Just cant pull the trigger on the 14'r

Coyote813

Lil-Rokslider
Ahhh, the search for the "perfect" daypack continues... I have had that damn 14'r in and out of my shopping cart a dozen times, but I cant bring myself to buy. Lack of internal organization, lack of exterior pockets, the $ tag and so on.

I REALLY wish Kifaru produced the 22mag with an internal frame, with multiple interior pocket attachment points like the E&E. The only thing I can find comparable is the SG Avail. Probably be picking one of those up soon. Heard lots of good things about the taryall - but $530 for a daypack is a little outta my range. I even briefly thought about a bikini frame with the 22 mag, but that drives the price waaay up there for a daypack.

Considering a used T3 as well. Its a little bigger than I would ever need to go as run a reckoning for the serious stuff.

Anyone else found "the one"?

Agreed. I'd really like to see the return of the smaller bags from Kifaru on an internal frame.

The 14'er is a great pack with lots of options for expansion. Feels great on the back, light, nimble, yet very capable. Able to go from Slick to lots of exterior pouches and pockets if needed. My only "gripe" was the lack of full frontal zip. Had it opened all the way up I'd probably still have mine today.

Moved into the Tarryall for my "perfect" day pack and haven't regretted it yet. The built in side and back pockets eliminates the need for adding a bunch of belt pouches. It can expand well for an overnighter or compress flat for a short quick trip. Items seem to be right where I need them and the interior organization works great for me whether I'm spot and stalk on the ground or sitting in a tree. Yes, it's a little pricey but I'm pretty sure it's gonna get passed to my son and grand son one day.

I also found the Tarryall great for 50# training loads at the fire station when I'd leave my Duplex or Bikini at home. If I have a need for serious or awkward loads I just grab a frame and don't look back. Otherwise the Tarryall is my "perfect" day pack and I don't see changing any time soon.

OP
Coyote813

Coyote813

Lil-Rokslider
Thats been one of my hang-ups on the 14'r is the zipper not going all the way up. Kinda clunky access it seems. I love the center zip on my reckoning, but for a day pack - the panel loader seems a whole lot more versatile to me. That and having to add an additional $100 in pockets to the sides.

I know it's no Kifaru or MR or anything high quality like that but I've sold all my day packs and started only using a tz1250 lumbar pack for my day pack, it's just so versatile and I can pack a climbing stand as well while wearing it, I have an Exo 3500 I use if I need extra but the tz has been my go to lately.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I know what you mean Coyote813, I was on the fence for awhile, but I finally bought a 14'r and I really like it. I do wish it had full PALS on the bottom half, tab loops for pods on the bottom and tab loops down the sides for dock-n lock stuff. Also, I wish it came with higher mount loops for the grab-it. The good news is I was able to sew/fix most of these issues on my own, so now it's a pretty awesome piece of gear!

-CrowHunter

They did produce almost exactly a 22Mag with an internal frame... it was called the Xing, or it's little brother the X-Ray (still on the site). I had a X-Ray but sold it.. now I wish I could find a multicam or coyote Xing!

I know what you mean Coyote813, I was on the fence for awhile, but I finally bought a 14'r and I really like it. I do wish it had full PALS on the bottom half, tab loops for pods on the bottom and tab loops down the sides for dock-n lock stuff. Also, I wish it came with higher mount loops for the grab-it. The good news is I was able to sew/fix most of these issues on my own, so now it's a pretty awesome piece of gear!

-CrowHunter

Happen to have some pics of these mods? Would love to see the improvements.

LostArra

WKR
Ahhh, the search for the "perfect" daypack continues... I have had that damn 14'r in and out of my shopping cart a dozen times, but I cant bring myself to buy. Lack of internal organization, lack of exterior pockets, the $ tag and so on.

I REALLY wish Kifaru produced the 22mag with an internal frame, with multiple interior pocket attachment points like the E&E. The only thing I can find comparable is the SG Avail. Probably be picking one of those up soon. Heard lots of good things about the taryall - but $530 for a daypack is a little outta my range. I even briefly thought about a bikini frame with the 22 mag, but that drives the price waaay up there for a daypack.

Considering a used T3 as well. Its a little bigger than I would ever need to go as run a reckoning for the serious stuff.

Anyone else found "the one"?

I don't know what your space requirements are but you might take a look at the MR Scapegoat. There are two sizes. I got the smaller one for daypack/airline carry-on. Good organization and carries well especially for $169. I do wish the belt folded up like the 3DAP but it still fits the overhead on airlines.

Here is a review:
Mystery Ranch Scapegoat 25 Review

Last edited:
OP
Coyote813

Coyote813

Lil-Rokslider
You're right, that xing is a sweet pack! Wish it had the side pockets like the 22mag, but its pretty darn close. If they had that and axed it, then I can pretty much give up all hope on an internal framed 22mag.

Lawnboi

WKR
Besides price, I can't see how someone could want more organization, once some pockets are applied.

You've got 2 sleeves inside, an interior top pocket, chamber pocket, exterior top pocket and bladder pocket. You can add 2 spotting scope pockets or 4 belt pouches to the exterior.

And even with the pockets, it's still a light pack

On top of that you get a pack that has the suspension to handle 50 pounds with comfort and shoulder lift.

i've tried so many daypacks it's hard to keep track at this point. partly because i like trying new gear and partly because they always seem like a compromise. i'm kind of interested in trying the scapegoat 35 now. seems like a good mixture of access, organization, load capability, and price.

OP
Coyote813

Coyote813

Lil-Rokslider
You kinda hit my biggest issue with it in the first sentance...price. $450 bare is bit steep for a day pack to begin with - but its a Kifaru and you get what you pay for with the awesome quality. But when you start adding pockets to it, the $ can get "out of control" quickly. 2 spotting scope pockets? $100. 4 belt pouches? $120, (not to mention the 2 for the waistbelt). It would be pretty easy to sink a $600 bill into a 14'r. Now $600 is a darn fair price for a duplex frame and a 5000+ cu/in bag. Im just looking for something that has better built in organization, ease of access, and still gives you the ability to tote 40lbs or so if needed (and that is pretty darn heavy for daypack gear), thats not going to cost what my frame and Reckoning cost. I think there are packs out there that fit those needs that are still extremely high quality for about half the price of a decked out 14'r. Closest I can find is SG or MR. There just aren't a bunch of panel-loaders out there with the built in side pockets.

Lawnboi

WKR
I totally understand the price concern, accessories get expensive. Imo it's worth it if you plan on hanging onto it, and have other k packs that you can transfer accessories to/from. I likely won't replace mine anytime soon, same goes for my duplex/highcamp.

kcm2

WKR
I bought my first Kifaru pack in 1998, a Spike Camp. I honestly have no memory of what I paid for it. It's still good as new. My Late Season is a second gen pack, still good as new. One of my hunting partners has my 1st Gen Late Season, still good as new, and another has one of the Navigators from 2002, which he still uses and is still good as new.

Are you starting to see a trend here?

kcm2

WKR
Next, you'll be telling me I have too many guns and too many bows. I don't need that kind of negativity in my life. :)

And to be fair, I just bought a new Mountain Warrior a short while ago. It's destined to be my go to elk and deer pack in the mountain hinderlands.

The KU 3700 is the one I use the least, just because it's not as good at packing out game.

No, I don't have too many packs. Being single has advantages, and sporting goods tend to be one of them.

Last edited:
OP
Coyote813

Coyote813

Lil-Rokslider
I bought my first Kifaru pack in 1998, a Spike Camp. I honestly have no memory of what I paid for it. It's still good as new. My Late Season is a second gen pack, still good as new. One of my hunting partners has my 1st Gen Late Season, still good as new, and another has one of the Navigators from 2002, which he still uses and is still good as new.

Are you starting to see a trend here?

You sir, have been Kifaru'd. The only known cure is to buy one of everything on their website, then, after a year of swimming in your pile of cordura and silnylon like Scrooge McDuck, realize you have a problem. Then list all your accessories on ebay and watch them sell above new retail price.