KUIU Ultra 1800 - load test

rino

FNG
Been looking at the KUIU ultra 1800 for a while and pulled the trigger recently. I haven't had this in the field yet but here's a light load test for those of you curious about the pack.

I loaded up another pack (used as a container for the load) with 45# of frozen meat (and bag of rice). Ultra 1800 is around 3#, plus had 4# of gear in the pack for a total pack weight of 52lbs.

I compared it to my mystery ranch nice frame (with load sling).

Comfort: I would say the KUIU ultra is 25% more comfortable with the load.

Stability:The kuiu seems to ride better and not sway as much.

Slippage: The hipbelt fits better and tightens up better on the kuiu.

Confidence in straps and buckles: I would guess the Kuiu is "just enough" but don't abuse it whereas the Mystery ranch is overkill on straps and buckles.

Can't wait to get some blood on it.

The Ultra 1800 seems like a great pack!

Attachments

• IMG_20170730_221748.jpg
    IMG_20170730_221748.jpg
    93.7 KB · Views: 190
  • IMG_20170730_223715.jpg
    IMG_20170730_223715.jpg
    88.2 KB · Views: 180
  • IMG_20170730_224157.jpg
    IMG_20170730_224157.jpg
    90.6 KB · Views: 172

AlaskaEd

WKR
I have the Nice frame and have used it for many years with stupid loads and beat the crap out of it usually with the crew cab mounted on it. That is one bombproof (sometimes literally) pack. My biggest complaint, and the reason I don't use it anymore, is the short frame and lack of load lifters. No matter how I adjusted it it was terrible on my shoulders. With the load sling/crew cab you just can't get that weight off your shoulders. I guess I was too motivated (dumb) to care. Their other packs (I have a 6500 as well) have an integrated frame that raises the Nice frame up a bit which is waaay nicer. I'll never use the crew cab again.

dplantz

Lil-Rokslider
Just enough, with only 52lbs, probably shouldn't be a confidence builder. I'd recommend comping against stone glacier, exo, kifaru. You can often purchase those through third party retailer stock who will allow returns, certainly if you pay for shipping. Even direct sell may allow you a return if you talk to them in advance and let em know what you're looking to do

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

OP
rino

rino

FNG
Looked at stone glacier (they are located in my town)...tested with load, unimpressed. Agree my 52# load test wasn't a full test but it comes close to a front qtr trip (less internet exaggeration). Last years first load trip with rear qtr, backstraps, neck, rifle sucked...was warm and i had to beat the heat. Im extrapolating thru this test that the kuiu will outperform my MR. Havent had time for a good full weight field test...but Aug 15 hopefully i can with a speedgoat!

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

OP
rino

rino

FNG
Intent of post was showing a mid range load...

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Not much love for KUIU packs on this site. I like mine, I routinely have mine loaded up with 65 lbs + for training purposes. I don't beat on any gear that I own purposely, but it has held up well for 3 years.

GKPrice

Banned
as I see it, the "problem" with testing with less than absolute maximum is when you in a spot that really sucks and HAVE to load it to said "absolute maximum" and it fails leaving you standing there wondering what to do ...... "unimpressed with Stone Glacier"..... hmmmm

dotman

WKR
as I see it, the "problem" with testing with less than absolute maximum is when you in a spot that really sucks and HAVE to load it to said "absolute maximum" and it fails leaving you standing there wondering what to do ...... "unimpressed with Stone Glacier"..... hmmmm

Hard to believe if unimpressed with SG that anyone would be with Kuiu. The Ultra bags are super thin and not durable compared to SG so one needs to take care of the bag. I've had the ultra 1800, 3000 and 6000 bags and they while light weight are not going to take much abuse but you can't make something that light weight and not sacrifice durability. I would think coming from an MR this would be a concern.

The Kuiu ultra i had was bad with heavy loads , so much so that i used a Kelty Redcloud 90 instead of it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
rino

rino

FNG
Geez...does anyone read the post??? It was an initial test, for heaven sakes I was in my boxers in the house!!! I posted these for anyone curious about "some weight" in the pack. Not once did I say it was a full load test. Go shoot a whitetail buck, bone it and weigh it. It won't be anywhere near internet folklore elk quarter weights. And yes, I tested the stone glacier with about 60 some pounds in it and no...I wasn't impressed. Others may be but that's for them to decide. I pack light when I hunt and more often than not you return to the truck with pack and no game. I bought the ultra for a light pack that can carry quarters. Read: I tested it with 52lbs FWIW.View attachment 55164

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Congrats you are happy with your purchase. I will mention 2 things that jumped at me with your MR setup though (if you care about improving it at all).

1) Get the load lifter extension if really wanting to haul with it, comfort is improved and weight is offloaded from shoulders.

2) You have your load sling adjusted very low, feed out the bottom more so the panel comes up the load more (get the side straps closer to horizontal) and I bet the sway issue would be addressed.

P.S. not sure what folklore you mention on elk quarters, a different thread some legit numbers were laid out recently. But in general a raghorn bull (netting ~220lb of boned meat) the rear deboned is ~55lb, very large bulls can be closer to 70lb but 50-60lb is a good planning point. With some basic gear, water, and weight of the pack itself a total of a 70-75lb load to haul a single rear elk quarter pencils out if not going completely bare bones. But as you noted deer loads don't necessarily equate to elk loads.

Last edited:
OP
rino

rino

FNG
Congrats you are happy with your purchase. I will mention 2 things that jumped at me with your MR setup though (if you care about improving it at all).

1) Get the load lifter extension if really wanting to haul with it, comfort is improved and weight is offloaded from shoulders.

2) You have your load sling adjusted very low, feed out the bottom more so the panel comes up the load more (get the side straps closer to horizontal) and I bet the sway issue would be addressed.

P.S. not sure what folklore you mention on elk quarters, a different thread some legit numbers were laid out recently. But in general a raghorn bull (netting ~220lb of boned meat) the rear deboned is ~55lb, very large bulls can be closer to 70lb but 50-60lb is a good planning point. With some basic gear, water, and weight of the pack itself a total of a 70-75lb load to haul a single rear elk quarter pencils out if not going completely bare bones. But as you noted deer loads don't necessarily equate to elk loads.

Yup...agree on those load numbers. They are reasonable to me. Wasn't intending to go down the elk quarter discussion path as a search will uncover all those threads. The way I figure...a boned speedgoat or deer will be slightly over what I tested the other night, a rear elk quarter obviously more but depending on size not a ton (was primarily comparing the KUIU to my modified MR with the exact same load). Agree...if I was packing any sort of distance I would adjust the load shelf on the MR. I have it in all the way so when carried empty it lays nice when tightened. As for load lifters, agree...they would help. Haven't got a set of those and they would help. The kid gets the hand-me-down MR this year and will often ride in my truck as an "O-shit" my pack broke, Plan B option. I usually carry a second pack in case someone shows to help. All in All, I feel the new pack is superior to the MR in all but 1. strap buckle (MR obviously borderline overkill) and 2. quickness in adjusting to load carry (not really an issue as an extra few minutes of adjusting is insignificant).

So far...I can envision the Ultra 1800 being a great niche pack for me. 3 lbs light...left side pocket for my tripod, spotting scope option for center pocket...detachable options is nice (sometimes on MTB, sometimes bow, sometimes rifle etc). If I want to pack in my plan will be to sandwich a drybag in the middle for gear. I pack light typically so a small pack suffices. Warm wx bow overnighters might see me carrying a 1lb sleeping bag, 2lb hammock, puffy jacket etc. My volume demand is low and the small daypack size is very appealing. As mentioned before, the pack seems to be a great size as most hunts are empty handed so size the pack accordingly. Rifle season I don't carry much more than bow season (puffy jacket plus softshell, thicker gloves, emergency bivy is usally the difference)

Thx for your reply :)

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
(was primarily comparing the KUIU to my modified MR with the exact same load). Agree...if I was packing any sort of distance I would adjust the load shelf on the MR. I have it in all the way so when carried empty it lays nice when tightened. As for load lifters, agree...they would help. Haven't got a set of those and they would help.

Setting the load up in the pack is relevant a bit if comparing and saying the MR was looser side/side was all I was touching on. I understand having the panel sucked up normally to lye flat, just need to loosen 2 ladderlocks to adjust the load which does make a difference in things. W/o load lifters the NICE frame will never live up to its comfort potential but sounds like you found a frame that suits your needs now so its all good. Just pointing out those two points for anyone reading and making pack decisions. A NICE with load lifters and the sling adjusted will rank differently than one w/o.

What didn't you like about the SG? Have heard quite a bit of good stuff on those but haven't tried one myself.

LaHunter

WKR
Good thread rino,
The Kuiu Ultra is not intended to be a super heavy duty hauler. It is a light weight pack for those who are really into packing light wt. It is a pack for a specific type of hunter, is my impression of it. I have a hunting buddy that has one and likes it and he is into super light wt. If you are happy so far with your pack, that's what's important. As you get out and use it training and hunting, you will obviously get a better feel for it.
Hopefully someone reading it that may be considering this pack can use some of the information you posted and help them on their decision.