Compressed Large Pack vs Day Pack

OP
treillw

treillw

WKR

I am thinking about a smaller bag for day hunts and non hunting stuff but this certainly is a good one bag option and I would have no problem using just this for packing in and day mode without bringing another day mode only bag.

Very helpful. Thank you very much.

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
Very helpful. Thank you very much.

If it helps what I am wanting to do with a smaller bag is alpine climbing, hike in fishing, day hikes. Stuff where I don't need all the straps and buckles for securing a heavy load and ounce counting for climbs. I'm working with pods8 on such a thing since I don't quite see what I want from the other SG bags. Also a more visible color for some situations. The frame is very comfortable for me and has great airflow across my back that's why I'll use it when there isn't any chance of meat packing instead of a stand alone day pack. For me a second smaller bag is more of a want to satisfy my OCD.

I have the amr with guide lid
I modified its attachment set up a little
I use this as a day pack and love it

It compresses well
And with the guide lid, and 2 front pockets I never Get into main bag, until I have animal down.

This compresses as nice as my tahr does

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

tttoadman

WKR
...Trekking poles on the outside.
63c9550acf8bccc8d1578f2fa89c5ad1.jpg
724d80bc139404eba4fb43e464d33973.jpg

Admittedly it looks like a compressed mess but it functioned very well. My trekking poles stuck out the top hitting branches but the bag itself compressed smaller than the frame so it did well trying to be stealthy in dense timber.

I disassemble my 55" poles and they fit inside my bags. They even fit inside the SG3300. I carry a sleeping bag sack to stuff them in and roll over the ends. Put the handles in the bottom. The tips are there if you poke for them, but I don't compress the bag that hard at the top for that reason. No worries with snagging when in hunt mode.

aklogan

FNG
I use a Stone Glacier 6900 compressed down and it works just fine. The way I compress you can't use the side pockets but I do not like to put my spotter in them to begin with so I would almost rather not have those pockets. Others like them I just feel my spotter is not protected well enough in there. The center zip on the bag works very well when compressed down. Stone glacier did a good job with the way you compress down the top of the bag to go in bivy mode. The frame may be a touch large when compressed down but it's still 20" shorter then my rifle so it really doesn't matter.

JP100

WKR
I wouldnt bother with two bags.
I did when I got a Kuiu frame and never used the small bag
Now I use a Kifaru Argali at 7000 CUI for everything. Guide lid is a handy attachment
honestly I dont think you will use two bags, having a big day pack is good when you shoot something, just open it up and away ya go.

Kifaru nomad and camp bag. Problem solved.

The nomad or the mr crew cab are options.

Think about a mid size pack with a meat shelf. You could do the camp bag thing on a woodsman and up the capacity to handle most anything.

The nomad or the mr crew cab are options.

Think about a mid size pack with a meat shelf. You could do the camp bag thing on a woodsman and up the capacity to handle most anything.

I used a mid size bag (Kifaru Tahr) this year. It worked great. I was in an area where it was steep and deep and didn't want to make extra trips so I loaded a rear qtr in the shelf, and hand carried the frt qtr out and staged it at the bottom of the slope. I really wished I had my AMR, so I could've stuffed it inside (frt qtr) and utilized my trekking poles.
Ill try to get a pic up later
3ee07d196342892ee24d5f5fe44eb8c0.jpg

Last edited:

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I've had the SG Solo, the Skyarcher, and the Talus. Got rid of all three of them. I generally don't do any 7-10+ day pack-in trips, mostly just 2-3 day jaunts into areas that I don't want to hike in and out of every day for elk hunting. I have found a large dry bag between the frame and my Approach bag works great, then I can just dump the entire bag for camp and the Approach is already set up for hunt mode. You could do the same even with a large SG bag if you wanted.

I really don't like hunting with a large pack and/or frame on, I'm much more mobile and maneuverable with a daypack. But the Approach on the Krux frame is decent enough to put up with at times. It's noisy compared to my daypack, but you gotta do what you gotta do.

mcseal2

WKR
I got a Exo 2000 this summer I've been using scouting. It's a great bag and big enough for optics and a days worth of gear easy. I also ordered the 3500 bag to use on the same frame and it just arrived. It has the optics pockets on the outside that make getting the tripod and spotter out really easy. I think anytime I plan to pack a tripod and spotter I will use the 3500 bag. It collapses down really nice and I love the lay out. The 2000 would be my pick when not packing extra optics.

Buying one I'd go with a bigger bag that compacts well. I really like how the Exo frame flexes and moves with me as a daypack. I haven't used many designated daypacks more comfortable. I also like that I can pack meat between the frame and bag so I don't have to have a large bag to put quarters inside. I have not yet packed a lot of weight very far, so I can't tell you how it compares to the others there. For much of my use though a pack I like as a really comfortable daypack that I can take the first load of meat out with is just fine.

OP
treillw

treillw

WKR
I've had the SG Solo, the Skyarcher, and the Talus. Got rid of all three of them. I generally don't do any 7-10+ day pack-in trips, mostly just 2-3 day jaunts into areas that I don't want to hike in and out of every day for elk hunting. I have found a large dry bag between the frame and my Approach bag works great, then I can just dump the entire bag for camp and the Approach is already set up for hunt mode. You could do the same even with a large SG bag if you wanted.

I really don't like hunting with a large pack and/or frame on, I'm much more mobile and maneuverable with a daypack. But the Approach on the Krux frame is decent enough to put up with at times. It's noisy compared to my daypack, but you gotta do what you gotta do.

Good point - the frame is surely more cumbersome. On the opposite side of the coin, it is really nice to cut an extra trip out of the mix when you do get something.

Having a meat hauling frame on my back gives me more confidence in going in deeper. It's also nice if its warm outside to reduce the chances of your meat spoiling.

Last edited:

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
Good point - the frame is surely more cumbersome. On the opposite side of the coin, it is really nice to cut an extra trip out of the mix when you do get something.

Having a meat hauling frame on my back gives me more confidence in going in deeper. It's also nice if its warm outside to reduce the chances of your meat spoiling.

That was my thinking. For my narrow frame the SG felt less cumbersome than the kifaru frame. I may have given up some comfort with the SG but I'm not hauling out multiple big game from deep in nasty terrain every year either. Like you said it does give confidence to go further.

It looks like I'm going against the grain. I prefer to match my bag to the task at hand. A bigger bag will certainly work for a 2-3 day trip, but for me it is a bit more efficient to go with the smaller more streamlined bag.

Kotaman

WKR
Get that 6900 on x curve and don't look back. My best outdoors purchase yet. First pic is scouting day trip. Water inside, optics outside. Spotter, pad, phoneskope in pocket on side not showing. Sure looks and felt nicely compressed to me. Second pic is a fishing day trip. Waders vest water inside, wading sandals (barely) fit into a side pocket. And I did a backpacking trip with my wife where I carried the majority of both our stuffs, plus all my fishing stuff, plus my optics, and it all fit with plenty of room left at the top. You'll never convince me I need a second bag.
d95597dd655197686415f1ffbf87593b.jpg
85cade6f8a5b1aba6481eb13f8bd6b0f.jpg

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Pretty sound advice right here...These SG packs go into daypack mode so nicely, you don't even know you're carrying a 6900 ci pack.

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
I disassemble my 55" poles and they fit inside my bags. They even fit inside the SG3300. I carry a sleeping bag sack to stuff them in and roll over the ends. Put the handles in the bottom. The tips are there if you poke for them, but I don't compress the bag that hard at the top for that reason. No worries with snagging when in hunt mode.

Thanks for the tip! Got mine in my 6900, much cleaner now.

For the OP I emptied the side pockets, folded them over and compressed, now it's as clean as the 3300.