Which Backpack

kcm2

WKR
Call Kifaru, speak to Aron or Frank Peralta, both know their stuff. The tactical frame would be suited for half an elk. I've taken one hind quarter and one shoulder bone-in a couple of times in my old Longhunter, without incident. The new tactical frame seems even better to me, but it's new, and hasn't had more than 30-40 lbs in it.

I'd suggest just getting a larger bag, and cinching it down. I'm doing that with the Mountain Warrior, it shrinks down well. Then, later, if you see the need, get a smaller bag for certain events.

Of course, I'm the guy with several other Kifaru packs, but I've been using them since 1998. Went all Kifaru in 02, I think....never regretted it.

texag10

WKR
As was mentioned previously, what features are important to you will steer you one way or the other.

I like Seek Outside because I don't really care about organization in the bag, but love the light weight and durable, waterproof fabric. Others would hate having what is essentially a 4800 cu in roll top drybag with a side zipper for their packbag.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Call Kifaru, speak to Aron or Frank Peralta, both know their stuff. The tactical frame would be suited for half an elk. I've taken one hind quarter and one shoulder bone-in a couple of times in my old Longhunter, without incident. The new tactical frame seems even better to me, but it's new, and hasn't had more than 30-40 lbs in it.

I'd suggest just getting a larger bag, and cinching it down. I'm doing that with the Mountain Warrior, it shrinks down well. Then, later, if you see the need, get a smaller bag for certain events.

Of course, I'm the guy with several other Kifaru packs, but I've been using them since 1998. Went all Kifaru in 02, I think....never regretted it.

I chose the tactical frame for that reason, I do elk and moose so I wanted the heavier duty frame.

I don't think kifaru is all that complicated, you just pick a pack that suits you and add pockets and accessories as you go. I chose the fulcrum because I like the external pockets and even though it's their biggest pack I can still just use external pockets and the wing pockets and day hunt with it and still be able to carry a heavy load out.

After I got the pack I went back and ordered a native lid, bottle holder and a belt pouch, if anything I'll get one more medium pocket. I think with the native lid between the wing pockets it will be nearly perfect for sheep hunting and be able to do everything from pack in to base camp, compress down for day hunting and then be able to pack out heavy.

It's taken me a bit of time to get it dialed in but I think I'm pretty close now, I packed 70lbs up a 1000 foot vertical ski run 2 times this morning and if felt good.

Greenback

FNG
I'll throw a plug in for Seek Outside as well. They check every box for me and I have zero complaints. All of the packs mentioned have the vertical frame rigidity to handle heavy loads and keep weight of of your shoulders if the frame is sized correctly. I think fit is the most important thing with a comfortable pack and the SO packs are just more adjustable than anything else out there. Frame height from 24-28, belt height, float, captured, full wrap belt or lumbar pad all changed per your whim. They are also the lightest weight, waterproof material, and crazy versatile with the 360 degree compression system w talon. I just added the lumbar pad and it has increased comfort for me.

338edge

Lil-Rokslider
Not sure I can help much here in terms of overall experience, I am a newbie to this but I did just go through this myself, and spent a lot of time obsessing. But I can at least share my recent experience with you FWIW.

Living in Texas, I did not have a chance to try the packs like I would have liked to, so I would say if you get the chance to try them all on, with lots of weight in them, that's probably your deciding factor. Gotta have weight though, even cheapo packs I tried on empty felt fine.

In addition, there is the 'customization and organization' style that you have to consider. Some people like bags that are not much more than a stuff sack, others want everything in it's place and a place for everything, and they want it their way. I am probably closer to the latter...so I can quickly find what I want and not forget it where I last put it. So that is another characteristic that might help you differentiate.

Myself, I really like the lightweight of SG, also knowing it's built by a respected guy who sheep hunts. MR has been around and I like how their bags were layed out, for the most part. But in the end I went with Kifaru. A couple reasons...while others are as well, Kifaru is pretty well considered a safe bet in quality and hauling capability/comfort. Another, I am near 6'3", and the ability to get a 26" frame was nice, not everyone has that. The way they think of the customizability of the bags was good for me, I like lots of organization and customization potential.

But in the end, one thing stood out for me. Twice in the past few years, I had texted Aron Snyder a question, and each time he called me back, in one case from the side of a mountain on a saturday from a sat phone. He took time to explain stuff to me and totally got it when I explained my financial capabilities, in one case, pushing me away from the edge on something that he said was too much to spend for me and overkill. This year, when I finally was able to buy, on Memorial Day weekend, on Sunday afternoon, as I was about to pull the trigger on a MR Pintler, I noted a deal on Kifaru that I was thinking was wrong, but that made it financially feasible for me. Guiltily, I texted Aron to see if I understood the terms correctly and if I could wait until Monday or Tuesday to get it done and just call in then. He said call me now...I told him I could wait, he said no, call me now. He spent the next hour going over options with me and setting me up as efficiently (use and money wise) as possible.

I had spoken to at least one other of the pack companies on your list, they were polite and nice.. but I did not end up getting the help I needed. Since getting my pack from Kifaru, and through the whole process of finalizing what I wanted, CS was unbelievable with everyone I talked to. One of their guys setup facetime so he could look at my set up and help walk me through an adjustment. Aron certainly sets the standard, but the whole company seems to offer the same, including AFTER the sale, and that really means something to me. All American made, and customer service better than any I have experienced anywhere else.

Again, I am not an experienced backpacker, so take it FWIW, but hope that helps in your decision making process.
I have had simular experiences with Kifaru and Aaron. I love my nomad attached to my 2nd generation frame!!

Corey

OP
treillw

treillw

WKR
Do the Kifaru packs have the 100% waterproof material on the side of the bag that contacts the frame? That's a nice feature to keep your bags contents from getting bloody.

Same question for the Exo bags. :)

Thank you all for your help!

Last edited:
OP
treillw

treillw

WKR
From what I've watched online, the Kifaru doesn't have a meat shelf - BUT you can loosen the bag, add your meat, and tighten it again to essentially do the same thing. Correct?

I can see not having an actual bottom on the shelf as being slightly problematic. I would think that boned meat would want to poop out the bottom between the two compression straps. I'm sure it would stabilize itself eventually and be ok, but I've tied enough meat bags onto an aluminum frame to know that you pretty much have to have the whole thing wrapped up in rope to get it stabilized or its a pain.

What kind of meat bags do people run with the Kirafu packs?

Overall which is the best frame for hauling meat? Stone Glacier, Kifaru, Exo, etc. Meat hauling capability is my #1 criteria. I wouldn't necessarily need a fancy pack to just carry my gear. I could probably get by with something from Walmart for carrying 30 pounds of gear around for day hunts (would need something bigger for multiday). That said, a great meat hauling frame that is also good to great at hauling gear would be what I'm after.

From what I've watched online, the Kifaru doesn't have a meat shelf - BUT you can loosen the bag, add your meat, and tighten it again to essentially do the same thing. Correct?

Incorrect. The Reckoning, among others, has a meat shelf. Please see this video in which Aron shows its usage at 4:06: Reckoning part2 - YouTube

I can see not having an actual bottom on the shelf as being slightly problematic. I would think that boned meat would want to poop out the bottom between the two compression straps. I'm sure it would stabilize itself eventually and be ok, but I've tied enough meat bags onto an aluminum frame to know that you pretty much have to have the whole thing wrapped up in rope to get it stabilized or its a pain.

What kind of meat bags do people run with the Kirafu packs?

The meat bags that Kifaru sells are really good in that they are long and thin, so stacking two of them side by side alleviates that meat flowing all the way to the bottom.

Overall which is the best frame for hauling meat? Stone Glacier, Kifaru, Exo, etc. Meat hauling capability is my #1 criteria. I wouldn't necessarily need a fancy pack to just carry my gear. I could probably get by with something from Walmart for carrying 30 pounds of gear around for day hunts (would need something bigger for multiday). That said, a great meat hauling frame that is also good to great at hauling gear would be what I'm after.

To me, having had over 2 decades of mountaineering and backpacking experience, can say that the Kifaru pack is THE most comfortable pack I have ever worn.

Here is my 2 week packout with my lovely 5 year old daughter for size reference. You can see the Sitka Flash 20 having been mounted for my day pack: IMG_2809.jpg

I would recommend the Kifaru to anyone wanting to hunt. The chose comes down to which bag you have placed on it, and those can be changed quite easily. I would also recommend calling the people at Kifaru who can guide you to the best pack/bag that suites your needs. And no, I am not a salesman for Kifaru, they just have REALLY good stuff.

Jordan Budd

Super Moderator
Staff member
If your rolling with those heavy loads I'd roll with Kifaru.. they really shine with 60-70+. As far as the website just hit the shop button at the top and that'll get you to all of the products. Or just as everyone said, give the fellas a call. In regards to the comments on "too many options".. that's what makes their packs so unique, is the ability to customize your setup to match you and the hunt. Claiming they have too many options is a bit ridiculous considering most other company's don't have the option.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk