why no love for the Markhor?

E in CO

Lil-Rokslider
So, my wife is tired of hearing me debate this...anyone care to share your experience?

I've been happy with my duplex frame and cargo panel for the past few years. 2 large belt pouches outside of CP and 2 medium inside the CP. Also, a large side pocket against the frame. Run it that way for hunts out of spike camp. For getting camp into the hills I use a cheap duffel bag compressed between CP and frame. Sleeping bag sits at bottom of CP in a dry sack and tent rides across the top of the duffle held by the CP over the top straps. Only real issue is that the pockets inside the CP and the pocket against the frame can make the duffel bag push out away from the frame more than I like.

Well, now I've been lusting after the Markhor in the Rhino Den. The idea of a single bag is somewhat appealing. The Guide Lid would complete the set up nicely.

Anyone else go through this same process and end up with a bag and lid? Or, am I just overthinking it and stick with what I have and maybe add a guide lid to the CP for easier access to more stuff? I'm concerned adding the guide lid to the CP, pockets & duffle starts to incur a weight penalty over the simpler Markhor and guide lid. feedback?

Dobermann

WKR
I personally think the Markor is a great option. Sure, it doesn't have all the zipper access and organisation of some other offerings, but that's kind of the point: it's light, easy to shove stuff in, easy to clean, easy to waterproof, and won't have zipper failure.

Pouches for the outside give lots of options for configuring it - either once as a 'set and forget' for how you want it, or customisable and scalable for different kinds of trips.

Plus, the layout of the webbing attachment points on the back means it's possible to fashion some short pieces of webbing and you've got a fantastic back-of-the-pack carry for a rifle ... and for anyone here who (egads!) also uses a crossbow, it's a great, great, option - probably the best Kifaru pack for that use.

rockmail2

WKR
If it ain't broke, don't fix it brother.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

tttoadman

WKR
My brother loves the markhor. He runs a guide lid and a grabit. Plenty of space to throw all your daily stuff and shed coats. You never need in the big bag until the animals down.

The markhor is a great bag.

The argali could be viewed as better because:
- It's basically the same weight as the markhor, but much bigger
- The argali can be used without a lid and has the belt pouch attachment system on it.

If thats important to you then argali would be my choice.

Davebuech

WKR
I ran the Markhor last year and it is a great bag. For all the reasons above and then some. I ran it with the guide lid, some side pouches and the grab it, worked great for up to 5 days or easily compressed for day mode.
I got the itch and am trying the Reckoning this year. No guide lid but still running a belt pouch and a large/med for the lid.
One thing about the Markor I didn't like was having to dig through to get to stuff in the middle or bottom of the pack. The guide lid flopped around a bit and for 7 days it was absolutely maxed out, 5 was comfortable.
Haven't given the Reckoning a full run through yet but so far am liking it. Time will tell.

OP
E

E in CO

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for the replies, I appreciate everyone sharing their experiences.