Anyone Carry 2 Packs?

COSA

Lil-Rokslider
Thinking about a different setup with 2 packs, a load hauler (Kifaru) and a daypack (MR Scapegoat). I'd bring all my camp stuff & food in a large stuff sack and then hunt with the daypack. Gotten to the age/knees where I usually haul a deer out in two trips vs. one, at least until I get it to the pack trail. Currently using a Kifaru Reckoning, but it's kind of big and strappy for day hunting.
Anyone use a similar setup/opinions?
Kifaru Cargo Net or Cargo Panel?
Or, use the reckoning & the scapegoat?

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I wouldn't be opposed to another pack bag (~1lb) but no way I'm carrying another frame out. I sorta do that for spike camping when I load camp into a big haul bag and put it on the load shelf of my ~2500cuin daypack which is either empty or just has light stuff in it. I'd set your current frame up with a more streamlined bag for day use over the second pack. My $.02

LostArra

WKR
I've got a Scapegoat 25 but minimal experience with it in the field (airline carry-on). I really like the setup of the pack. I bet it will work well as a daypack for hunting. The 35 might be better depending on the weather/clothes and how much you want to bring in the larger frame pack.

One elk hunt many years ago I hauled in an ultralight daypack with my camp in a Kifaru MMR. It worked fine but the daypack was a little too minimal for what I like to carry while hunting so I abandoned that strategy.

MT_Wyatt

WKR
The larger scapegoat would be doable if you were halving a deer, for how minimal the belt is, it carries weight quite well. I'd try for one of the internal frame MR's or Kifaru for what you're looking at.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gobbler

FNG
If you like the Reckoning then it sounds like you're just needing to solve the day hunt question. Add a Kifaru Native. I've realized over the year I don't need all the stuff I've been dragging around during the day. Native is the perfect addition for me. Or if you roam far from camp and want the hauling capability with you then remove the reckoning at camp and strap the Native to the frame for day hunts. Bring along something to put meat which you'll sandwich between Native and frame with compression straps.

I just got a Nomad 2 and a Thar and set them up together. I've only used it for training so far, but I seems to work pretty good all together. My plan is to pack it all together for the trip in. Set up camp and either use the Thar or the Nomad (probably the Nomad with the Guide Lid) for the day pack. Then if I get something, I'll split the load and have two separate functioning packs. On the way out, I'll walk until I get tired, then take that bag off and walk back to the other bag with an empty frame. This will give me plenty of breaks. Rather than walking the whatever miles to the trailhead emptying my bag then walking all the back for the second trip and possibly loosing my stuff or having animals or people get at it.

If you don't like the " strappyness " of the reckoning then I'd suggest a DT 1 or 2 and go with a single pack. Both bags work well for multi day hunts and both compress down nicely for day hunting without all the straps. Then if you fill your tag you have the capacity with you.

I have my Kuiu Ultra frame with 2 bags. I pack in with my 6000 just unstrap it and throw on my 1800 bag for a day pack.

slick trick

Lil-Rokslider
why not just get the MR Marshall the top lid is eith a small frameless back pack or turns to a fanny pack, with bladder pouch, I love mine