Kifaru Hunting Frame vs Tactical Frame

Leo45

Lil-Rokslider
Hey everyone
I know this has been asked a lot in the past....
But I would like to hear why YOU chose one over the other.
I thought I had my mind made up, but I have herd convincing arguments from both sides.
I have already decided on the composite stays and 26" from my height and back shape.
I know the tactical doesn't weigh a whole lot more, but is it as comfortable? Any other downsides?
Is the hunting frame stout enough for hauling out camp and an animal?
Pointers?
Thanks in advance

OP
L

Leo45

Lil-Rokslider
None taken
I'm a 32 y/o professional firefighter that can carrry a lot of weight.
I'm wondering if I would be handicapping myself by getting the hunting frame.

twall13

WKR
Choosing the correct Duplex Frame - YouTube

Here is a good breakdown from Aron. I personally went with the hunting frame and coming from an Exo frame it still feels really stiff. That said I have noticed some slight deformation of the frame sheet from leaving a sand bag cinched tight to the frame for training. I haven't felt a difference in it's performance but you can see where it flexed and lost its shape a bit where the compression straps attach. For me, the I went with the hunting frame for weight savings and it will haul everything I need it to without problem.

So it depends a bit on what your intended use is. For just hauling meat and camp the hunting frame should be fine. If you want something more durable for repeated use with odd shaped loads the Tactical frame might be better.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Griz34

Lil-Rokslider
Kifaru put out a video explaining why you might choose one over the other. After watching the video I chose the tactical because about half of my use will be hauling odd shaped gear like treestands and training weight. For the small sacrifice in weight I wanted a slightly more stout frame.

Sent using my Galaxy s7 via the U.S. Postal Service

OP
L

Leo45

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks guys!
Is the weight of the Tactical frame the only downside?
Or is there any sacrifice in comfort or mobility when using a lighter day pack?

I've had over 100 pounds on my hunting frame since buying it in May. 106 pounds to be exact. It did it easily with no barreling or collapsing of the frame under the weight and, with zero discomfort any where besides the burning in my hips and Gluts. :D The tactical is more than I need.
Nothing I hunt would be less trips because of it. The tactical can't be any more comfortable for me under those loads. So, Every time I strap my 24", aluminum stay hunter frame on, I'm so glad that was my choice. Because it'll do everything I want and more very comfortable on my body So you gotta decide whats going to fit your needs best and go that route. Just remember, big heavy loads won't always be the norm. While I have no experience with the tactical, in my mind, it is more of a training tool versus a necessity while hunting. If you continually carry the heavy loads hunting that the tactical is supposed to really out do the hunter frame, it won't be long before you injure yourself in the woods. That's reality. God Bless

OP
L

Leo45

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks
That's a good thread
Sounds like the hunting frame would probably do everything I need.
But getting a set of arrows on the side if I were to go the tactical route sounds like a good option too 👍

OP
L

Leo45

Lil-Rokslider
I've had over 100 pounds on my hunting frame since buying it in May. 106 pounds to be exact. It did it easily with no barreling or collapsing of the frame under the weight and, with zero discomfort any where besides the burning in my hips and Gluts. :D The tactical is more than I need.
Nothing I hunt would be less trips because of it. The tactical can't be any more comfortable for me under those loads. So, Every time I strap my 24", aluminum stay hunter frame on, I'm so glad that was my choice. Because it'll do everything I want and more very comfortable on my body So you gotta decide whats going to fit your needs best and go that route. Just remember, big heavy loads won't always be the norm. While I have no experience with the tactical, in my mind, it is more of a training tool versus a necessity while hunting. If you continually carry the heavy loads hunting that the tactical is supposed to really out do the hunter frame, it won't be long before you injure yourself in the woods. That's reality. God Bless
Thank you for the exceptional response 👍

aion2come

WKR
what mitchelllbk said above is dead on. I would add (to put it positively for the hunting frame) that the hunting frame has more lateral flexibility (less torsional rigidity) which allows it to not feel quite as stiff. It moves with your body more, similar to the Exo frames ... although they are a bit stiffer than the Exo. I loved the Exo frame for how it moved with my body, but wanted a 26" frame and liked Kifaru's modularity better. The hunter frame was perfect for me. It hauls way more than I can carry.

Remember, the stays are what are going to provide 95+% of the horizontal rigidity and strength ... and that is the same with both frames.

xziang

WKR
Hunter frame comes in WolfGrey technical frame doesn't. (my reason) Have to match you know..

(will also be used for non hunting activities)

The only reason you might want the tactical is for more torsional rigidity for awkward or round loads. You asked about the disadvantages: they are two fold. 1) Weight, this is obvious but it's slightly heavier. 2) Torsional rigidity; while this is also an advantage it can be a disadvantage and restrict/resist movement. This could interfere with drawing a bow with the pack on.

This picture perfectly illustrates the need for a tactical frame and what a hunting frame looks like in such a situation. Notice how the frame is bent around the load which will pull the wearer's shoulders back creating discomfort.

BvfFrM_LuifleRqc35zlAq7iD4NM2ll5G3K5wfzeOu1Tb-_ra3nGkFmXVsXr8DPbiYrgr77ZNuufAWM1rW5TRxy3-4ySw0WPHV0T7gtCEkgbsoO7TS4uvNHk88JK3n6cZod-wyExhNGu3ObTngEK5dIvhj-FBQ4OAqQ8l9x_I6O-8gXIlus9NXWj6N0AD19TfCViepWaQx9khwKNnKdAKpkV4Wd8Uk4B26vINlh17J1rXxu5VpYFJz8uCGmy-XYBRzwKDNiG7B_dY6_iHeCz3A5U0qwP8LL0ls4gMH1sdo3T1tBX_JqKS6sHLQhcQ7lYl-s_FxOFGPjzwE_Vp0JSY5k9hZ4E8CQazPqAA9sNePg1PKc4h2G3fiRA-8YR-SGlSHxQB7rfqNuBRT7uTidbUrsR0tyH0JK2pec7uX6gD6dP6Atu1fW29F4ALsOz6e66L6gWth9jUHTLHwxBZDFcFKl6JbVCSPpMx2BJaYiWyA_y3ZkEn56_gbluCuuHyINOe3A4S1W7NCxvB-j-FkdHirAO3rSO0ctylI1XfWuhqqvwSU5I5oWw9nEyRODeoMrgbJThPYAPQ208f6378bsoHSbD82WK-8rhLRwU_7c153ROiPa1dDN7gj7Ttg8SVjYf7j5vAeqXVkMQcSX_Aj7OZUc6UIuXDwVfsRoIEjL-Ffwnlwo=w408-h342-no

Hunter frame comes in WolfGrey technical frame doesn't. (my reason) Have to match you know..

(will also be used for non hunting activities)

There is no reason that this should be true (other than it might look weird with the coyote frame sheet). The belt and shoulder pads are the same for both frames.

xziang

WKR
There is no reason that this should be true (other than it might look weird with the coyote frame sheet). The belt and shoulder pads are the same for both frames.

You are right after taking another look at their site. I had thought I read on here or someplace that it wasn't an option. I see/saw the image now with the grey shoulder straps and waist belt. Oh well, for my use I'm sure the hunter frame will be plenty.

i have both, and the tactical is more comfortable for me with 80+ lbs in it
only because if the thickness and its ability to keep its natural shape more easily.