Game Bag Suggestions

treillw

WKR
I'm ready to pull the trigger on purchasing a Stone Glacier 6900. What is the best game bag setup for hauling meat with the pack? The obvious answer is their load cell dry bag. From what I've heard, the load cell will hold about 70 pounds of boned meat. Occasionally I plan on hauling more than this. What's the best way to get some more volume?

Thanks!

EDIT:
So I've narrowed it down to either TAG bags, or Backcountry Borne Bags.

The bags will be used for boned meat. Which bags hold their shape better?

Which bags clean up easier?

Last edited:

UtahJimmy

WKR
Any game bag will work, you don't need a SG specific load cell for the SG pack. But do whatever you want!

Camofire has their deer ($40) and elk ($50) gamebags in stock right now.

OR buy the Rokslide kit

OR TAG BOMB bags (also available here at Rokslide)

OR hit up Kurt (Felix40) for some bags (I had him make me some bone-in bags for elk but haven't put them to work yet :))

OR hit up Adam (Pods8) at Rugged Stitching if you have something more custom you want.

Good luck!

EDIT: here is Kurt's site... Ultralight Deboned Game Bags Backcountry by BackcountryBorne

and a good thread to read through: http://www.rokslide.com/forums/gear/66471-game-bags.html

The SG Load cell is shaped to fit and lay in the load shelf extremely well. I'd highly recommend using that for your main hauling setup and just get another one if you're going to try to double-stack it. I think if you try one of the TAG or other type of game bags, you might end up with a large ball of meat that settles down low because of uneven strap pressure across the load. Just a thought.

KMT

WKR
Any game bag. Tag and caribou worked for me. I use a contractor bag inside the pack.

wseidel

WKR
Caribou Gear bags have worked well for my partner and me. On two occasions they have been used twice in one day (two separate bulls) and performed admirably...with a simple wash and rinse between hunts. They have now been used to process seven bulls and are still doing great - all set for this coming year. Part of the reason they may be in such good condition is because we place them in winter sleds to transport our meat out - so they aren't spending any time on the ground or being tossed about. Hope this helps...

texag10

WKR
I used the backcountry borne bags for my elk and was happy. They don't stretch, the cordage is reflective and makes it easy to hang in trees, and the stuff sack they come in has enough extra room for 2 large contractor bags, some latex gloves and a pen.

I make my own. Pretty much like the one's at the link above. Breathable, light weigth synthetic for bone out meat hauling.

FWIW, I make mine 15 inches by 29 inches finished. Mine will hold about 50-55 pounds of boned out meat. Double stitched and such. I have tried square bottomed sacks but, do not like that as the bag loses shape when they are filed. So, I just use a flat seam at the bottom which hurts capacity but, ensures the bag will basically maintain it's shape when filled. Anyways, while I have no earthly reason to promote the bags Kurt is selling, take it from a guy that makes them that he is offering the BEST bargin on any game bag made. I don't know how he is doing it for that price. God Bless men

colersu22

WKR
I only have experience with the TAG bags, after I got home just took the meat out and hung in the cooler and threw the bags in the washer and hung dry. They look brand new still and are ready to go for the next pack out.

OP
treillw

treillw

WKR
I only have experience with the TAG bags, after I got home just took the meat out and hung in the cooler and threw the bags in the washer and hung dry. They look brand new still and are ready to go for the next pack out.

Thanks! Do the TAG bags hold their shape or stretch as the meat ball deforms?

Julius K

FNG
Tag bags don't stretch, at least the moose sized bags don't. I used them this fall and they were great. They don't let fly eggs in and they keep meat clean. I also lifted up 75+\- lbs of boned out meat in two bags. No signs of stretching or ripping.