Pack organization

CBB1

Lil-Rokslider
I am prepping for my first backpack hunt and starting to think about how I can most efficiently organize my gear in my pack. I have seen the kifaru pull outs and I was looking at eagle creek pull outs at REI. I also considered some type of stuck/ compression sack for my insulating layers and extra clothes. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Jordan Budd

Super Moderator
Staff member
Pullouts/dry bags/zip lock bags all work for organizing your stuff. I organized mine into "kits"... like one for kill kit, one for essentials kit, one for cooking kit, etc. That way when you get into camp you know which pullouts stay at camp and which ones go with you so you don't have to sort through everything a bunch of times. Depending on where your going I would consider putting extra clothing in a dry bag instead of just a stuff sack, and I'd also consider putting your sleeping bag in a dry bag as well.

If this is your first backpacking trip as well, not just your first BP hunt, I would suggest you pack your bag like you will for the hunt and then do at least one weekend camping trip to learn what works, what doesn't work, and most importantly what you don't realize you don't know how to do.

OP
C

CBB1

Lil-Rokslider
Thank you Larry. That is what I am making preparations for now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There is nothing wrong with driving to a campsite in a state park, parking your car 100 feet from your campsite and then hiking a few miles before you set up your camp at the campsite. You get to simulate parking at the trailhead, hiking into where you will set up camp, and then setting up camp. And you are also just a short walk away from your car if something goes wrong and you need to seek shelter or get something you forgot or whatever. You don't have to rough it the first time out as you learn to backpack.

Like Jordan, I use "kits" My organizer is a see thru mesh pouch for most stuff.
- Kill Kit
- Emerg Kit
-Camp Kit (things used primarily at camp like camp head light, tent lamp, rope, batty packs etc)
- Water Kit

Everything else is in water proof set ups like S/Bag, with pillow in it, food, and extra clothes.
The I have the tent stove, tent and cook stove in their supplied bags.

Other items like flagging tape, smoke in a bottle, binos, calls etc go in belt pouch and/or chest harness.

Then on my belt are Bear spray, 10mm, and Nalgene bottle

Other items are attached externally like Heads up elk decoy, trekking poles and bugle.

This is pretty much it. Develop something an in that process ask yourself, "do I really need 4 ways to start a fire, 5 ways to get water, 3 knives, 3 different GPS type stuff, 300' para cord, 3 prs of socks, 3 prs of pants, 4 light systems... etc...

Each one of us trimmed it down for the year before until we went too light and wished we had something we omitted the year before.
:)

Good luck and blessings on your hunt

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
Kind of an exploded view of how things would be in my pack. Trekking poles don't actually go in my pack they're just there to separate what would go in my side pockets.

From the bottom.
Sleeping bag
Shelter bag (tarp,bivy, pad, stakes, guylines)
Kill kit
Essentials bag
Puffy
Still in the main compartment but off to the side
Gray bag is mittens, socks
Gray roll is puffy pants
Tall narrow black bag is stove, pot, fuel

Right side pocket is rain pants and jacket

Left side pocket, first aid, tp, gaiters.

I have a center zip bag but this could work with a horseshoe zip too.

Knife is on my waist belt. Side arm and bear spray also if I wanted.

Not pictured is food, water filter, and pack cover. Cover, filter and day snacks are in my lid. Rest of food just gets shoved in. I'm not doing more than 2days with out resupplying at base camp, a long outings worth of food would change this.
d8c80ee8766b04b8aa31c961328bc500.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk