Which Kifaru bag?

koppertop

FNG
Howdy everyone! I need help picking a bag for my kifaru ultralight hunting frame that I bought last summer.

Last season i used a second hand HPG CM25 bag on my frame along with a grab-it for a couple overnight trips and ultimately packing out a small buck and my camp. Needless to say, on the way out i had nowhere near enough bag capacity for camp and meat. I had the meat sandwiched between the bag and frame and some stuff that wouldn't fit lashed to the outside of the pack bag. Less than ideal, but it worked and was much more comfortable than my previous "pack".

Right now i'm looking for a bag that could handle trips up to 3ish nights and be able to pack out a full load of meat and camp. I'm very tempted by the Markhor on sale, but is it enough capacity? Would I have to pack the meat between the bag and frame or would there be sufficient space in the bag for a mule deer and camp? I'm guessing the Markhor is on the small side to fit it all in the bag. That said i'm still tempted by the price and i'd just continue packing meat between the bag and frame as i don't really have a preference yet. I haven't found much information on the Markhor to help my decision. Anyone have photos of the Markhor loaded up with camp and meat? How would i properly rig a meat shelf on the Markhor?

What would be the next step up? Could I fit everything (mule deer and camp) INTO something like a mountain warrior?

Thoughts? Suggestions?
Thanks!
KT

Mountain Warrior would be a good choice.

I prefer the larger AMR bag for my needs. From a day trip with bag cinched down small and only the 2 back pockets exposed to a 10day trip with the bag opened wide it's been the best bag I've found to date.

OP
K

koppertop

FNG
Thanks, mrbillbrown.

Can anyone comment on the markhor? Is it too small to fit a buck and camp into the bag? Does it work well as a meat shelf type pack? Any photos of a markhor loaded up?

What pack would you recommend for 3ish nights and packing out camp and meat IN the bag?
Cheers!
KT

dotman

WKR
Mountain Warrior would be a good choice.

I prefer the larger AMR bag for my needs. From a day trip with bag cinched down small and only the 2 back pockets exposed to a 10day trip with the bag opened wide it's been the best bag I've found to date.

X2...

bpctcb

WKR
Looking at the specs of the Markhor I would not buy it for your intended use. I believe it's to small for meat & camp in the bag. You need volume. You can always compress a big bag down, but as you found out with your previous bag, you can't stretch a small bag. You can only strap stuff to the outside of a small pack and that sucks. Look at the AMR, Argali, Fulcrum, DT1 and EMR2. I have slightly modded EMR2 and I love it. It is a great day pack (because of my mods) and it expands huge to swallow meat & camp.

BP

ljalberta

WKR
If you can fit it all in your bag largely depends on the equipment you're bringing in. The MW and Markhor are both similarly sized bags that could fit gear and a boned out deer if your gear is pretty streamlined. The best thing you can do is call Kifaru and talk with the guys there. They're quite helpful at getting a guy setup for their needs.

Jordan Budd

Super Moderator
Staff member
In regards to the markhor I think you could get it big enough with putting pockets on it, however by the time you buy the pockets your probably looking at the price of the EMR2 also in the rhino den and god knows you won't need pockets with that thing. Or just troll around on the classifieds until something pops up. I have videos of the reckoning on rokslide youtube and will be coming out with a fulcrum and fulcrum/reckoning comparison video very soon as well.

I'm thinking something like the reckoning, dt1 or similar sizes would get your deer and gear out. Might have to strap a bunch of shiz on the outside but you could get it out.