Kifaru pack for the midwest whitetail/turkey hunter

ddenney

FNG
I'm looking for suggestions and pictures of what packs people are using for their whitetail rigs. I'm looking for ideas on packs that can pull double duty for a western hunt as well. I've been eyeing the nomad 2 with a native/quandary but would like ideas on what everyone else uses before I pull the trigger.
Thanks!

Jmock97

Lil-Rokslider
I use a 26 bikini strapped to my tree stand with a guide lid to carry any thing I need for the day. Then have a 26 duplex with a argali bag I use to haul deer out with.

Coyote813

Lil-Rokslider
Man, where to start... I'm not a one-and-done pack guy. It depends on how you will be using it. If you dont pack out your whitetails, then a full frame pack is super overkill. BUT, if you could only have one pack to do everything, I highly recommend the nomad. It is truly a jack of all trades, master of none pack though. There are better packs for day hunting whitetails, there are better packs for hauling out elk out of the mountains - but few can do both the way the nomad can.

When Im day hunting deer from a semi-permanent stand, I tote the E&E. When I go to the hills for a week, I take the reckoning. Turkey hunting is a sweet spot for the nomad if you hunt out of a ground blind or with bulky decoys. All of my stuff is Kifaru, but dont overlook Stone glacier, exo, or mystery ranch either. MR makes great daypacks, but dont seem to be as robust for serious hauling like the Kifaru, SG, or Exo.

If they made the perfect "do-it-all" pack everyone would have it. But, in my opinion, the nomad is hard to beat for versatility.

Nomad or cargo panel. Even a decent frameless pack sucks with any amount of gear over a decent distance.

OP
D

ddenney

FNG
Man, where to start... I'm not a one-and-done pack guy. It depends on how you will be using it. If you dont pack out your whitetails, then a full frame pack is super overkill. BUT, if you could only have one pack to do everything, I highly recommend the nomad. It is truly a jack of all trades, master of none pack though. There are better packs for day hunting whitetails, there are better packs for hauling out elk out of the mountains - but few can do both the way the nomad can.

When Im day hunting deer from a semi-permanent stand, I tote the E&E. When I go to the hills for a week, I take the reckoning. Turkey hunting is a sweet spot for the nomad if you hunt out of a ground blind or with bulky decoys. All of my stuff is Kifaru, but dont overlook Stone glacier, exo, or mystery ranch either. MR makes great daypacks, but dont seem to be as robust for serious hauling like the Kifaru, SG, or Exo.

If they made the perfect "do-it-all" pack everyone would have it. But, in my opinion, the nomad is hard to beat for versatility.

Yea I know a full framed pack is overkill, but overkill can be overrated lol. I'm a gear junky so I also know this will probably be a slippery slope. I do alot of bowhunting for turkeys out of blinds plus taking people who have never been and a blind is the best way I've found to introduce them to it. Man those double bulls, chairs, decoys get heavy. That's what has drawn me to the nomad. I'm sure it won't be the 'best' option for everything but it sure looks like a jack of all trades type of pack.
Also kinda drawn to the Apollo for a day pack.
Basically what I'm going for is something that if I decide to pack in a stand to a new location, I can do it. I also dont own an ATV, so if I need to, I can pack a deer out. It will also be used on antelope hunts and mule deer hunts ( bowhunts mostly)
Thanks for the feedback guys! Keep em coming!

I use a 22mag and frame. Hauls treestand and bow with dayhunt gear. Also 26" frame and cargo panel with pouches works great too. I do prefer the shorter frame for whitetails though, it is just better for bushwhacking in my experience.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Most of my hunting is mobile Whitetail Hunting in the Midwest where I'm carrying my stand in and out. It definitely requires a specialized setup. Most of the places I hunt, you have to go at least a mile from the parking lot through thick brush if want a chance at seeing anything. If you wear enough clothes to sit in a stand, you'll be drenched in sweat by the time you get setup so you have to carry your clothes and anything you need. With that being said, I did buy a Nomad 2 this year For Backcountry Hunting. I've been messing with the idea of using it for Whitetail, but I think it's an overkill. The only way I would need that much stuff would be if I had my son with me or if it was really cold. For the normal day to day stuff I'll stick with my current setup of Alice style straps and hip belt on my Lonewolf Assault with a small pack strapped to the strand. The straps on the Kifaru are too noisy and it just seams like more hassle. Not to mention it getting hung up on brush, and having to hang that big frame up in the tree somewhere with you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jordan Budd

Super Moderator
Staff member
I would suggest a Nomad, then get a camp bag for your western hunts. Or, get a smaller bag like the 22 mag for day hunts there, then get a reckoning, dt2 or something similar for your western hunts. The new nomad is a great setup though and very versatile for both.

NorthT

FNG
I have used 26 bikini with nomad for last 4 seasons, works great for strapping stands, blinds and stuff like that. makes if a little difficulty to put large jackets in sleeves though. last year I bought a late season and added a grabit with extra straps to top. I like it more I think. YOu still have a large bag to put layers in, plenty of pals to add pockets for smaller things like call, bow hanger, extra gloves. Plus you don't have all the extra frame. I did just buy a tactical duplex to replace bikini this year. If I had to do over a duplex with cargo panel would probably be better for whitetail. I have packed out a couple deer with lateseason and wasn't bad at all. I use a 50l dry sack with nomad. Unless your a tall guy, im 510 I would go with a 24 inframe. still plenty of lift without banging you head. Nomad also carries decoys like a champ.

I primarily whitetail hunt. I've owed the Argali, Reckoning, Markhor and now only have the Fulcrum. I plan to use it for whitetail day hunts, strapping on my lone wolf and sticks and then for multi-day hunts here and out west. It an awesome pack.

I'm going to use a mountain rambler, apollo, or cargo panel with a hunter frame this year. I have experimented with all three lashing the stand onto the frame and, packing a days gear. I like the mountain rambler the best for ease of loading and holding the stand. But, the cargo panel with a medium and small belt pouch attached, a hanging meat bag, and a water bladder pocket is pretty dang nice too. These options are better if you intend on carrying a stand because of the way they attach to the frame. The apollo works great for a day bag and, meat packer with its built in load sling, if you aren't packing stands. Good luck and God Bless

Brendan

WKR
I've used the EMR2 and 26" hunter frame with a guide lid for my tree stand bag - worked fine. I'll probably use the 22MAg this year so I can attach a bunch of pockets for smaller stuff....

I prefer a pack like the spike camp or 14r with my lone wolf strapped to the back with a grab it as opposed to a frame and bag combo for what you're talking about.

Mountain warrior for me!
f62a7d416c7cbb2b5ecf1a68b743ba36.jpg

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

I have a reckoning on a 26 inch frame I used for spring turkey. Decoys and all right inside. I use it for camping and will use it for western hunts.

My current "day pack" is a woodsman on a 22 inch frame. I have used it to haul a stand and would use the meat shelf if I killed a whitetail far enough from the truck that I couldn't drag it.

I used a mystery ranch pack called a crew cab that is similar to a Nomad before i got the Kifarus. It is a very flexible design but I find I didn't care for all the strapping and unstrapping. It is a great concept and very flexible but I like the bag and meat shelf design more.

this is a picture of what i was talking about. lone wolf hand climber held in a grab-it on the back of a spike camp.

IMG_20151227_124803456_zps5fjnrjlv_edit_1451241191683_zpshrewml4n.jpg

Hey man just chiming in here I day hunt for whitetails I use a hunter with the woodsman but if you are going to be hauling stand etc. I would get the tactical frame because of the bending. I would say something higher volume if you plan on using it out west one of the bigger packs. For a whitetail daypack also look at the 14'r