Talk me into or out of a Kifaru Pack

My background is eastern whitetail hunting and I am now dipping my toes into western hunting with a back country elk hunt this year. I will probably only get one western hunt every other year, if I'm lucky. I backpack once or twice a year and camp locally every once in a while. I travel the normal amount and like to limit how much I take.

Being an American manufacturer, I know how important it is to support products being made here. On top of that, I have read every review online and it appears they have the design and quality to demand a premium, good for them. I have heard numerous times where Aron has called people back in the middle of the hunt, you can't get better customer service than that.

I had a really disappointing summer training with a Cabela's brand pack. It was comfortable enough but flat out didn't hold up. Blown seams and slipping buckles has me looking for a better option.

Have I lost my mind to be considering spending $700 on a backpack? Is it reasonable to expect a Kifaru pack to last 20 years? I believe it will be a comfortable pack, which is really not something that I am concerned with. I've got a pretty high tolerance for discomfort. The value for me will be longevity, material choice, customer service, and the ability to use it for multiple tasks. I had my eye on the Duplex hunter frame with a reckoning bag. I figure I can use it for its intended purpose as a hunting pack, but also use it for general backpacking and even as a suitcase for traveling. If Kifaru ever made a baby carrier attachment I would be able to justify it in a heartbeat. Seriously, get on that!

I am a firm believer in buy once cry once. Is this a place for that concept or not?

My opinion with high end packs is it is worth it.
I have a stone glacier but I feel them, kifaru and exo are excellent. If one has a bag that fits your needs the best of say go that route.
If possible try a couple on. All companies have good return policies if you wanted to order and try it out.
Aron is an awesome dude for sure.
But Kurt and Pete are great at SG and steve is awesome at exo.
Really this is just a long winded way of saying none of the top brands will disappoint as long as it fits your style and you fit it to your body.

SHTF

WKR
Classified Approved
Have I lost my mind to be considering spending $700 on a backpack?

Nope you haven't.

Is it reasonable to expect a Kifaru pack to last 20 years?

This depends on how hard you are on your gear. If you take care of it I bet you can get 20 years out of it.

The value for me will be longevity, material choice, customer service, and the ability to use it for multiple tasks.

Then Kifaru is the company for you. This is what they are built upon.

I had my eye on the Duplex hunter frame with a reckoning bag.

Good Choice

I figure I can use it for its intended purpose as a hunting pack, but also use it for general backpacking and even as a suitcase for traveling.

Sounds like you have your usage nailed down :p

If Kifaru ever made a baby carrier attachment I would be able to justify it in a heartbeat. Seriously, get on that!

Kifaru already has this setup its called a half stuffed backpack with blankets and a grabit the baby will sleep well.

I am a firm believer in buy once cry once. Is this a place for that concept or not?

You have found the right place. Open up your wallet now.:rolleyes:

A good pack is a necessary investment when carrying heavy loads. I couldn't stomach full price when I first got interested in kifaru, so I bought a bikini frame and high camp bag off the classifieds here. I think I spent $250 total.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've had a Kifaru for a year now. Carried out two whole deer last season. I can attest to Aron's service as well as the rest of the Kifaru team. Arons taken time from his evenings to talk to me about fitting and other issues I was having. I had a Tenzing pack break on me last year. It took several emails, phone calls and paper work to get it replaced. With a Kifaru product one call, send it in and it's taken care of. I might a third hand Mega Tarp this spring with a hole in it. I sent it to Aron and it's being fixed and will be sent with my new Fulcrum and Native to save on shipping. Calling Kifaru you get one of the guys on the first couple rings. No automated crap or press one for American. For kicks and giggles last year I loaded up my pack with 125# in the gym. It sucked, but very doable! They aren't joking that these packs are meant for heavy loads. With a Tenzing for instance they say their Cf13 can take 300 pounds... I broke mine with 85#. And carrying that much was painful. Kifaru isn't each. I sold two dozen new goose decoys and my favorite shotgun to afford it. But I'd do it again!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

oldhorse

WKR
Your biggest worry with a Kifaru pack is not how long it will last. Your biggest worry is a year or two down the road, when Aron, Eric and Co unveil their latest awesome pack , and you say to yourself "Oh man, I gotta get one of those! "

bivouaclarry

Lil-Rokslider
A $700 backpack to start. Add gear organizers and all the other stuff you'll strap on and it's quickly over $800 and climbing.

Simple way to determine if it's worth it to you. Divide the cost by the number of day's you'll be packing more than 80 lbs. If that cost per day is worth it to you, buy the pack.

OP
F
A $700 backpack to start. Add gear organizers and all the other stuff you'll strap on and it's quickly over $800 and climbing.

Simple way to determine if it's worth it to you. Divide the cost by the number of day's you'll be packing more than 80 lbs. If that cost per day is worth it to you, buy the pack.

I've got a fair amount of organizing stuff already since I'm not starting from scratch. The guide lid would be one extra item I would probably spring for. I prefer to keep most smaller items in my pant/jacket pockets so the extra hip pockets/organizers wouldn't add too much benefit.

EasilyExcited

Lil-Rokslider
i bought my first kifaru used because i could not justify the new price tag. now i would buy brand new without thinking about it. customer service is beyond good. i have had responses on sunday afternoons, when i had questions or concerns.

Nuke Man

WKR
Nope your not crazy. Damn fine packs and customer service is second to none! It will easily last 20 years doing week hunts every other year. They are tanks! Exactly why I purchased mine and also why I'm going to be ordering a 2nd.

oldgoat

WKR
If it turns out to not be your thing, you will be out a whole lot less reselling your Kifaru versus other brands, especially if you put it up for sell in July or August closer to the opening of archery elk across the West, you can almost get new price for it because guys don't realize the wait time for a new pack and need a good pack now versus a week after there hunt time is scheduled.I seen a used Hunter Frame sell on eBay for $15 less than list price on Kifaru website last year

ElkFanatic

Lil-Rokslider
Not even close to Any other pack out there in quality. Resell value is crazy good. The build of the pack and frame is well thought out. Buy once and done. It took 3 different packs until figure out kifaru is worth the money. Badlands are decent for the money and warranty but they will eventually break down. Also once you load them with 80+ lbs of meat they don't perform very well. I know it hurts the pocket to spend it but you will not regret it once you find the pack that best fits you. Kifaru for life for me

Sent from my HTC6535LVW using Tapatalk

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I was recently in the same position, I'd used backpacking packs for all my hunting and they were ok I never really had any issues or complaints but then I saw some hunting show and wondered what sort of pack the guy had, that made me start doing all sorts of research, now I've got a kifaru.

I'm pretty happy with it and I'm glad I made the purchase, luckily for me I'd been setting aside $$$ for a few years since I was overseas so when I finally dropped the coin it didn't feel like a big deal.

Callen21

Lil-Rokslider
I have used mystery ranch and a Kifaru. Currently run the tactical frame setup for heavy loads. My advice to you would be look for used. I live in an area that offers year round hunting opportunities so I'm under a pack just about every weekend. Therefore I can justify the thousands of dollars I have tied up in back packs. If I lived back on the east coast hunting mostly deer on public lands it would be hard to justify an expensive pack. You can often find a good used pack on here for a decent price. Can't tell you how to spend your money, but any pack from m: exo, mystery ranch, Kifaru, outdoorsman, seek outside, etc.. will be leaps and bounds over something you will find at cabelas. If you want modularity then Kifaru is hard to beat. Plus Kifaru has the best customer service from any outdoor goods retailer I have ever dealt with!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I also got the tactical frame. I'm glad I did, it's got a few more attachment points and I hunt moose yearly so I wanted the extra strength version.

boom

WKR
it's unanimous?!!

let me add: IF YOU CAN AFFORD IT. and you are going to use it..if you amortize it over the 20 years..it is a bargain. if you buy one and never use it..waste of money. i know a guy that spent so much money on stuff and it sits in a closet.

i wouldn't charge one on a credit card.

there is zero doubt that Kifaru is the leader here on this forum. hell, i even have one!

brownbear

FNG
I purchased a Kifaru Duplex w High Camp bag a few years ago with a similar situation and similar goals in mind. To me, it is/was worth it. I use my pack for backpacking sections the Appalachian Trail (obviously not a thru-hiker), work pack for the hunting property, and even in the winter whitetail woods, where I'm carrying bulky winter gear, but don't want to wear it in and get "all sweated up."

The way I rationalized my purchase is 1) I'll have it as long as I'm alive; 2) it's made in the USA; 3) its extremely modular, and I can swap bags and components as my needs change and 4) that's what the good stuff costs (in fact, it's cheap compared to McHale). I have many packs- and my wife reminds me of this. Some are used more than others, some have been retired to the gear closet, but the kifaru (in my case) serves many purposes for me. I don't even think of the price I paid anymore. I've come to the conclusion that every hobby costs about a grand to get in the door... at least.

kcm2

WKR
My first Kifaru pack, which I used this year in Oklahoma, is a Spike Camp. 2300 cu in daypack. I've packed out elk quarters on the cargo shelf many times with it.

I bought it in 1998. It's as good as new. That's not 20 years, but it's not far from it. I'd say I have used it 16 of the 19 years I've had it.

xziang

WKR
In the same debate right now. My current pack is a grey in color and works well and if I go with a kifaru I'll also go with a neutral color so I'm able to take it over seas if needed without 'weird' looks.

colersu22

WKR
I got an exo pack 2 years ago and loved it compared to my old cabelas day pack for hunting. I picked up a kifaru bikini frame at the beginning of the year and I liked it better due to the larger lumbar pad and that I can adjust the shoulder straps to different heights. I sold the bikini because I didn't like feeling the bag on my back through the frame and just picked up a kifaru tactical frame.

I think the shoulder strap adjustment goes overlooked by most and I'm not sure other companies frames have that ability. With my right shoulder sitting an inch lower than my left that adjustment makes a huge difference in how the pack carries weight at least for me.