Kuiu Load Hauler question

Folks, hope everyone is gearing up for this falls season as I have been. Which leads to my question. I purchased a 2015 maybe 2016 Kuiu Icon Pro 1850 from a member here. I bought a load hauler thinking I would need it to haul meat with. Now that I'm looking at the load hauler and the bag separate from the frame I'm left scratching my head wondering if I even need it. My thought was it would attach to and ride underneath the pack (basically between the frame and pack), then be ready when I need to load something. All I would need to do is expand the straps holding the pack and load hauler, stuff in the meat, then cinch it all up. But now I'm thinking the pack and load hauler don't actually ride the frame at the same time. That I would need to load meat and use only the load hauler or the pack to sandwich the meat. That means this load hauler would ride and take up space in a pouch until needed. I saw on the instructions that if my pack and frame we're prior to 2017 then I would need an adapter kit. Maybe I need that to make it all work together? Can someone help me out with this?? Maybe I don't need this load hauler? Or does it actually act as the load sling between the meat and the pack? help! Leave for Colorado in less than 3 weeks. Thanks y'all!

bcopley1116

Lil-Rokslider
I have an 1850 and 5200. I always use the load sling by loosing up the side frame tension straps and the bottom tension straps (My bags have a metal hook at the bottom that I leave hooked to keep the load from slipping through the bottom). Once I have the load between the frame and pack I tighten everything back as tight as possible. I have learned in my limited experience that the higher and tighter I get the load in the sling the better it carries. I also use the kuiu xxl dry bag when using the load sling, that is how I do it anyway. It might be right or it might be wrong, but it works for me.

Folks, hope everyone is gearing up for this falls season as I have been. Which leads to my question. I purchased a 2015 maybe 2016 Kuiu Icon Pro 1850 from a member here. I bought a load hauler thinking I would need it to haul meat with. Now that I'm looking at the load hauler and the bag separate from the frame I'm left scratching my head wondering if I even need it. My thought was it would attach to and ride underneath the pack (basically between the frame and pack), then be ready when I need to load something. All I would need to do is expand the straps holding the pack and load hauler, stuff in the meat, then cinch it all up. But now I'm thinking the pack and load hauler don't actually ride the frame at the same time. That I would need to load meat and use only the load hauler or the pack to sandwich the meat. That means this load hauler would ride and take up space in a pouch until needed. I saw on the instructions that if my pack and frame we're prior to 2017 then I would need an adapter kit. Maybe I need that to make it all work together? Can someone help me out with this?? Maybe I don't need this load hauler? Or does it actually act as the load sling between the meat and the pack? help! Leave for Colorado in less than 3 weeks. Thanks y'all!
I believe when the load hauler first came out they said it wasnt designed to be used with a pack on the frame, so its one or the other. If I remember correctly there arent a lot of unused attachment points that you could attach the load hauler to with the 1850 on without having some doing double duty.

I honestly dont think you need it though if you have the 1850. The 1850 is designed to seperate from the frame for a meat load. My take on the load hauer was to replace a larger icon pro pack during meat packing trips to cut down on a big, floppy, almost empty pack.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

ColoradoHunterHiker

Lil-Rokslider
Above are correct...

The icon pro series bags (1850, 3200, 5200, 7200) are designed to allow for load hauling between the frame and the bag without any additional accessories. The Load hauler is for when you are just taking the frame (no bag) back for the 2nd load. One or the other.

Good Luck

I've hauled a lot of loads between the 3200 bag and frame. This year I had an idea to try rigging up a load hauler like a grab it/beaver tail over the back of my bag. So far in testing it has worked well. I just run the side compressions to the load hauler instead of the bag and fold the top 1/3 of the load hauler back down inside itself

jmike

FNG
Wow glad I came across this post, I just bought a Pro 7200 also came with with a 3200 bag too. I will have to call Kuiu and ask for t he buckel set up.

Mike

I have a 2200 and bought a load hauler also. There are a lot of attachment points on the front of the bag that allow you to run the load hauler on the front of the bag while hauling meet in the load shelf.

The only problem is that you will need to cut the top set of male buckles to make a quick attachment point similar to Kifaru.

Attachments

• 20190411_084754.jpg
    20190411_084754.jpg
    342.3 KB · Views: 90
  • 20190411_084748.jpg
    20190411_084748.jpg
    323.3 KB · Views: 91

LaHunter

WKR
I don’t see the need or application for the load hauler along with a bag. I use the load hauler for training though, and it works great. It holds the sand bag in place, and it keeps my bags from getting funky from me sweating so much in the summer heat

I’m considering the load hauler on the bag for a few reasonings but the main one is extra support/stuff space when using a smaller bag and packing camp/all meat out in one load.

I setup my load hauler today. I sewed 2 straps with the clips to attach to the attachment loops on the top of the bag. I made them decent length in case I need to run the load hauler pretty far out from my main bag when using the load sling. I plan to attach the side compression straps to the load hauler if needed also.
Not sure it’s really necessary but I’m gonna try it out this season. I mainly set it up for the just in case situation.

Attachments

• 0BCC273F-6D6C-46B8-A4CC-0E1DBB185083.jpeg
    0BCC273F-6D6C-46B8-A4CC-0E1DBB185083.jpeg
    154.1 KB · Views: 57
  • 2E6608DC-F147-4030-B721-CC1B64D7245F.jpeg
    2E6608DC-F147-4030-B721-CC1B64D7245F.jpeg
    317.2 KB · Views: 59
  • AE66D885-EE51-4C43-BD42-58BAFA69DB26.jpeg
    AE66D885-EE51-4C43-BD42-58BAFA69DB26.jpeg
    344.7 KB · Views: 60
  • 3A16E464-DA28-4B34-81E9-F3BBBF149D28.jpeg
    3A16E464-DA28-4B34-81E9-F3BBBF149D28.jpeg
    156.2 KB · Views: 53
Rosin
That was one of my thoughts for it. Also if my hunting buddy and I both kill then I could put meat in the load shelf and main bag and use the load hauler to strap/hold in my camp/clothing on the outside of the bag on the way out.

I also have sewn in 2 straps like the 5200/7200 and run the lid from that bag on my 3200. It’s worked very well so far.

RosinBag

Super Moderator
Staff member
You are stronger than me. Meat in the load shelf, meat in your pack and camp in the outside, that is a serious load.

Definitely not! You are a beast.
I really am not sure it’s even useful but figured I had it and the straps took no time to make.
I plan only to use it with the 1850/3200 bags also.

Nice. I’ve only used mine in place of the bag to haul meat, training sandbags, and my kid. I might mess with putting it on the outside like that as a “stuff it”. I’ve also found out it’s possible to run 2 sets of horizontal straps through the frame. I use them to cinch the load to the frame, keeping it from sliding down like it tends to in the “load sling” mode, but it could also be used to attach the bag and the load panel on the back.

Last edited:

1234AveA

Lil-Rokslider
I've hauled a lot of loads between the 3200 bag and frame. This year I had an idea to try rigging up a load hauler like a grab it/beaver tail over the back of my bag. So far in testing it has worked well. I just run the side compressions to the load hauler instead of the bag and fold the top 1/3 of the load hauler back down inside itself

Do you have a picture of how you set this up?

1234AveA

Lil-Rokslider
I don’t see the need or application for the load hauler along with a bag. I use the load hauler for training though, and it works great. It holds the sand bag in place, and it keeps my bags from getting funky from me sweating so much in the summer heat

Exactly my thoughts.