Help Me spend some $$$ (yes, ANOTHER Kifaru thread)....

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Hello,

I guess its my turn for a "buy once, cry once" thread. Im ready to finally purchase a brand new kifaru set up (probably a lost park parka as well), and Id like any advice/tips anybody has to offer. Im really only interested in Kifaru, I know EXO, Stone Glacier, Mystery Ranch all make good stuff but Ive wanted a new Kifaru for so long that I know id be disappointed if I bought anything other than that.

For the past several years, the 2 packs Ive used the most are an Osprey Silouhette and a barneys hunter frame pack. The Osprey is good for backpacking with ~40lbs or so but its not great for me when I really load it up (and its like 15 years old). The /barneys frame pack is awesome and Im not getting rid of it but Im looking for something different now.

Im 6'4 so Im pretty sure Ill want a 26" frame. I also think Ill get the Tactical frame, I watched the Video and I like the idea of having a bit more stiffness and a couple more attachment points for just plain hauling when not using a bag.

Now I guess my big question is Which bag??? Im thinking either the DT1 or the new Fulcrum, I want a big bag but also want to be able to pack it down when Im not using it fully loaded, the use for this will be hunting Dall Sheep, Moose, Caribou and Blacktails. I also may hunt Elk again in the future down in NM with my dad at some point.

I also plan to use this pack for backpacking, as well as general training (loading it up and hiking for fitness).

SO what would you do??? DT1 or Fulcrum??? As for color, Coyote or Ranger Green? Im not really all that interested in camo for packs, Id prefer a solid color.

All advice is welcome, thanks!!!

Jauwater

WKR
Within the last week I purchased a 22" UL tactical frame. I was looking for the 22" UL Hunter Frame, but this gentleman contacted me about his tactical frame. So I bought the tactical, and man I'm sooo glad I did! I owned previously a Kifaru UL hunter frame, and I personally think the tactical frame is far more comfortable. The Tactical frame bends very slightly side to side when pack is straped in tight, but not so much where it affects the way the pads lay on your back. The UL hunter frame would flex on the sides, strapped in tight under heavy loads so much to the point where the pads weren't flat against your back. It'd be like the pads were crested on your back ( if that makes sense ). I highly recommend you going with the tactical frame. I'd go with the Fulcrum just because it'd be extremely easy to sell it on here if you decided to go the other route.

****Highly Recommend The Tactical Frame****

Sent from my SM-S975L using Tapatalk

OP
thinhorn_AK

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Awesome!!! glad youre liking the tactical frame. Im glad I watched the video because otherwise I would have just got the hunter.

carter33

WKR
I have been looking at the same setup for some time as well and intend to go with the tactical frame and dt1. I have an anterro arriving in the next week or so in ranger green and that will hopefully assure me in choosing the same for the dt1. After watching some videos I am confident that the dt1 will compress enough to be used for shorter trips such as spike camping while float hunting or shorter overnight caribou hunts.

luke moffat

Super Moderator
If you are wanting to haul moose quarters and big brown bear hides get the Fulcrum for sure. Its what the EMR 2 should have been when it was released. :)

Getting big quarters or even big bags of boned out meat is so much more of a pain to fit in and out of the mouth of the opening of a packbag compared to simply strapping it or unstrapping it or even sticking it in the main bag and zipping it up and then unzipping to unload.

If I didn't already own an EMR 2 that is certainly what I would purchase. As such I will continue to muddle through with my "old school" pack. :)

As for color I like whatever the fancy label is for the "grey" color these days.

OP
thinhorn_AK

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
At 6ft4 consider their 28" frame option. With a super heavy load, you won't have much load lifter angle.

Good point, ill call them first thing in the morning and see if they have any 28" in stock, Im sort of on a time crunch before heading back up to AK.

OP
thinhorn_AK

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
If you are wanting to haul moose quarters and big brown bear hides get the Fulcrum for sure. Its what the EMR 2 should have been when it was released. :)

Getting big quarters or even big bags of boned out meat is so much more of a pain to fit in and out of the mouth of the opening of a packbag compared to simply strapping it or unstrapping it or even sticking it in the main bag and zipping it up and then unzipping to unload.

If I didn't already own an EMR 2 that is certainly what I would purchase. As such I will continue to muddle through with my "old school" pack. :)

As for color I like whatever the fancy label is for the "grey" color these days.

Thanks luke, thats sort of what I was thinking as far as loading meat.

fatrascal

WKR
I think I would go with the Fulcrum due to its zipper. As stated above, its just easier to get into your pack for loading and unloading. Fatrascal.

Jordan Budd

Super Moderator
Staff member
I second Luke. Fulcrum for sure if your doing moose quarters and extended backcountry hunts. You'll love it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

William Hanson (live2hunt)

Super Moderator
Staff member
Fulcrum for sure. Dt1 isn't a bad pack but I've had the emr2 and it's the best do all pack they had until the fulcrum imo. Once you go center zip it's hard to go back.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

OP
thinhorn_AK

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Cool, thanks guys!!!

I'm going to call up kifaru here in a bit (still super early) and talk to them about frame size and place my order. I suppose I should measure my torso before calling them.

OP
thinhorn_AK

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
BOOM!!!!

Got my pack ordered. 28" tactical frame and Fulcrum. Also got me a Lost Peak Parka.

They quoted me at 3 weeks for shipping time so hopefully Ill grab it when I go visit my dad in Albuquerque. Ill get it all fitted up and load some weight in it and take it on the road trip im going on with my wife, Were going up to the tetons and yellowstone for some hiking and camping so I should be able to get it dialed in on a bunch of cool day hikes, then, headed back to AK.

Im pumped.

Tsnider

WKR
good choice. ive only used it for general backpacking and camping so far this season but the EMRii is flat out awesome. Im sure the Fulcrum is the way ill go in the future. Not sure if ill like losing some of the smaller pockets, but we will see next year.

OP
thinhorn_AK

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
good choice. ive only used it for general backpacking and camping so far this season but the EMRii is flat out awesome. Im sure the Fulcrum is the way ill go in the future. Not sure if ill like losing some of the smaller pockets, but we will see next year.

I ordered a few Medium pockets to go with it for smaller stuff. I'll do a detailed review with pics and everything when I get it.

Latest posts

Featured Video

Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Whitebeard