Backpack of choice for DIY Elk Hunt

bganz

FNG
I have the MR Marshall and the Pintler, and I love them both.. Rokslide is very Pro kifaru, and I have never had my hands on one, but just remember there any many different great backpack brands. Take the previous advice and answer those questions and try some on. Good luck!

chas

Lil-Rokslider
I have a Exo mountain Gear 3500 that has been great. I just purchased a 5500 for a ten day archery elk hunt next week. Holds a ton of gear and handles loads very well. Great product that gets the job done.

ColoradoHunterHiker

Lil-Rokslider
I'd look at it in a simple manner:

1. Kifaru advertises comfort for heavy loads (All packs will carry 25lbs just fine)
2. Stone Glacier advertises as "ultralight" as does Kuiu.

So, if you're looking to carry a heavy load as comfortable as possible, I'd go with a Kifaru. If you don't plan on doing much more than taking your bow/rifle for a long hike, then any pack is fine. While there is something to not carrying unnecessary weight, don't get tripped up on just counting ounces. That said, I'd try on a few packs/frames before taking the plunge. They all fit differently and some fit some people better than others.

Good Luck!

1signguy

WKR
Packs are similar to shoes. Some will fit you better than others. I am running a Kifaru hunter frame, Nomad, guide lid, and add a camp bag for longer trips. After about 5 days I am ready for a shower, a beer(s) and a real bed- unless I am really in amongst'em. This setup easily accomplishes that and 7 days would be easy... Have had a few other Kifaru bags but this just gave me more flexibility to change to day mode...

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
Sounds like you have some time to try packs. If you are traveling in the near future ask ahead of time if someone in the area has a pack to try. Maybe make a trip to Denver. Obviously you can check out kifaru here also 1shot gear has sg, rmsg has mr. Seek outside is on the other end of the state but there also plenty of members around the area who may show off their packs.

I would focus on a frame first as bag options are plenty.

wyelkhunter

Lil-Rokslider
I just switched from Kifaru to SeekOutside. I am very happy with the change. Research them and if possible try some. If you can't You will probably be happy with what you choose.

eagle#eyes

Lil-Rokslider
I just switched from Kifaru to SeekOutside. I am very happy with the change. Research them and if possible try some. If you can't You will probably be happy with what you choose.

Just out of curiosity, what do you prefer about the Seek Outside over the Kifaru?

Owned and have extensive use with Kifaru, Stone Glacier, Mystery Ranch and Exo......still own the Exo and not looking back.

sndmn11

WKR
Just out of curiosity, what do you prefer about the Seek Outside over the Kifaru?

I like the way the belt conforms to the top of my hips fully, the harness is a little bit different up at my trapezius muscle and is more of a yoke than just two separate straps, the frame articulates with my movements much better than the gen2 hunter frame and xcurve frames I tried before, and the bag designs are very simple and functional.

After trying a couple MR packs and a kuiu pack I bought a kifaru bikini frame, then the new duplex frame... and the truth is that the kifaru is just head and shoulders better. However the kifaru bags and all the add ons strapped all over it just never really was something I liked, and you can get into a crazy amount of money trying to set it up how you want. I am now using a stone glacier x curve. I love it. And I like the bag options much better than the kifaru options. I dont really miss the kifaru like I thought I might. If your willing to pay kifaru prices I would be comparing SG and Kifaru rather than MR.

SHTF

WKR
Classified Approved
Ive used them all Kifaru, Exo, Seek Outside, Kuiu, Stone Glacier. The stone glacier is the one Im running this year and is the most comfortable pack for me. It just feels like its a part of me instead of riding on my back. Thats what you want to look for. What you can carry comfortably and has the options you want. Take it from a guy who has tried them all. What pack fits and works for one guy may not for the next. So you should try them all until you find the one that works.
Packs are like Boots not every boot is going to work for one guy the same as the next. Any of the companies I mentioned here will have great quality, customer service and decent resale value. So you won't be loosing out by buying a pack if it doesn't work for you. You should be able to resell it without much issue for close to what you paid.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I do NOT agree that Kifaru, SG and EXO are the top three of packs, and I currently use an older Bozo-made Dana Terraframe, I have modded to haul meat and emerg. gear. My main packs are now SO Divide MC fully rigged and the new SO Exposure 5000.

I have carried a LOT of packs in 61 years of hiking, 53 years of hunting and while working for the BC and Alberta resource depts. I have not used an EXO or an SG, but, had two Kifarus, 1st. gen. and could not make them work as well as the several MRs I had......FIT, comes first and some designs work better for some body types than do others.

So, I would examine as many of the high end packs as you can, then, pick the one which is most comfy FOR YOU. I like SO as they are SO light, simple in design and nothing has ever been quite as comfortable for me. All of the top end makers will give stellar service and all of them make gear that we could not even dream of when I was young.

Call the various guys and discuss your needs, then consider the advice you get and go from there. If, I were younger and richer, I would try an EXO, new model Kifaru and an SG, lots of fun and they hold their value in the "pre-owned" market.

HTH-JMHO.

What packs do you consider the best if not kifaru, stone glacier and exo? Not trying to pick a fight, I'm honestly curious. I've used lots of backpacking packs like Dana, Gregory and older Colorado made ospreys, I've also messed with a lot of by ting packs like eberlestock, badlands, Sitka, etc.

Now I'm using a new kifaru pack (fulcrum, tactical frame) and even though there were a few hiccups at first, now that I've had a chance to use it and really haul some weight in the mountains with it, I can't really imagine what I would do differently.

Right now my only other pack in the rotation is a barneys pinnacle and I mostly just use the frame to haul moose out of the swamps but I've used it for 10 day sheep hunts as well. It handles weight really well but isn't as comfortable as the kifaru when I throw ~ 75lbs into it.

I'm looking to get a new overnight/2-3 day pack and even though the fulcrum would be just fine, I'm sort of interested in grabbing that stone glacier solo so I can compare their frame directly to the kifaru frame.

DWhitt

Lil-Rokslider
I'm going on my first diy elk hunt this year. I was torn between the kifaru and stone glacier Xcurve frame with the sky talus 6900 pack. I choose the kifaru reckoning pack with the duplex frame. I love it. The one on one customer service Aron and the others provide is hard to beat. I've talked with Kurt from SG also and he was very helpful also. I might just try a xcure frame in the future but I love my kifaru setup!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bld6159

FNG
I've got a MR metcalf. It's my first high end pack, had an elberstock before, so I don't have much to compare it too. I love this thing though. It's got the new guide frame and it's light and moves with u very well. I've had 60lbs in it training and it rides very well. I'll be using it to pack in for 3-5 days this season and think it will be the perfect size.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Jimss

WKR
I'm a Kifaru follower. I was torn between Kifaru and Stone Glacier but like the adaptability of Kifaru (both bags and accessories). SG also didn't come in camo. You might do a search on the Alaska hunting website. There are a lot of Barney's followers. They are built for hauling extreme loads. When I was looking the MR were a large chunk heavier weight than other similar sized packs. Not sure if the new models are lighter?

Gumbo

WKR
I think Kifaru is the most comfortable of what I have run (Kifaru, Stone Glacier, MR, Eberlestock, Badlands) but I am not impressed with the quality of craftsmanship for what you have to pay. I have had issues with stitching separating on two belts, although customer service is spectacular. Alternatively, MR is a little less comfy on my back (I have old style NICE frames w/ loadlifters, crew cab, overload, and Marshall) but the quality of craftsmanship and materials is absolutely top notch. The reason they get the military contracts is that they are absolutely bomb-proof and have exceptionally tight specs and quality control. Will this continue with over-seas manufacturing in the hunting line? Hopefully, but again I can't comment because I haven't tested the new MR packs although I have looked at the new Guidelight frames and the new bags. For the price I think these are going to be very tough to beat by any pack manufacturer in terms of quality and craftsmanship. One big difference is bare bones modularity for Kifaru vs. built-in pocket design for MR. I am kind of surprised that MR is so ignored by users of this forum and that Kifaru is so popular when they are so expensive and not as burly as MR. The old SG frame was very uncomfortable on my back and craftsmanship was in between Kifaru and MR in my opinion.

Before the bashing begins, I have a Kifaru hunter frame and two bags. I am running one now over my MR bags simply because of the slight edge in comfort factor and layout of the old nomad. They are both great packs, it just depends on what you are looking for.