Test driving a used SG krux frame

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
Currently working a deal with a friend to buy his krux frame. I think he'll let me test drive it on a backpacking trip here soon.

My questions are...

What should I look for while going eight miles gaining 3000ft?

I'm shooting for a 40lb load or should I add more?

In general to judge the condition of the pack what are some key things to check?

Any responses specific to this frame or general used pack buying advice is appreciated.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

tttoadman

WKR
Inspect the bottom of the frame where the strap folds over to hold the stays. That is really the only place mine has shown any wear. That spot takes the abuse of setting it down on rough terrain.

Crank the belt as tight as you can to see if it hot spots on you. If is going to do it, it won't really matter how much weight it has. Depending on where he has it setup, you could mess with the lumbar height and thickness as long as you can put it back.

oenanthe

WKR
Good advice from toadman.

Only thing I have to add is to see if the shoulder straps have enough padding for you. This only shows up under heavy loads; say 80 lbs. plus.

Love my Krux!

Watch the stone glacier adjustment video on their site to get it properly set before heading out , makes a ton of difference

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8 miles and 3000' of elevation will tell you what you got at 40lbs. Going any heavier is simply a lot of stress on your knees for the future use of them.

OP
fngTony

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
Thanks everyone. I would like to get 60 plus in it but that will be just a walk down the street.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Mischief209

Lil-Rokslider
Watch the stone glacier adjustment video on their site to get it properly set before heading out , makes a ton of difference

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gotta do this first to give the pack a fair chance. Id say that about any of them.