Eberlestock greatness

spdcrazy

Lil-Rokslider
I'm just beginning to realize I am a bit of a gear fanatic. I can't seem to grasp spending a pile of money on a pack that functions as one thing well, and another thing "ok". And after a bunch of research. I went with eberlestock mainframe external pack. I wanted one piece design (no hinges to loose bolts) I wanted a shelf for putting things on while tieing down quarters. I wanted a narrow frame as I'm narrow in the shoulders as well. And I wanted something that wouldn't be as much as my car payment. The coolest thing about this frame is the zippers on the side. It allowed some flat "panels" to be zipped to it. Which acted as wings to hold meat in place, or gear or whatever. Then to make it better, you can get their spike camp duffel (2400cu in) and zip on onto the frame by itself or onto the panels which allows for a giant cave of a place to put a dry bag of gear. Tucked between the frame duffel and panels.

Now for the best part. They finally came out with what they call batwings. It's a 615cu in pouch. They take the place of the panels, doing the same function but with storage. Very multipurpose as you can attach the duffel to create that large space for a dry bag. Or take the duffel out completely and zip the batwings together for a usable and small compact day pack. Or, you can leave the attached to the pack and have them to hold some meat in place as well. All in all a very versatile pack and for $328 IF you bought straight from the website. I've used the setup with the panels for last year and I'm excited to use the batwings this year. Couldn't find much of a review anywhere as the batwings are new. So hopefully this will help someone. IMG_20170808_205616509.jpgIMG_20170808_205624445.jpgIMG_20170808_205644341.jpg

Last edited:

EastMT

WKR
I have this pack, Just one, and a barneys. I use each for different things. I love rifle sleeves for the ease of getting rifle out. I like my barneys better for super heavy loads, but the mainframe is awesome when busting through alders, narrow and doesn't catch near as much. I hadn't seen the batwings yet, I'll be needing a couple of those......

ams

WKR
To the OP, it is a cool and versatile system at its price for sure. I'm a gear freak too and had to buy this system with the little big top pack just to see how it worked. The little big top is a pretty nice pack also. You're right that there isn't a lot of info out there on them. Part of the reason I had to see it for myself. I wish they put the same belt on it as the Big top pack as it's wider and thicker. It is nice you can run it with their scabbard like you have it.

Last edited by a moderator:

Pro953

WKR
I still run a old X2 as a day pack sometimes. Would not want to haul too much weight in the X2 but it gets the job done.

Congrats on the new pack. Hope you get it bloody this season!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I love my kifaru pack. Many successful hunters use eberlestock, people that can go farther, harder and longer than I. A more expensive pack, does not make a better hunter.

OP, thanks for the post/pics. I'll be showing my buddy this. He loves his eberlestock frame.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

OP
spdcrazy

spdcrazy

Lil-Rokslider
I'm not sure I'd want a wider hip belt myself, but then again I'm a smaller guy. 510 150lbs. I do love the rifle scabbard as well, kept my #1 dry last year multiple times. And hands free!

Archery starts the 26th. Got 6.5 miles to hike in, hoping it gets used heavy on the way out.

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
I really really liked and considered that set up. Just not tall enough for me to get ample lift. The op brings up a point that I rarely see mentioned on pack fitting advice, frame width. I'm narrow too and found this to line up the padding where I needed it.

Congratulations on finding a great set up at very reasonable price.

Thanks for the post. I really love my Eberlestock pack as far as rifle carry. I think mines an older one called the X1 Euro. Either way, so far I've got a Kuiu, Eberlestock and two kifaru frames. Since I can't find what I'm looking for, I'm going Frankenstein on making a pack.

I sure wish Kifaru would just pay a few royalties to Eberlestock and start putting scabbards inside their packs. A 5000cuin Fulcrum with built in rifle scabbard would be perfect.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

I looked at this system long and hard before buying Kifaru. I love the narrow frame. I really like the shelf for your load to set on. If I ever buy just a meat hauler, this is likely the one I'll buy. It's nice to have the batwings too. For daybunts from the truck, load them up with what you need and come out heavy. That's the name of the game. Not the pack brand you run. God Bless men

Clinch

Lil-Rokslider
I run HPG packs pretty much exclusively these days, but since I have decided to take photography more seriously I am having a hard time figuring a good way to carry the camera gear with easy access. I am considering one of Eberlestock's panel loaders with a padded insert. The side pockets are handy for tripods and scopes too. There are definitely some features I miss about Eberle Packs.

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I really really liked and considered that set up. Just not tall enough for me to get ample lift.

My buddy has one I am going to build a bag for (won't be using the zippers since just like their buckles they are using odd sizes causing compatibility issues...). A short frame height limiting load lift for most users was my impression as well for a hauling pack. I have an X2 in my gear pile and give that a pass on height since it is supposed to be a daypack primarily.

OP
spdcrazy

spdcrazy

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for keeping this positive. To each their own on what they like. But even the quote wasn't right. I said fanatic, not freak. I try not to call myself names, j leave that for others. Lol.

I'm hitting the mtn today for a two day quick trip. Batwings will get a workout. And finally a nice place for my spotter and tripod.

Gobbler

FNG
how is it Eberle can make a bag with wings but Kifaru can't have a built in scabbard?

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
I cleaned this thread of all unneeded posts. Please remember to keep it positive and on point or go to a different forum.

To the OP, looks like a cool pack that should serve you well. Remember to circle back during and after hunting season to fill everyone in on your experiences.

boom

WKR
my brother is not a gear freak..he could care less about packs..but he did buy an Eberlestock that he has loaded to the gills. it is a GREAT pack, and he hikes hard with it full of gear and meat. i struggle to keep up with him.

there is zero doubt that he is loaded up and has the pack on his back way before any of us. it is a hunting pack fo so.