Empty Pack Weight

Nuke Man

WKR
26 inch duplex with composite stays, mountain warrior, guide lid, medium belt pouch and nalgene holder was around 8.5 lbs.

P Carter

WKR
This is a really interesting thread. I'll be honest, all the chatter on ultra-high-end packs around here got me interested and nearly sortof almost got me over the sticker shock. Then I seriously considered the type of hunting and backpacking I do and figured those packs are overbuilt for me anyway. I went for a lighter, cheaper pack that will do great at lower weights but likely be pretty strained at lightweight packout weights. (I.e., 70-80 pounds. And I'll just have to decline the superman (legendary?) loads of <100 pounds. But I will also have a day pack w/uncomfortable but possible overnight stay at 10-15 pounds.

I guess it's a good reminder that there are always, always, always tradeoffs. Helpful information.

geriggs

WKR
26 in hunter frame, mtn rambler, long hunter lid, two large belt pockets, 1 small belt pocket and a nalgene bottle holder...8lbs.

Felix40

WKR
This is a very interesting thread. Very good way to compare the actual pack that is going into the field across different companies.

Mine is:
Kifaru 26" bikini
Highcamp 4800
3 medium belt pouches
DIY Lid with storage inside
5 pounds even (maybe less if I washed it)

Mystery Ranch NICE frame with Metcalf bag and lid, 2 belt pouches and bottle holder are 131.5oz or 8.22Lbs.

I cant remember if that is with an empty 3L Platypus hoser or not.

Hunter Sargent

Lil-Rokslider
Stone Glacier Xcurve frame with Sky 5900 bag was right at 5.2lbs, which is less than the advertised weight. Great pack.

Kotaman

WKR
SG Talus w/X Frame - Just a hair under 6 lbs.

Kifaru Fulcrum w/Duplex Hunter - Pushing 8.5 lbs.

This is what I've been trying to tell you! 😜

My old DT1, with composite stays, and a few add-ons, like belt pockets, larger hood, gun bearer, etc. was just over 9 lbs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

str_8tup

Lil-Rokslider
Hunting duplex frame with composite 24" stays. Mountain Warrior bag with standard lid and two medium belt pouches. Should be right around 6 lbs 9oz.

brownbear

FNG
Older duplex frame (26" alum stays) + High Camp 4800 + Standard Lid + Water Bottle Pocket + Small belt pouch = 7.0 lbs

I also have a grab it, guide lid, med and large side pockets; I've yet to use all at the same time.

When you're used to looking at backpacking pack specs (especially thru-hike gear), these are a bit more "robust" for sure.

My reckoning with a few pouches and lid on a 26 frame is 9 lbs. my woodsman on a 22 frame is 7 with a few pouches.

LandYacht

WKR
KU5200 bare pack checks in at 2lbs and 12oz.

I've got two long pockets, 2 small pockets, a medium pocket, a large pocket, an E&E, a grab it, chamber pocket and the stuff cover thing (can't remember the name) all in KU too, to pack more stuff than I'd ever need. I should weigh that whole combo someday.

McHale Super Inex pack is 7 pounds, 4 ounces.

I use ultralight packs for climbing or backpacking, but they won't stand up to the task of hauling out 90+ pound loads of meat.

LandYacht

WKR
I've used my KU for a lot of 90+ pound loads. Still going strong. It's too bad that Kifaru stopped making them.

BKhunter

WKR
I was thinking about this the other day. I have a DT1 with guidlide and belt pouches on a 26in frame. This thing has to come in over 8 pounds.When loaded up for a week it has to be into the high 40's or low 50's. Tough to get this set up into the high 30's or low 40's for a 5 day trip. Anyone have any tips?

marktole

WKR
Kifaru 26" Hunter Duplex with a 22 mag, Nalgene bottle holder, and mini belt pouch comes in right around 7# for me. Probably around 8.5-9# with a reckoning bag and 3 belt pouches attached to it.

RockChucker30

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I'll probably run a Unaweep 4800 with Merlin daypack talon this year at about 4 lbs 7 oz. I could drop into the 3 lbs 13 oz range if I switch to a base talon, but the daypack is something I'll probably use.

texag10

WKR
Seek Outside Revolution frame, Fortress 4800 bag with added side zip in olive x42, multicam standard talon, and 2 multicam belt pockets: 4.65 LBs

Don't really see myself packing things between the frame and packbag, but at that light of a weight I won't bother to switch to a unaweep.