Good youth pack

Sapper

Lil-Rokslider
I'm looking for a good youth pack for the backcountry. Reliable but not too expensive. My son is 12 and probably soon hitting a growth spirt so I'd like to get something that can be adjusted as he grows. He has a north face something or other, not sure of the cu/in at the moment but it's not quite big enough for a 5 day backcountry trip. Thank you in advance!

chops24

WKR
I just came on here to look for this exact thing. Hope there is some input.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bcole82

FNG
I am interested in this also. The best I've found so far for the money is the eberlestock Elk pack.

bmart2622

WKR
My wife, who is bulit like a kid, uses an X2 and it fits her pretty well. I think I will pick up an Avail from Stone Glacier. Its nice and compact plus I will use it on fishing trips and 3d shoots too.

My son has been using the eberlestock mainframe with one of the zip on duffels since he was 10....now 12. Has always fit him well, and is fairly light.

OP
S

Sapper

Lil-Rokslider
My son has been using the eberlestock mainframe with one of the zip on duffels since he was 10....now 12. Has always fit him well, and is fairly light.
Does the mainframe come in different sizes or is it that adjustable that an adult or kid could wear?
Thanks for all the suggestions!

Akicita

WKR
Osprey Atmos or Aether AG 50. This will get him through his mid teens with plenty of adjustment. Lots of really good used ones for sale on Craigslist and Ebay. Compresses down to a nice day pack as well with plenty of pockets.

rdERu2i.png

costco has some packs i forget the brand but hey are inexpensive and work great for the kids as well, we have 2 of them my smallest child still uses his, my older daughter (15) is able to use a spike camp now, and i also have a internal dt2 that fits her with a extra small belt,,, they only carry up to 35lbs so the packs work great....

id go cheap or used, they won't be in them long

CoHiCntry

WKR
Typed this whole thing out, then realized you said "5 day trip in the backcountry". I'd look for any used backpacking bag you can find cheap since they grow fast and their want/ desires grow faster! Packs that are a few years old are pennies on the dollar!

Last edited:

1shotgear

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
We carry the Stone Glacier packs and are great to grow into we have them in small belt size and has a frame built in with a 150lb load shelf. they are incredible packs i run the sky archer 6200 and love it plenty of space and super lite weight. give me a call and i will be glad to help you out even can get you a discount as well for you being a rokslide member

Stone Glacier all the way. I purchased one, with the Solo bag, for my son when he was 12. The first hunt he used it on was a 10 day goat hunt on Kodiak, and he's been using it ever since (two years now). The small belt still fits him fine but he'll probably be needing a medium before too long, once he gets his growth spurt.
ec3a1f9394f885d8a28d3323d6b6991e.jpg

7201500f0ed14ccbb5526901d4694e19.jpg

A SG may not be exactly what you're looking for because they're not cheap but they're definitely worth the price of admission IMO, and it's a pack that he could use until it fell apart, which I'm sure would be many, many, years, if ever.