about $200, but I also got the smaller day pack and a 3L hydration bladder with the pack. I probably have about 200 miles logged with it on my back at this point basically original and it looks like the Kifaru belt is going to be awesome.

Took it for a test drive this morning. Loaded it with 40 lbs and hiked 5 miles total with 1300 ft of gain. Between the water we drank and the extra gallon I dumped at the peak, I was about 10lbs lighter on the hike down. The frame and suspension carry well. I will probably move the mesh down one set. I have no qualms about running this setup heavier.

View attachment 53253

View attachment 53254

That bag is huge. I will probably get a couple 1" compression straps to stabilize its contents.

Which holes did you thread the shoulder harness through to get the load lifters to ride that high? Mine just doesn't do that. It is about an inch over my shoulders is it.

To the fella that asked above, those frames are EXTREMELY comfortable.

JWP58

WKR
Whats the comfort like of the frame? It looks curved and it seems like in would be very uncomfortable, iv always thought that with the outdoorsman frame too that it looks uncomfortable

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They are both comfortable. The curve conforms to my back well. Most people don't have completely flat backs.

Fyi I bought a twonderful frames new in shrink wrap for 10 bucks on ebay. I've loaded the hauler with 50lbs and its pretty comfortable. I have it as a backup/loaner/daypack.

OP
DenverCountryBoy
I used a single length of 550 to tie the pack on. Less knots to adjust to meat hauling mode.

IMAG2817~2.jpg

I went up through the grommet, down through the frame, around and on to the next.

Last edited: