Daypack Options/Strategy

First time DIY elk hunter... I guess this is a combo equipment/strategy question. I am carrying in a Kuiu Icon Pro 5200 and debating on purchasing the 1800 model as well as a daypack option since it fits the same frame. I am trying to get my head around the typical process for how people are setting up camps and what gear is typically carried into the field for chasing elk during the day. Do most people set up a "base camp" and carry smaller packs with only the necessary daytime items for chasing a bull or is it more common practice to pack everything up each morning and carry it all with you in the instance that you might follow a bull until night time and not want to retreat for an opportunity the next morning? Would I have to worry about people messing with equipment left behind? I like to think all other hunters with adventurous souls such as my own are good people but there are always exceptions. Also, is a separate daypack even necessary or would it be easy enough to just lighten the load on my 5200?

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
The kuiu bags look to compress well like the stone glacier. I have a sky talus 6900 that gets crazy small. If I'm backpacking in that would be my only bag. I would consider a small daypack for my frame when hunting from the truck but wouldn't buy it just to take along on a backpacking hunt.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

colobow

Lil-Rokslider
I would pack it like a day pack and hike around off trail, try something steep, shoot etc to see how it feels. There's probably a better way to strap the excess down with an extra strap etc

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KMT

WKR
I can't think of a big pack that doesn't compress to a reasonably small size. Taking in an extra bag or pack doesn't make sense to me. But individual preferences vary.

I pack in with my EXO 3500, unload some of the stuff at camp, and wear it all day hunting. It tightens down small enough for me. I use this for 5- to 6-day hunts maximum. I would probably buy the 5500 bag for longer hunts. I have considered picking up the 2000 bag for day hunts, but the 3500 collapses down small enough, I haven't been able to justify yet. Could save a 1/2 pound though with the 2000.

Fortunately, I have never had a person or animal mess with my camp, but you never know. I always assume that if I'm at least 5 miles from a road, the chances are low that someone will steal my shit.

fatrascal

WKR
The most common method of backpack hunting is to hike in with one pack, set up your tent and leave your gear in the tent during the day while you hunt. If your not finding what you want to hunt then you pack up and move to the next location and repeat. Some people keep everything on thier back and set up camp wherever they end up at the end of the day. If you opt to leave your gear in camp as you hunt then your pack will fold up or compress down to a small size during the day while hunting and so you only bring one pack. Its all about saving weight and bringing the smallest amount of gear with you as possible.
Normally you dont have to worry about other hunters messing with your base camp gear but as you said there are always exceptions. I could see anti hunters messing with my camp but have never had it happen. I always keep my spotting scope with me which is my most expensive item and hardest to replace. Hope this is helpful. Fatrascal.

nphunter

WKR
Right now I am running the KUIU Icon Pro 5200 bag as a day pack, it will also be my backcountry pack. I had the 1850 on my frame this spring shed hunting but there is not much room at all in it. Right now I am using the 5200 to haul minerals into my game cams, the minerals are in 5 gallon buckets and I can get the whole thing in the pack along with a camera, saw and my emergency stuff as well, my bladder goes in the side pocket when hauling the buckets.

I am debating putting the 1850 bag on during archery elk and trying it out but just hauling my water, food, filter, TP, essentials bag and jacket fills it up for the most part most of my elk hunting is done truck camping and hiking around 3-8 miles a per hunt and we typically do 2-3 hunts a day depending on the elk. We also plan on spike camping in the back country some during archery elk and I will need the 5200 for sure then. I feel like the 3200 would be the best early season all around pack but I am also going to ID for Nov elk and packing in my floorless and Ti stove and cold weather gear which will take every bit of the 5200.

I will honestly probably just leave the 5200 on, with all the pockets it has you can keep day gear in the outside upper pockets and suck the rest of the pack down super small. I have mine setup on my Kifaru frame and have a grab it between the pack and frame so when I kill something I can either sandwich it or drop the entire pack and just use the frame.

The Doob

FNG
I was going to start a thread on this or very similar topic regarding packs and what to carry. As a novice and first time DIY mountain hunter set to hunt elk the last two weeks of September in Montana, I am new as to what to haul around on my back. I have acquired a Cabelas Alaskan frame and a pack and had a couple of questions regarding the best way to use them.
First, I will be hunting out of a base camp - large tent /supplies/etc. My question is whether or not I should leave camp with the pack frame/day pack combo or just take the day pack, returning to camp to retrieve the pack frame if necessary.
Also, what do you feel is essential to have in your pack when you walk out of camp in the morning? I have certain ideas but was wondering what the groups thoughts were.
Dale

fatrascal

WKR
Doob, If your day pack is big enough to carry some meat then I would hunt with it and if I got something down I would bring my first load of meat back to camp and then change out to the bigger pack. If the day pack is not big enough for meat then I would hunt with the Cabela's frame pack assuming you've got a bag on it for day to day gear.
While day hunting you will need rain suit, some cold weather clothing, headlamp/flashlight, extra batteries, GPS to track your route so you can find your way back to camp,(its easy to get turned around while coming back to camp in the dark), lunch and snacks throughout the day, water filter, first aid kit, kill kit(knives, etc.), meat bags, some rope, and I'm sure I'm forgetting a few things. Fatrascal.

freshta

WKR
The OTC units I hunt in CO typically have as many hikers as hunters. Everyone I've met out there on the trails have been awesome people but leaving camp set up will always be a risk not matter where you are. I do it all the time and have never had an issue, but that isn't to say it can't happen in the future. I try to get at least a terrain feature or cover between me and any trails before i set up. It helps but I'm still likely to have someone bump into my camp. I'm in NC as well. PM me if you want and maybe I can help you out with some info if you'd like.

I have the 1850 and 5200 bags. the smaller one is really small. I bought the bigger bag after my first season with the small one. Haven't used the small bag since. You can really pack the 5200 down. I just carry it all the time.

I was going to start a thread on this or very similar topic regarding packs and what to carry. As a novice and first time DIY mountain hunter set to hunt elk the last two weeks of September in Montana, I am new as to what to haul around on my back. I have acquired a Cabelas Alaskan frame and a pack and had a couple of questions regarding the best way to use them.
First, I will be hunting out of a base camp - large tent /supplies/etc. My question is whether or not I should leave camp with the pack frame/day pack combo or just take the day pack, returning to camp to retrieve the pack frame if necessary.
Also, what do you feel is essential to have in your pack when you walk out of camp in the morning? I have certain ideas but was wondering what the groups thoughts were.
Dale

We have a guide frame. It stays in camp until we need it.