Compressed Large Pack vs Day Pack

treillw

WKR
My hunting style involves everything from running up the mountain for 4 hours after work to going on week long backpacking trips. I initially thought I would get a quality frame and then get two bags for it - something around 2000 or 3000 and then something around 7000 or 8000.

I also want to be able to carry a lot of volume for summer camping trips with bulky loads - float tubes don't compress down too well and I don't have any small ultralight sleeping bags. That stuff is lower on my very long list of things to buy.

A few posts I read on here had me pretty much convinced to just get a large bag and just compress it for my half day hunts. Then I called Stone Glacier and the gentleman I spoke with said that he thought their 6900 bag would be a little bulky to compress down for half day hunts and that there would be a lot of loose fabric, especially from the side pockets.

I guess it all comes down to preferences. If I worked for SG, I guess I'd own a few different bags too :) What is your opinion on compressing a larger bag or having two bags?

I guess if I buy the large bag first, I can always get a smaller bag if I find it to be a pain. I'd just like to spread the two purchases out a little bit. I'm trying to decide between the Solo 3300 and Talus 6900.

Thanks!

Last edited:

MattB

WKR
Some manu's large bags compress down better than others. I don't feel at a disadvantage with my Kifaru big bags when compressed down.

btg108

FNG
My issue has been with compressing really big bags down to daypack size. Sometimes they get compressed to the point that you can't really use any pockets or compartments.

I'd pay close attention to my pockets/compartments and see how they work when the main bag is cinched down.

If you can work out of a couple of back pockets and compress the sides in then you should be GTG.

OR if you used something like the Kifaru Nomad or Fulcrum that's designed for this...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mischief209

Lil-Rokslider
I bought the sg 7400 because I wanted the flexibility like your talking about. The weight difference between the 3300 and 7400 was nominal. It compress down flat against the frame. Sometimes I just have my water bladder and kill kit. Sometimes I have 7 days worth of stuff. It hasn't been worth my time to switch out bags yet. With the center zip you can access stuff inside no problem. A side zip might require a few extra steps. But in the end you could buy the smaller bag for 200, that was my orignal plan but just haven't found the need. The weight is minor and the bag smashes down great. 1 tip is get the weebing keepers because you will have long tails on the straps.

Mischief209

Lil-Rokslider
Also the 6900 is the bulkyiest bag they have because of the scope pockets on the side. The 5900 and 7400 are 1 streamline bag. They make a scope accessory now that you can hang on any bag if you want that feature and keep a more compressed pack

2ski

WKR
I like my kifaru dt1 compressed down. Pretty streamlined. I can run most things in the guide lid and an outside pocket for the most part. I really don't use the main compartment when day hunting.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

wytx

WKR
A day pack is much easier to maneuver in blowdown and doghair timber. A pack fame or large pack is hard to be quiet with while still hunting or stalking. Have never used my larger pack or frame pack while actually hunting. Are you archery hunting? If so try shooting with the pack on. I wear the smallest day pack possible for hunting, sometimes a lumbar pack works even better, one with shoulder straps.
You can strap the day pack to your larger one for the hike into camp. I want a lightweight pack for mountain hunting and a sturdy one for packing out.

OP
treillw

treillw

WKR
I bought the sg 7400 because I wanted the flexibility like your talking about. The weight difference between the 3300 and 7400 was nominal. It compress down flat against the frame. Sometimes I just have my water bladder and kill kit. Sometimes I have 7 days worth of stuff. It hasn't been worth my time to switch out bags yet. With the center zip you can access stuff inside no problem. A side zip might require a few extra steps. But in the end you could buy the smaller bag for 200, that was my orignal plan but just haven't found the need. The weight is minor and the bag smashes down great. 1 tip is get the weebing keepers because you will have long tails on the straps.

Thank you sir. I'm was thinking of getting a 6900 and 3300. Sounds like the 6900 would be similar to your 7400.

OP
treillw

treillw

WKR
Also the 6900 is the bulkyiest bag they have because of the scope pockets on the side. The 5900 and 7400 are 1 streamline bag. They make a scope accessory now that you can hang on any bag if you want that feature and keep a more compressed pack

I like that the 6900 has the additional pockets. I'm pretty sure I have some form of OCD and throwing stuff into one gaping bag would probably get to me. :D

Randle

WKR
Or exo horn hauler and camp bag. I have tried the compressed bag and just felt like it was too much strapping and tucking. Everyone is different . You will probably have to try both ways. I would say buy t he big bag and try it. If you don't like it you can sell the bag and go with something smaller . But the big bag will work for 1 season

N2TRKYS

WKR
I have an AMR bag. It compresses down nicely for daypack mode. I use the regular lid. To me it's a cleaner look and much more functional than going with the guide lid. I don't think that I could get a better setup.

dplantz

Lil-Rokslider
Get that 6900 on x curve and don't look back. My best outdoors purchase yet. First pic is scouting day trip. Water inside, optics outside. Spotter, pad, phoneskope in pocket on side not showing. Sure looks and felt nicely compressed to me. Second pic is a fishing day trip. Waders vest water inside, wading sandals (barely) fit into a side pocket. And I did a backpacking trip with my wife where I carried the majority of both our stuffs, plus all my fishing stuff, plus my optics, and it all fit with plenty of room left at the top. You'll never convince me I need a second bag.
d95597dd655197686415f1ffbf87593b.jpg
85cade6f8a5b1aba6481eb13f8bd6b0f.jpg

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
IVe found that my fulcrum sort of solves the problems, I have enough external pouches and the 2 wing pockets that I can stuff my jump bsg and a puffy in the main compartment, then tighten it all down and still have plenty of room for anything I may need. then, if I shoot something, I have like 6k+ CU to open up.

2ski

WKR
I have an AMR bag. It compresses down nicely for daypack mode. I use the regular lid. To me it's a cleaner look and much more functional than going with the guide lid. I don't think that I could get a better setup.
Had they made the amr II when I bought my dt2 I would've bought it and may or may not have bought the guide lid. I like that set up.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

tttoadman

WKR
Getting a high end frame system like a SG or Kifaru and then getting a small bag makes no sense to me. I had the SG3300 for years, but when I tried a bigger bag, it was clear for me that is the way to go. We spend all this money to get an all in one system that can hunt and carry and collapse. If a guy wants a small hunt mode, it would be cheaper to buy a frame hauler and a lumbar pack where there are many options. I have always had a kifaru grabit and a lid. Between those 2 items, your large bag disappears. With a couple quick connect ladder locks, you can hook a Kifaru Grabit on the SG frames.

92xj

WKR
Kifaru 26 with a woodsman and roll top pod for below. Pod houses sleep system and camp stuff. Once at camp pop it off, pull out food bags from the Woodman and run the woodsman only for day mode. This is my system for half day hunts, full day hunts and with the pod, up to a week in the back country.

Jimss

WKR
I have a Kifaru EMRII that holds super bulky loads. It compresses fairly tight. I use it regularly for Alaska dall sheep, mtn goat, bighorn, elk, antelope, deer, black bear, etc. I've packed out a number of lifesized capes, meat, and camp with it. I even use it during turkey season to haul a flock of turkey decoys, gear, plus harvested tom. There are several outer straps that can be used for compressing but I often only use a couple straps to make it easier to access pockets. I have an oversized guide lid for things that I need to access quick and easy (raingear, lunch, maps, knife, gps, etc). Kifaru has so many different pack and add on options you can likely figure out something that works for your particular style of hunting. I have a 2nd bag (Timberline) that is smaller and has great outer pockets but I hardly ever take off my EMRII bag. For scouting and day trips I have a Badlands 2200 that I've used and abused for over 20 years. I haven't checked prices but you could always pick up a Badlands or other daypack for relatively cheap price to go with a large Stone Glacier or Kifaru. I bought my Kifaru frame and bag on the classified section of this website at a big discount. I also picked up a Kifaru bag on Craigslist.

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
I just did day hunts out of my SG 6900 this weekend. If you pack smart and utilize their camp bags and swing out pockets being tethered to the bag it's not bad to get into. In the main bag I had a camp pocket for essentials, a swing out for first aid (both tethered) then a puffy, then another camp pocket sitting loose in the bottom as my kill kit. Lower side pockets was my rain gear. Long side pockets was gaiters on one side then rain cover and day snacks on the other side. Trekking poles on the outside. If you stage the zippers you can minimize how many buckles you need to undo for a quick reach inside. Also the pockets being attached in the main bag makes it easier as they don't find themselves hidden under other items.
63c9550acf8bccc8d1578f2fa89c5ad1.jpg
724d80bc139404eba4fb43e464d33973.jpg

Admittedly it looks like a compressed mess but it functioned very well. My trekking poles stuck out the top hitting branches but the bag itself compressed smaller than the frame so it did well trying to be stealthy in dense timber.

I am thinking about a smaller bag for day hunts and non hunting stuff but this certainly is a good one bag option and I would have no problem using just this for packing in and day mode without bringing another day mode only bag.

Last edited: