Eberlestock greatness

mcseal2

WKR
I have been training with my Eberlestock Mainframe with a 50lb bag of cattle mineral in the Transformer bag attached to it, plus some other stuff. I'm carrying it 2.5 miles every other day or so up the steepest stuff around and doing it pretty comfortable. I went about 6 miles tonight with 35lbs in a Team Elk pack comfortably. Eberlestock makes a decent pack and a great way to carry a rifle. My only complaint about them is the weight, my fishing scale shows my Team Elk empty at 8lbs, the Mainframe and Transformer only a shade lighter. That's pretty heavy for a daypack. I'm waiting for my new Exo 2000 to arrive tomorrow to see if it works as well or better at almost half the weight. I do like the layout of the Mainframe with the scabbard and batwings but don't think I'll be buying the wings just yet.

I'm not stuck on any one brand of pack or clothes I just like to find what fits me and my use best. My camo sure doesn't match, I have a thing or two from all the main technical hunting brands and they all work.

timely subject. after seeing some reviews on the u-tube i have on the way a main frame and bat wings. since i already have a Dragonfly with the super duffel and dry bag so i figured getting the main frame would be a great hauler and ability to throw a duffel on it and or the batwings and go light. for me adding a full feature type bag like the transformer would defeat the purpose of going lighter than my Dragonfly. it seams to be a great budget option to get a heavy hauler but be able to use it more like the Dragonfly when needed. i found a great deal for less than $150.

EastMT

WKR
d70436d4969128cca5c72c80042e73ab.jpg

Here is how I carry my rifle on the mainframe, obviously with the duffel or zip in dry bag over it. Saves weight over having the scabbard on there. I'm planning on getting a small barrel sleeve made that snaps to the loops. I love my barrel pointed down when I'm headed up through the alders. Going down I like it pointed up, way less cussing and abusing innocent plants that way!

Biggs300

Lil-Rokslider
Although I already have a couple of nice hunting packs (Kifaru Longhunter and an Eberlestock J34), I needed something to haul clumsy-size items like turkey decoys, deer blind etc. so I just ordered the F1 Mainframe. I already have a spike camp duffle that I've used with my J34 but also ordered the batwings and J type dry bag. The pack should be lighter than my other hunting packs (even with the batwings and dry bag) and, if it proves to be comfortable and handles a load, I will use it on a CO 3rd rifle season hunt that my hunting buddy and I have planned.

micus

Lil-Rokslider
Awesome frame man, I looked at it hard before I got my current setup. I really like the rigidity of the metal frame a lot. Of the MR, SJK, and SG packs ive tried on, I think the Mainframe that I tried fit me/ was one of the most comfortable of them all. I think you made an awesome choice.

OP
spdcrazy

spdcrazy

Lil-Rokslider
Hitting the mtns now! Used this setup a couple times already and more and more impressed. Loaded up with 52lbs right now. 2.5miles in to Basecamp. Spending 4 days. Come on elk and deer. Pics to follow!

Biggs300

Lil-Rokslider
Quick update. I now have my F1 Mainframe and all the accessories I ordered. The setup I've decided to go with is the F1 Mainframe, 2 Batwings, a zip-in panel, an ES Saddle Bag for hydration, and a 1,900 ci BirdBag/utility bag. I've attached the Saddle Bag and BirdBag to the molly's on the F1 back panel and zipped in the Batwings. This configuration provides just over 3,000 ci and, fully loaded, and should allow me to pack out a full elk quarter either in the birdbag or in front of the collapsed bag, using the zip-in panel between the batwings. Fully loaded, with everything I need for my upcoming CO elk day hunt, it weighs in at just under 19 lbs including 2 liters of water. With the J-type Dry Bag zipped in, it easily becomes a 4 or 5 day pack.

Although I have been critical of the Kifaru Gunbearer in the past, I decided to try it on F1. Because the pack is so narrow, it works much better than on my other packs. To see how it performed with weight, I've loaded the pack with an additional 40 pounds (a bag of stove pellets) and it carried more comfortably than I ever expected. To qualify this, I only carried the pack for only about an hour or so around my home. I think I'm ready for my CO elk hunt in Nov.

2ski

WKR
Is there a difference between this one for shoulder straps vs. Just one? I really wanted to like the just one a few years ago. I was all ready until the salesman said "now let's load it up with weight". So uncomfortable with 50 pounds of shot in it. Then I found this website and I'm glad I bought kifaru. Because of my experience I steer people clear of eberlestock. If this is a significant improvement I'll put this out as an option for people not wanting to drop half a grand or more.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

Biggs300

Lil-Rokslider
With Eberlestocks, it is not so much the shoulder harness but rather the load lifter design. I have a G2 Kifaru Longhunter and a J34 and the Kifaru carries heavier weight more comfortably. I like the J34 for it's features, flexible design and expandability. IMO, the F1 mainframe load lifters perform better than the J34 and is far more comfortable with weight. A few years ago I used the J34 on a 5-day backpack hunt and it performed well but didn't get to test it with any more than just the 60+ pounds I started out with.

Neither carry as well as the Kifaru, but I certainly wouldn't steer anyone away from them. Not everyone buys a backpack to carry elk quarters off of a mountain.

2ski

WKR
No when I tried on the eberle the straps dug into my shoulders. It had nothing to do with load lifters.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

EastMT

WKR
I carried my barneys for 9 days, and I love the suspension but sure missed my eberlestock rifle sleeve. I bought a sleeve, going to see if I can manage to make it work on my barneys.

Biggs300

Lil-Rokslider
2ski, I've never had a problem with my J34 shoulder straps digging into my shoulders. I did have to adjust the yoke down a notch on both my J34 and F1 and, when I did, the fit (for my torso length) was much better. What I've noticed about ES packs is that getting the fit right makes the load lifters function better....maybe not perfect, but noticeably better.

OP
spdcrazy

spdcrazy

Lil-Rokslider
Update. Pack worked well. 45+# on a 2.5 miles hike in. Gain of 1000+ feet starting at 8200ft. Then unloaded, setup camp and zipped the batwings together for a day pack. Hiked about 2-4 miles morning and night for three days. No elk/deer but great start. And loving the pack.

I'm writing this from a hotel in AK now. Getting married in a week or so and I brought my pack with me here for some testing on a buddies moose/bear/goat hunt. Coolest thing was I took the pack with the duffel attached on the plane. Carry-on! No one batted an eye. It's technically 2in longer than it should but it worked and was compressed tightly and lightly loaded.

spdcrazy- can you show pictures of how the scabbard attaches to the mainframe? There isn't a whole lot of information (youtube/forums) available for the mainframe and transformer pack. Congrats on getting married.

OP
spdcrazy

spdcrazy

Lil-Rokslider
spdcrazy- can you show pictures of how the scabbard attaches to the mainframe? There isn't a whole lot of information (youtube/forums) available for the mainframe and transformer pack. Congrats on getting married.

I don't think I have any good pics. I'm in AK now and I didn't bring the scabbard. But it's the typical molle straps. You can put it center, left right, low or high.

OP
spdcrazy

spdcrazy

Lil-Rokslider
View attachment 56856

Pack is working well. Hiked 7.5 miles today going after bear and goat. Buddy took a shot at a big black bear at 291 yards. But couldn't retrieve it. Walked and tracked for miles but will go back and continue tomorrow.

OP
spdcrazy

spdcrazy

Lil-Rokslider
I'm not sure why my pics aren't loading directly. Same as I did it before. Just hit the pic button and upload. Doing it through my Android.

TwoTikkas

WKR
Hey all. I recently purchased the Mainframe. Found one in a nice shop in Ohio. The price was right so it left with me. Really liking it so far. One question. I ordered the Super Spike Duffel for it to get the ball rolling. On the right side of the frame the zipper has a nice hook on the pull. It engages the little loop at the top of the frame nice and securely. The bag zipper for the left side of the frame has two loop pulls. With no way to secure it to the top of the frame,it likes to slide down. I improvised a solution,but not my idea of a fix. Eberlestock sent me a short and sweet reply to my email. Basically,quit bothering us. So,what say you fellers that have these frames? I'm thinking I'll pick up a small carabiner to secure the left side zipper. It's also entirely possible I don't know what I'm doing in the first place,lol.