Stone vs Kifaru - my thoughts

After much reading and research, I still couldn't make my mind between Kifaru or Stone Glacier. There were so many good reviews on both, and most said you can't go wrong with either. So I ordered both.

My opinion is that you can go wrong in which one is best for you. They are both great brands and offer great quality products but I learned that one fit simply felt Much better on my body. The other, as much as I liked it, was a bit awkward and uncomfortable. Because there are so many good reviews on the one that didn't fit me, my assumption is that this one simply wasn't made for a person with my frame size/shape and that the other, because of its customization options, adjusted much better to me.

I know I haven't mentioned which one I think it's better, but I did this on purpose because I believe people should try packs before deciding. However, if you really want to know which one I picked, there is a key word somewhere in this post that'll tell you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AXEL

WKR
This is a VERY sound post and my experience with many packs over many moons supports your opinion.

I have now gone to Seek Outside, about the most comfortable packs I have ever carried and the old Bozeman-made Dana Design Terraframes are a close second. I have a MC Divide SO for hunting, an Exposure 5000 for general use, love this, and an old, minty DD Shortbed, one of four I bought to customize a bit for hauling any meat I may get.

All of these fit ME and the SO packs are simply superb in QC, comfort, light weight and BRILLIANT design, purrfekt for we old grumpy geezers!

So many good choices now, I started with Trapper Nelson #3s, hauling huge loads of supplies to BCFS mountain fire lookouts which were not road accessible and these were "torture racks". At 71, rather gimped due to major injuries, the SOs make it possible for me to still do some Elk hunting and with today's ultralight gear, my KMA .280AI, one example, we old pharts can still get out there and get at it.

Gotta luv it, I suggest trying as many as you can and then deciding. I am happy to show people my packs and how to adjust packs as I have for several years and this helps others to buy what suits them best, IMHO.

After much reading and research, I still couldn't make my mind between Kifaru or Stone Glacier. There were so many good reviews on both, and most said you can't go wrong with either. So I ordered both.

My opinion is that you can go wrong in which one is best for you. They are both great brands and offer great quality products but I learned that one fit simply felt Much better on my body. The other, as much as I liked it, was a bit awkward and uncomfortable. Because there are so many good reviews on the one that didn't fit me, my assumption is that this one simply wasn't made for a person with my frame size/shape and that the other, because of its customization options, adjusted much better to me.

I know I haven't mentioned which one I think it's better, but I did this on purpose because I believe people should try packs before deciding. However, if you really want to know which one I picked, there is a key word somewhere in this post that'll tell you.

Have read this post over and over.... Still not seeing the key word!!

Skickat från min S40 via Tapatalk

2ski

WKR
That's what I assume is the word but both can be customized can't they? By customized I assume he means adjusted. Both can be adjusted for length of frame.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

OP
E
That's what I assume is the word but both can be customized can't they? By customized I assume he means adjusted. Both can be adjusted for length of frame.

So I don't want to say one is better than the other, but to I loaded both with a about 55-60lbs and played with the adjustment of both. Stone Glacier didn't fit right on me and felt uncomfortable. Still excellent pack, amazing customer service, just didn't work for me. However I feel 'maybe' the fact that kifaru offered a frame size options and you can adjust the load lifter height, this allowed to have a more customized (or adjusted) fit.

I will confess, I was hesitant about ordering the Kifaru because it seemed like it was just a hype created in forums here, by I can now say it worked better for me. Still a bit sore with it's price, but I just have to go with what works best for me.

2ski

WKR
I got cha. I haven't played with a stone glacier so I didn't know that.

OP
E
I wonder if spending 700 dollars on a stone glacier pack actually gets you what you ordered....

Because kifaru couldn't get that one right for me so now I have a 700+ dollar backpack that I can't use because they sent me the wrong belt.

I'm probably sounding bitchy but the experience has soured me a bit and I'm actually thinking of ditching the kifaru and going to stone glacier.

Not that kifaru cares, they already have my $$$.

I don't understand. If you bought a Kifaru that doesn't work for you, why didn't your return it within the 30 day period?

2ski

WKR
I don't understand. If you bought a Kifaru that doesn't work for you, why didn't your return it within the 30 day period?

Yeah. Call kifaru. See what happens.

Aron Snyder

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I wonder if spending 700 dollars on a stone glacier pack actually gets you what you ordered....

Because kifaru couldn't get that one right for me so now I have a 700+ dollar backpack that I can't use because they sent me the wrong belt.

I'm probably sounding bitchy but the experience has soured me a bit and I'm actually thinking of ditching the kifaru and going to stone glacier.

Hey buddy, I'm not sure what you're referring to exactly, but feel free to give me a call and let me know the situation. We swap belts out all the time for people so that's not an issue whatsoever. If we sent the wrong belt out, I apologize for that! 720 937 1418.

I'm hoping you've contacted customer service about this and a belt is on the way already. Either way, I will make sure it gets handled.

Again, feel free to call anytime and I will make sure the belt gets out to you ASAP.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Aron Snyder

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Please keep in mind I'm in the middle of a backpacking trip at the moment and my service is a bit spotty. If the call doesn't go through, leave a text message and I'll call you back as soon as I can. Frank is with me at the moment so we will both be on top of it if it already hasn't been handled.

Aron Snyder

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor

I got to say man, I should have read this post more thoroughly earlier. You're stating that we already have your money and we don't care? That's a crock of s*** as I answer the phone 24/7 to make customers happy.

Honestly, I don't care how old your pack is. Call customer service monday and we will refund your money. I'm not normally like this, but we work way too hard at Kifaru trying to make customers happy and I don't feel your comments reflect that.

2ski

WKR

If I'm looking back through your posts, literally a month ago you placed the order and they quoted you at 3 weeks(FYI I waited 6 weeks a few years ago for mine and did so happily. That was a tough 6 week wait. I had a mental calender I was xing of days waiting for it. Don't think I've ever been that giddy over something I ordered). So max you've had this pack is a week? You have to give them a chance to fix the issue before you can make a comment that they dont care, when you havent even tried to get a hold of them.