Lexan Makes for A Decent Frame Sheet For Smaller Packs

Jauwater

WKR
A lot of you may already be familiar with Lexan, which is a Polycarbonate. Product can be found at most large home improvement stores such as Lowes, and Home Depot. I've made 3 frame sheets using this stuff, and I've been extremely happy with it each time. Cuts fairly easily, and clean with a sharp pair of tin snips. I cut a sheet of Lexan this morning to make a frame sheet for my Tarahumara which turned out great. Purchased a 12"x24" sheet at Home Depot for $15. Its light weight too.

With Frame Sheet

63244d8656f69a224fdffaed7eca6b47.jpg

Without Frame Sheet

f78db6ffd6c1fe8484c68b5ce6e4b6d6.jpg

Cut Piece Of Lexan

6578626db67b14532f1f833d50e4e1a0.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Ya, and the dark smoked versions work really well as a rear camper shell window when yours breaks and you don't want to spend $300 on an entire new window frame.;)

OP
Jauwater

Jauwater

WKR
Ya, and the dark smoked versions work really well as a rear camper shell window when yours breaks and you don't want to spend $300 on an entire new window frame.;)

That actually seems like the ideal replacement for that sort of thing. Hmm, wonder if there is a market for Lexan windows for campers?

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
That actually seems like the ideal replacement for that sort of thing. Hmm, wonder if there is a market for Lexan windows for campers?

Yes. Got the request all the time. Wasn't D.O.T legal (too much reflection, I believe was the reason). Doubt you would have problems on a d.i.y, just a liability thing for a business.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Lexan is brittle (breaks when bent too far), HDPE sheeting would be a better route if not in a rush since you need to order it versus getting it at the hardware store. Just an FYI, most instances the lexan likely would hold up okay but if the bag gets crushed in a pile of gear (airplane, group van travel, etc). it could flex the sheet and bust it. Just be aware is all.

OP
Jauwater

Jauwater

WKR
Lexan is brittle (breaks when bent too far), HDPE sheeting would be a better route if not in a rush since you need to order it versus getting it at the hardware store. Just an FYI, most instances the lexan likely would hold up okay but if the bag gets crushed in a pile of gear (airplane, group van travel, etc). it could flex the sheet and bust it. Just be aware is all.
Thanks for the heads up. I've never tried it in any larger packs. Just smaller packs, non load bearing. Does it get brittle over time? This stuff bends pretty good at the moment.

b41fb7f11ad6bf5083af25dc94efd702.jpg
8aa80991c0395430fcbdc24087e05f30.jpg

Sent from my SM-S975L using Tapatalk

1signguy

WKR
Be very careful cleaning any window made out of Lexan- it scratches very easily. As for packs Would be hesitant to use Lexan in case of some crazy fall. Unlikely but it could break and stab you...

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Thanks for the heads up. I've never tried it in any larger packs. Just smaller packs, non load bearing. Does it get brittle over time? This stuff bends pretty good at the moment.

b41fb7f11ad6bf5083af25dc94efd702.jpg
8aa80991c0395430fcbdc24087e05f30.jpg

Huh maybe a more flexible formulation that I've dealt with in the past. I'm sure if you work it back/forth it'll snap or smack it with a hammer shatter but that's not to shabby for your usage. :)

OP
Jauwater

Jauwater

WKR
Huh maybe a more flexible formulation that I've dealt with in the past. I'm sure if you work it back/forth it'll snap or smack it with a hammer shatter but that's not to shabby for your usage. :)
Yea man this stuff is pretty tuff. Most situations as a frame sheet in a small pack this type Lexan works well.
a972cb797ab1adf411dc74f4f7974641.jpg

OP
Jauwater

Jauwater

WKR
It took 6 complete folds both ways to get it to break off. Not bad.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"

Ya, the Lexan I used in my camper shell is almost indestructible. I even cut mine with a jigsaw to get the right shape and size. And as shown above you can hammer the stuff, throw a rock at it, or bend it to heck and it doesn't break. It's tough stuff. This is why I went with it for a window. It doesn't stay as clear as glass, and does streak up, but so far so good. It works, and I caulked around it with silicone so it's waterproof around the frame as well.

Attachments

• 100_3499.jpg
    100_3499.jpg
    92.8 KB · Views: 40

Owenst7

WKR

Sounds like you're talking about Plexiglass, which is made from acrylic.

Polycarbonate is anything but brittle. In fact, it absorbs energy so well that it is used as bulletproof glass. It's also what safety glasses are made from. I don't believe it's possible to get a z87 rating with glass lenses.
[video=youtube;kLCWQFkiYBE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kLCWQFkiYBE[/video]

Polyethylene sheeting has a relatively lower modulus in bending and I don't think would make as stiff of a frame. It has a very high tensile strength, but I don't think that really applies well here. The PE used in marine cordage such as Amsteel Blue has been mechanically drawn to give it the high modulus that it is known for. I don't believe there is commercially available sheeting that has the same molecular arrangement. That would be a really cool material to work with though. Cuben fiber is the closest thing I can think of, but that is a textile anyway. Polycarbonate is not as elastic as polyethylene though, so I could see a polycarb frame annoyingly having to be bent back in to shape after being overloaded. I doubt it would be any more of an issue than with traditional aluminum stays though, which suffer from the work hardening and brittleness that aluminum suffers from.

Polycarbonate windshields have been used a lot in many off road racing divisions. They are far more durable than glass (which most sanctioning bodies won't allow anyway due to rollovers and airborne rocks), but they do scratch easily and are not optically correct if you put a radius on them (such as the sides of a windshield). I've seen some people use tearoffs like motocross racers do with their goggles.

Polycarbonate takes very well to heat forming. You might be able to form it to a shape that fits your back comfortably and reduce some of the foam on the back...you'd reduce a slight amount of weight/insulation (less heat) but more importantly you'd be reducing moment of inertia and placing the load closer to your back. It's been awhile since I did any forming with it-I'm not sure if a big hair dryer would work. You might be able to heat it in an oven on the lowest setting though. I used a commercial heat welder made by Leister, but I don't think I had it set very hot.

Last edited:
OP
Jauwater

Jauwater

WKR
Yep, and $15 for a 12"x24" piece is fairly cheap to turn it into a frame sheet for a small pack you might want some rigidity in.