Kifaru Duplex Timberline 2 extended hunt capabilities

Greywood

FNG
Greetings Roksliders,

I'm in the middle of a quandary that I'm sure has been beaten to death from various angles around here (apologies in advance), but my brain is bleeding trying to decide between the DT2 with the guide lid (roughly 6,400ci) and the regular DT1 (7,200ci). Up until now, I've used old and surplus gear my whole life, but I want to finally pull the trigger and get set up with a bag that is really capable, fits great and comfortable to haul, and will last.

So my question
: Can anyone who has used or currently owns the DT2 provide firsthand accounts on how many days they've been able to push the pack, with the guide lid or without? Were you able to pack out much meat inside of the pack along with an average week's worth of gear? Is anyone a fan of the DT2 over the DT1? Money is tight, so I'll probably only be able to afford one pack for quite awhile, but I'm eager to invest in Kifaru quality and comfort.

Most of my trips in reality will be less than a week, maybe 4-6 days, so I'm concerned I'll regret getting as big of pack as the DT1, but also worried that as soon as I can get away for a week+ long trip that I'll hate myself for not having the DT1's capacity. The DT2 with the optional guide lid appears to be a more ideal overall size for me personally, but I've also recently read many just say go with the extra 5oz and get the DT1, and I know the DT1 can be cinched down tight. Really hoping to get some firsthand insight into the true capabilities of the DT2 specifically.

Thank you all in advance, I appreciate your knowledge and look forward to hearing from you. Forgive me, I'm not very good at navigating forums (this is my first post) but have tried to research as much as I could on my own before coming to this point.

TL/DR: convince me a DT2 is capable of more than a week in the bush, or not. thank you!

fatrascal

WKR
Yes the Timberline 2 can go a week long bivvy hunt/camp trip. That is, if you have a small lightweight sleeping bag, get food that does not take lots of room, don't have to take lots of clothes, etc. It all depends on how you hunt and the kind of gear you use. Some guys can live out of a pack that has a lot less capacity than a Timberline 2 for 12 days while others need
8,000 cubic inches or more. In summer archery season you can get by with a small sleeping bag, minimal clothing, a tarp for a shelter and you will use minimal room. But colder Temps come around and you need a bigger sleeping bag, 3 or 4 season tent, and more clothing.
Some people can get by with a small spotting scope or no spotter at all while some want a big spotter with multiple camera and cam corders and battery charge equipment. And then if you want to add the meat to a full pack when coming out after the kill then your gonna need more room. Personally I like a bigger pack that can handle summer or winter requirements. Like you said, you can always cinch up what's not being used but it's hard to add cubic inches to a smaller pack. Usually if the pack is not big enough you will end up tying stuff on to the outside giving you the look of the Clampets truck when the Beverly hillbillys moved to the Beverly Hills. I like bigger but that is just an opinion. Fatrascal.

OP
Greywood

Greywood

FNG
Thank you for your insight and info fatrascal, I definitely appreciate your reply. The Clampet's truck is a great analogy, haha

Jmock97

Lil-Rokslider
I would go with the dt1 they are not that different in size the dt1 is about a 1/2 inch deeper and a little taller you won't regret the extra space when you have to pack out a animal.

Schism

WKR
I love my dt2 with the guide lid but don't have any experience with the dt1. I use one small belt pocket on one side and a nalgene pocket on the other. I can stay in the wilderness for 7-8 days without any problems. All food is dehydrated or freeze dried and snacks are high calorie trail mix, bars, etc. My tent is a BA fly creek UL2 and I use a BA down bag and air core pad. Clothing is kept to a minimum but I am prepared for weather if it should arise. By far the food takes up the most space in the pack. Unfortunately I haven't had the pleasure of hauling out an elk with this pack...yet!

If I were to start doing more late season hunts where I was packing a tipi with stove, heavier clothes, and heavier sleeping bag, I would likely opt for the dt1.

Edit: I do not use a spotter for the country I hunt, if I did, the dt1 may be a better option for week long stays. Last season gave us three days of rain and snow in MT archery season and I had plenty of gear to survive and be comfortable.

Last edited:
OP
Greywood

Greywood

FNG
Thank you all for the excellent info. You guys are giving me a lot to think about, and some really good real-world information that I was looking for as far as size, and what you carry and for how long.

Question for those with the DT1: Is the main compartment along with the lower sleeping bag compartment of the current design basically a perfect cylinder, or does the pack get wider at the bottom? Also, can anyone else describe the design changes the pack went through a couple years ago? I've seen some videos of the pack on youtube and vimeo but most seem to be of the older design, I'm not certain though.

Thanks again

boom

WKR
i have the DT2. i have used it on multiple trips. the longest is a 10-day fishing trip. mine is an older model..maybe 5 years old now?

anyways..everytime i stuff it up for a trip, i wonder to myself. WhereTF am i going to put the meat? i havent packed any meat with it yet..and i never will. it is now my dedicated Sierras trout fishing pack. i dont know if the new models have an accessible meat shelf..i dont follow Kifaru updates. but i got a pack that does..so now it is the hunt pack.

Pontius

FNG
The sleeping bag compartment of my new gen DT1 does seem to poof out a bit more than the upper part of the pack. By a couple inches or so.

BKhunter

WKR
I have the DT1 with a guide lid. I figured I want one pack for all hunts I may ever go on. It does cinch down well when it is empty and Don't think I would have an issue using it as a day pack either. I plan on going on my first DIY archery hunt this September so i can't say how it hauls meat yet. I did a 3 day back packing trip in the Adirondaks here in NY last month and the pack performed awesome. I volunteered to carry more of the group gear to see how it handled the load and the pack weighed in at 58 pounds. It performed awesome! Load felt great and I wasn't sore at all after the three day hike. I like having the extra size just in case. I also bought the grab it which helps cinch everything down.

OP
Greywood

Greywood

FNG
Thank you all for your information and opinions, it's very helpful. To complicate things and muddy the waters even more, I've honestly started to look seriously at the new Fulcrum as well. It's a little spendier, but has great capacity, and the ability to bring in the wing pockets so cleanly for day-pack mode seems really appealing. I really appreciate all of your input. I'm sure a lot of people have had trouble getting through the decision making process with this line of packs, as it is a real investment. Probably one of the reasons why so many people seem to own multiples.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I wanted a dt1 but ended up getting the fulcrum. I'd rather have extra bad and cinch it down than not have enough bag.

Kotaman

WKR
I would go with the dt1 they are not that different in size the dt1 is about a 1/2 inch deeper and a little taller you won't regret the extra space when you have to pack out a animal.

My sentiments exactly. I've owned 2 DT1s and 2 DT2s. You can do an extended trip with the DT2, but I really like the extra room for the pack out when you are successful. There is really no difference in daypack mode between the two. After owning upwards of 25 high end packs, I have learned something. You are never sorry having "too much pack"...

OP
Greywood

Greywood

FNG
Thank you all again for going out of your way to help me with some advice, I am grateful. I actually just pulled the trigger and ordered a Fulcrum in multicam with some accessories. Really looking forward to receiving the pack and putting some miles on it immediately. Never in a million years did I think I'd spend that much on a pack, but I have a good feeling it's going to be well worth it in the end. Cheers roksliders!

Kotaman

WKR
Thank you all again for going out of your way to help me with some advice, I am grateful. I actually just pulled the trigger and ordered a Fulcrum in multicam with some accessories. Really looking forward to receiving the pack and putting some miles on it immediately. Never in a million years did I think I'd spend that much on a pack, but I have a good feeling it's going to be well worth it in the end. Cheers roksliders!

Better yet! Congrats...You'll love that set up.