What pack do I want for what I'm trying to do?

I am planning a DIY mule deer hunt in SD next year. The idea is this is a primer trip for figuring out the DIY aspect of western hunting. Our plan is to keep making trips west, with and eventual WY elk hunt once we have the points.

For now, I think (please tell me if I'm off base) I need a pack capable of holding items Id need for spot and stalk and then hopefully capable of packing out meat. I don't know that I won't be able to drag the deer to the road, but I want to pack it out regardless for the experience of being able to do it at a later time when conditions aren't the same.

We plan on camping, but in a location that we can drive to so I don't need to be carrying my camp on my back for now.

I'm 5'11" and 215 if that matters. Thanks for any help.

sodak

FNG
In that area you are never more than a few miles from a road. I use a smaller pack like the ones mentioned.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Coyote813

Lil-Rokslider
Kifaru, Stone glacier, or exo frame - you pick the bag. All 3 companies have excellent options.

OP
A
So I guess a better question would be what size and features should I be looking for? I've never had to pack out an animal so pack requirements and necessary features for this are new to me. I dont want to buy too small, but at the same time don't want to be carrying more bag than I need to.

Exo Mountain Gear 3500. They are really well made, incredibly comfortable, and very adaptable. All the right features are there and everything just makes sense.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
the frame is key for hauling meat- with Stone Glacier simply carry one of their load cells- it's a largish dry bag that would handle a boned mule deer w/o any problem; you can carry the load cell behind the actual pack bag or in it till needed

for the pack bag itself whatever size will fit your needed gear- last year I carried a SG Avail (2200 cu in/35 liters) to carry needed gear while day hunting and kept the frame and dry cell in the vehicle; this year I'm going to wear the frame and go w/ a slightly smaller bag- the Serac (1700 cu in/30 liters)- this will save me a trip as I can simply loosen the straps on the frame and put boned meat in the dry cell (if I'm so lucky! :D) behind the pack bag

I would think for most day hunts 30 liters +/- should be pretty close- I carry enough gear in mine that an unexpected night won't kill me off

Greenback

FNG
I am planning a DIY mule deer hunt in SD next year. The idea is this is a primer trip for figuring out the DIY aspect of western hunting. Our plan is to keep making trips west, with and eventual WY elk hunt once we have the points.

For now, I think (please tell me if I'm off base) I need a pack capable of holding items Id need for spot and stalk and then hopefully capable of packing out meat. I don't know that I won't be able to drag the deer to the road, but I want to pack it out regardless for the experience of being able to do it at a later time when conditions aren't the same.

We plan on camping, but in a location that we can drive to so I don't need to be carrying my camp on my back for now.

I'm 5'11" and 215 if that matters. Thanks for any help.

Seek Outside Divide/Unaweep or Stone Glacier Solo would be my choice

tttoadman

WKR
You need nothing until about January of next year when the market is flooded with new releases and used packs. Somebody will make you a great deal if you wait until then.

1signguy

WKR
Figure out what you are taking on your day trips and then look at bags- early or late season, glass, tripod, water, filter, clothing layers... everyone travels different and weather and water availability factor in...

fatrascal

WKR
If you are going to use it on a pack in elk hunt in the future then I personally would want more volume than a 3500. I would not go with less than a 5000 cubic inches. You could buy a 3500 now for deer hunting and then a bigger bag when your ready for the elk hunt. Or just get the bigger bag and learn to compress what you don't use. Fatrascal

The world of high end packs is confusing and a little overwhelming for a first timer. Making a decision boils down to your personality/preferences, use case and can be influenced by your body type. I'll do a quick overview of the 3 companies mentioned so far just to give you an idea because they are probably the most popular of the super high-end packs with impeccable customer service:

Exo: Make a quality pack and frame. The packs are well designed and much more like backpacking packs that you're used to. Built in pockets and features with little customization. Pretty much ready to use out of the box. There are 2 main problems with Exo's frame design. 1) Only available in one height; tall guys and super short guys will have issues with the standard 25" height (I have a 23" torso). 2) This is not a hauling pack; it seems to have been designed primarily for use under 80-100lbs. It won't break if you go over, but it won't be as comfortable as others either. Now; I have received hate from Exo fan's in the past for saying that but I stand by the statement just know that some disagree with me.

Stone Glacier: Ultra light weight is the goal here. Top quality pack made by a guy who is an avid sheep hunter and wanted the lightest gear possible. He hasn't really sacrificed much in terms of load bearing capability to do it which is pretty impressive. The bags are minimalist; very few pockets and everything is only available in gray. No customizability here. If you're the type to cut your toothbrush in half or leave the toilet paper at home because it's too heavy; then there really is no other option for you. However, keep in mind that pack weight doesn't "feel" the same as gear weight (I can go over the physics with you if you want) so don't get too caught up in what a pack weighs.

Kifaru: In one word: Workhorse. Kifaru's frame is without a doubt the most comfortable frame for carrying weight over 100lbs. I recently did a 7.5mi one-way backpack trip with 100lbs and I had virtually no soreness whatsoever from the pack. Kifaru is almost the exact opposite of Stone Glacier; you aren't going to see them leaving much off to save weight and the number of options are overwhelming. Their frames are assembled to order and adjusted as a best guess based on the sizing information you provide at checkout. Their frames are available in 22, 24, 26" heights and small, medium or large belts (also usually available are 28" frames and smedium, marge and extra-large belts only if you need them by phone only), curved or straight stays available in composite or metal (or ultra-light carbon arrows). All those options are just the frame. Between current and past packs (cross-compatability with everything they have ever made) there is something for everyone. On top of that they use a military PALS/MOLLE accessory system so you can add pockets and stuff to better suit your needs. To be honest; when I was first looking at packs all of this was a bit of a turn-off for me as all that PALS webbing and Cordura material is is not really modern looking and a bit ugly. After making a few mistakes and losing some money on other packs I am now completely sold on them and the ability to customize my setup trip-by-trip and a material that can stand up to a lot of abuse. Now, I just threw out a bunch of terms without really explaining it, the good thing is that Cory, Frank or Aron can help you negotiate all the options and get a setup that's right for you.

Stein

FNG
I just picked up an Exo 2000, great pack and would do what you want to do. I also ordered a Kuiu 1850 but sent it back. Personally, I hate huge packs compressed down for day hunt trips and the Exo is about as good of a compromise as I saw in my budget.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
A
Thanks again for all the suggestions, found the forum today and it seems great. The options are a bit overwhelming for sure. I don't mind buying used so that option is there like tttoadman mentioned. The cost on the packs is crazy for sure.

The cost on the packs is crazy for sure.

The good and bad news is that most of these packs retain their value very well and used prices are generally 80% or more of the retail price. One way you could spread out the cost to spread out the pain a bit is to get a Kifaru frame with a cargo panel and a few pockets for now and get a pack when you start looking at a backpack hunt. A cargo panel with some pockets and a dry bag for jackets and such is more than enough for training purposes and day hunts.

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
Best thing I did was focus on just the frame before considering the bag. I'd rather make a mistake on the bag purchase than the frame.