What do you keep accessible?

snowplow

WKR
Roksliders, give me an idea of what you ideally need to keep quickly accessible on your pack-

-day hunting
-day or two bivy
-packing in for a week or so (elk camp)

I know how I've done it, but maybe you guys have a way better system. I'm setting up a cargo panel.

Thanks!

elkyinzer

WKR
In short, everything I don't need and whatever I do is usually at the very bottom and requires a complete unpacking. It goes along the lines of that whole theory of carrying an umbrella so it does not rain.

mmccolloch

Lil-Rokslider
I run muiltiple Kifaru setups & I keep it the same across all of my platforms regardless of number of days in the field. (22 Mag, Reckoning, DIY cargo panel). Here is a list of items I can always get to, without getting into the main bag. These are either located in the big side pockets, belt pouches, or a guide lid.

On the pack (side pockets, lid, pouches):
Rain Jacket
Puffy
gloves
Stocking hat (depending on season)
Days worth of food
Med kit
TP
possibles pouch with misc. repair items, spare batteries, etc.
Fire Kit - this is seldom used, but is nice to have it accessible if need be.
Stove & titanium pot (nesting Soto Windmaster & Evernew pot) - for a quick cup of coffee or a hot lunch if i'm hunting late season
Tripod (typically in a side pocket)
Glassing pad (typically in a side pocket)
Trekking poles - strapped to the pack

On the Pack belt:
water bottle holder for 1L Nalgene
Small belt pouch with the following:
-a couple of snacks/bars
-compass
-head lamp
-lighter

fatrascal

WKR
Belt pouches...........Pistol, Headlamp, Snacks, Leatherman.
Guide lid.................Beanie hat, binocular tripod mount, Spot Messenger, more snacks.
Long side pockets.....Jackets, gloves, first aid kit, map, radios.
Fatrascal.

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I haven't done a bivy hunt, either day hunting or spike camp.

Belt: binos, range finder, gps
Vest: license, hat/gloves as needed, some misc items. like chap stick and just in case stuff (lighter/compass/knife/whistle).
Torpedo pockets on my pack: Tripod, snacks, maps if not readily needed, headlamp if not readily needed.
Pack: water bladder and rest of misc gear. Its a roll top with a front zipper so I can dig around in the various levels of the pack fairly easily without a full unload to grab something at the bottom. Layers are at the top for quick swapping when glassing or such.

I don't like to have anything I need quick access to on my pack, because then I need to take off the pack to get to it. Or, if it is in a belt pouch I need to have the pack with me all of the time. My preference for things I need to have quick access to AND/OR on me at all times, is a chest pouch like the old Kifaru Koala, HPG Kit Bag, or Bison Gear Chest Pack.

Larry Schwartz

Tag_Soup

WKR
Bino Harness Holds:
8x42's
wind checker
license/tags
flagging tape
small lens cloth
ultra light head lamp
trioxane
"light my fire" striker
about 4' of 1/2" wide electrical tape (securing tag to antler).
Also will have a couple spare elk diaphragm calls in there if it is elk season. I am looking at putting a rangefinder pouch on or switching harnesses to allow me to carry it there instead of having to pull it off my pack belt and put on pants belt every time I drop my pack.

On my person (in pants pockets or belt):
Watch
Release in archery season (worn when elk calling, else in a zipped cargo pocket)
Merino Gloves
Beanie in early season (worn in later/colder hunts in lieu of ball cap)
Cell phone (for gps w/backcountry navigator) w/phonescope - may be accommodated in new bino harness
Camp knife - kestrel. Goes on pack belt when wearing pack
Rangefinder when dropping pack
Thinking of adding a shemagh
bugle tube during elk season

In the pack:

Lid: Rain Gear and Puffy Jacket when hiking in, add puffy pants and heavy gloves when planning to glass
Left side long pouch - Spotting Scope & binocular tripod adapter (sometimes I shove this in the bino harness, i will lose it one day doing this)
Middle rear - bow in archery season, tripod & trecking poles in rifle season
Right side long pouch - tripod in archery season w/ trecking poles over pouch, empty with rifle over pouch in rifle season
Bottom Straps - Glassing Pad
Water Filter is usually easily accessible and either shares a pocket with the tripod/scope, lid, or is immediately in the main zipper
Right side hip belt - sidearm with a full mag of hard cast and rangefinder - looking to modify this to be on my bino harness. I also keep a shell pouch with 4 spare 300WSM rounds on this side when rifle hunting. Often I will leave the sidearm behind in this case. I used to keep a bow hook on my right and the sidearm on my left, but found I can just hang the bow over the butt.

Left side hip belt - small pouch with granola bar, snacks, and usually a packet of quick energy drink mix; knife, and water bottle also on this side

That's about it for quick access. The rest of the pack is sleep system, cook kit, food, kill kit, full fire and emergency kit, extra head lamp, any extra cloths, battery backup, clean and dirty water bladders, and any creature comforts that I decide i have to drag along.

Probably forgot something, but hopefully this helps.

E in CO

Lil-Rokslider
In hands - trekking poles
Around neck - small 8x binos
Water bladder hose from pack or nalgene bottle in holster on hip belt
Belt pouches - Cliff Shot Bloks, maps, GPS and rangefinder
Rain shell and puffy vest across top of pack or under lid

This usually keeps me moving and limits unplanned stops. Everything else has a place in pouches or inside the pack bag and I can stop to get to it.

William Hanson (live2hunt)

Super Moderator
Staff member
Accessible w/o removing pack:
Pistol
Days food
Water
Lighter
Inreach
Bino
Knife
calls
Bugle tube
Range finder
Trekking poles

Accessible in pack:
Water filter
Stove
Puffy
Rain gear
Tripod
Med kit
Possibles pouch
Butt pad

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

All I keep accessible without removing my pack is my rifle, binos, water, snack and mouth calls. My range finder I keep in the lid. My logic is that if it's far enough away I need to range it I'll have time to remove my pack. There are exceptions ( GPS if weather is closing in.... ).