Kifaru Lumbar Pad Rubbing

SLDMTN

Super Moderator
Staff member
Newest gen pack frame, when I load it with 60+ and hike uphill the top 2" of the lumbar pad rubs my back raw. Is it easier/better to order flat back stays or just recurve/bend the normal stays? (If that is the issue...) Never messed with one before, thanks in advance.

Daniel_M

WKR
Pull out the aluminum stays, copy the bend on a box or something. Bend the bottoms back a .5" at a time until the pressure is gone. I've had the same issue in the past and this was resolved at Aron's recommendation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

colonel00

WKR
I went with aluminum stays in my frame because I have a weird shape to my back. I actually got the ultralight frame and then bought 1/4" aluminum stock from the hardware store to make my own stays. It's a bit easier to form than what Kifaru uses.

Backing up a bit, what stays do you have? You don't mention it so it's hard to say. Then again, what happened to the Barney's "Earth Swallower" :)

OP
SLDMTN

SLDMTN

Super Moderator
Staff member
I went with aluminum stays in my frame because I have a weird shape to my back. I actually got the ultralight frame and then bought 1/4" aluminum stock from the hardware store to make my own stays. It's a bit easier to form than what Kifaru uses.

Backing up a bit, what stays do you have? You don't mention it so it's hard to say. Then again, what happened to the Barney's "Earth Swallower" :)

I have aluminum stays in my Kifaru frame. I like the bag options and waist belt of Kifaru much better. My Barney's pack will always have a place in my home for the ridiculous volume loads and for just straight meat haul. They're TOUGH to beat for strapping moose quarters and just pushing.

OP
SLDMTN

SLDMTN

Super Moderator
Staff member
Just a quick update if anyone else stumbles across this same issue:

I flattened the stays quite a bit near the bottom (like Daniel suggested, thank you) and it feels better when I'm hunched over hiking uphill with weight. No more rubbing 👍🏻

I definitely should have ordered the flat stays.

colonel00

WKR
You can always try the arrow stays. I might even have an extra set you could try out.

OP
SLDMTN

SLDMTN

Super Moderator
Staff member
You can always try the arrow stays. I might even have an extra set you could try out.

Thanks for the offer, I like how it rides now though. I had 30(ish, I didn't have Luke's pack scale :D) in it yesterday and it felt good. Lot of vertical gain combined with a warm day had me sucking wind pretty bad. I'll keep experimenting with it as loads increase this fall (hopefully).