HPG Recon Kit Bag on Kifaru hipbelt?

Lockster

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for the feedback Lockster. I can picture what you are saying. I also thought about adding connection points like the 3-bars or two rows of PALS webbing on the back. Still having it as a chest bag for canoeing is one of my desires.

When you had it on a hip belt was it hanging to low so that it rubbed bad when you set the pack down?

I use the Kit bag as a carry-all for any last ditch survival items that I would need to spend an unforseen night in the wilderness, I use it even on day hikes when I don't even carry a day pack, I also have a maxpedition rolli polli pouch on the belt for additional water if required, it is what I carry if I saw something about 100 yards from camp and I wanted to investigate, I rarely if ever leave camp without it.

To be honest , whenever I was using the webbing belt when hiking in with a pack I would spin the belt around so that it (Kit bag) was now sitting in front of me in front of my abdomen sitting above the belt release buckle so I don't think I was running it quite the same way as you are thinking.

Thanks for continuing to think on this Larry. I have looked at most of the MaxP options and the 481 option you list is the closest size for the weapon. The drawbacks I predict with it are the length of drop below the belt pad and the amount of room it takes up on the belt. Not enough room left for another pouch to hold the other things. There is a similar pouch from Tactical Tailor as well as a quick draw design from Wilderness Tactical. Seems like the layered pockets approach of the HPG or K-Organizer are needed to accommodate gun and other items on the same side of the belt. And the lengthwise orientation of those may allow for attaching so the pouch doesn't ride too low below the hip belt.

Looks like I will have to modify something - either a Kit Bag, an Organizer, or my equipment carry desires - unless a different pouch surfaces or I come up with a custom design. Never hurts to discuss and explore the possibilities though so I appreciate everyone's thoughts on the subject.

I have seen some folks who mount a holster on the belt and THEN mount a pocket over the holster. So, they feed on or mount one end of the pocket, then the holster, then the other end of the pocket. That gives you a real holster with the pocket and it all uses the same amount of real estate on the belt. Just something to consider.

You could also go with a shoulder holster instead of putting it on the belt. It gives you a good holster and doesn't sit on your chest getting in the way of your binos. And you always have it on you, no worry about where is my gun when I don't have my pack on. That is another reason I like the chest rig idea so much, my emergency gear is always on my person.

Larry

this picture on Pinterest is on a chest rig, but it illustrates the concept I was talking about...mounting the holster behind a pouch.

a87e64222af89b15e051ea9ce2aaf44c.jpg

OP
A
Yeah, I've tried that arrangement and am still looking for something different. Full coverage of the weapon and the ability to set the pack on the ground without the muzzle, even enclosed in a holster, being the first thing to hit the dirt and rocks.

Lockster, I see what you're saying about a separate web belt and it makes sense. Also like the idea of snapping the Kit Bag to the belt or the pack bag. I guess I'll play with some options. If I do get a HPG Recon I'll update with my experiments.

Most (all?) Kifaru hip belts have PALS webbing stitched on them. Lots of PALS/MOLLE pouches could work. Or a fully enclosed holster. HPG has a photo right on their website showing a similar configuration (holster mounted to hip belt). I see your post above about not wanting the muzzle to hit dirt, but if it's an enclosed holster bottom, it's really not a problem.

http://www.hillpeoplegear.com/Portals/21/CVStoreImages/IMG_0100_1000.jpg