Kuiu Icon Pro Question

Ag111

Lil-Rokslider
I'm running a Kuiu 1850 in two weeks for early season elk in Colorado. I've played around with the pack with and without the carbon fiber frame. Right now I'm at 25 pounds including optics, weapons, water, packed clothes, etc. Do you think I'm better off going with or without the carbon frame? The aluminum stays are pretty good in my opinion but I'd like to hear what y'all are doing with this pack for day hunting. Thanks

CLICKBANGBANG

Lil-Rokslider
I tried the no frame on a few walks last year. The frame went back on and I'm glad I did.

If you are 200 yards from a truck to your blind or stand and you need to pack your lunch and a jacket, no frame is perfect. At 25 lbs going into elk camp, for sure take the frame in.

How did you get 25 lbs into the 1850?

My question as well. That bag is tiny. I went to the 5200 after one season. I guess you must be hanging stuff on the outside.

I will never go without the frame. Even 25 lbs after a week will kill your shoulders. I hate "stay" type packs though.

Rockey

FNG
I like the 1850 for short hunts and summer scouting trips. Hunted with it last year and just wasn't enough space in my opinion. So i purchased the new 3200 bag and its perfect I feel. Large enough for a 1-3 day outing if your desire is to use it on a backpacking trip, and perfect for a day pack as well with plenty of space and not too bulky. With the frame you have the load sling capability and option to carry out meat at any time.

OP
Ag111

Ag111

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for the feedback. 25lbs includes the weight of the pack, my kuiu Bino harness(with 10x42 and rangefinder), and my bow strapped to the outside. With 2L of water there is only about 10lbs of gear inside the pack.

xziang

WKR
I would run the frame for sure, doesn't add much weight and will/would be more comfortable if you do decide to haul something out. shed/meat/cool looking boulder. lol

ColoradoHunterHiker

Lil-Rokslider
Frame for sure!!! Why go back to the truck without taking some meat with you. Get the meat out quicker! Plus, that frame is really light to begin with.

Good Luck

OP
Ag111

Ag111

Lil-Rokslider
Based on the feedback above I will be putting the frame back on the pack! Thanks guys!