Looking for a "Hybrid" type backcountry/day pack

Rogue541

WKR
Hybrid is more my label for a pack similar to kuiu 7200/1850 that serves as a backcountry pack/ meat hauler and day pack. I've done a little research and have only came up the kuiu pack so far. I currently run the tenzing tz6000 and also pack my tz1250 lumbar pack for day use. What other packs that are somewhat lightweight can serve both purposes with one frame?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tttoadman

WKR
All of the high end packs are made to be all inclusive. There is no reason to pack 2 bags. You can unload your pack gear, and all of these smash down to nothing. I enjoyed the smaller bag that I started with but now I have 2 frames with bags/lids that are 6500 ish.

The only difference may be if you are dedicated to using a load shelf that SG and Kifaru offer. Be careful with this. If you believe you can pack an animal and all your gear off the mountain, you can only afford to put a few things like water and disposable food in the load shelf. If you shoot early, you will have a hard time getting it all in the bag.

OP
Rogue541

Rogue541

WKR
Cool thanks tttoadman. I'll be doing a 6 night trip that is about 5 miles in so fewer trips out is awesome. I like the mystery ranch and kuiu setup mentioned above. The smaller pack for day trips for Blacktail is my other priority. Just need to make sure my legs can match the pack capacity now!

Lariat

FNG
I've been looking for the same "hybrid" style pack. I know several companies offer different bags to suit these needs, but I want to be able to do it all with one bag. I'm really leaning towards the Stone Glacier Sky 5900 after doing some research. Good luck, and let me know what you find.

OP
Rogue541

Rogue541

WKR
Sounds good will do Lariat, I'll check out the Stone glacier pack as well! Thanks

bmart2622

WKR
I will 2nd the Sky 5900. I spent the last 4 years looking for the perfect do all pack. I tried the 2 bag set up from Kuiu, 4 different Kifaru bags and a SG Solo, which was very very close, and none of them worked quite like I was hoping they would. Then I tried the Sky 5900 and my search ended. It compresses great for a light and sleek day pack, it has the back pocket for easy access without having to undo straps and buckles and can then expand with a lid to be big enough for extended trips. Plus the load sling is the best I have used and the improvements of the new XCurce frame make it as comfortable as my Duplex frame.

OP
Rogue541

Rogue541

WKR
That does sound like the right option now, it sounds like you guys know your bags so I'll take your word for it! Does the 5900 come in other colors than the grey?

OP
Rogue541

Rogue541

WKR
No prob, quality over cosmetics any day. Thanks again guys

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I had similar needs so I went with the kifaru fulcrum on a 28" tactical frame.

I chose the fulcrum because I wanted to be able to pack in for several days but then be able to compress the pack down for day hunts out of camp. The fulcrum works well for that because I can fit all my "day" stuff in the wing pockets and accessory pockets (puffy, rain gear, food, kill kit, optics etc) and have the main bag compressed and ready for use if I get an animal.

I actually hiked about 14 miles today with it in day mode with most of my normal day gear (minus the rifle) and a 45lb sand bag strapped right in the main compartment. It worked really really well.

If I was going to try something else, I'd look at one of th stone glacier packs that are smaller day packs that use the full size frame, that would be awesome for strict day hunts.

OP
Rogue541

Rogue541

WKR
That sounds super solid too I'll definitely check that out. Thanks