Kifaru 24" tactical frame info

fbhandler

WKR

I've got an order in for a 26" tactical frame but I'm starting to wonder if a 24" wouldn't be better for my application. Overall pack height is a concern especially in day pack mode.

I'm 5'11" with a 19-20 torso... everything I've read says go 26 but the frame I'm running now (gen 4 molle) is a 23" and with my standard load I'm still getting decent lift.

So to get to the point... dose anyone have a 24" they would be willing to measure ?? I've got about 24" but my frame is actually 23" cuz the belt sticks down below the frame. I know the way frames and belts integrate vary, so I'm looking for over all height, maybe with the frame standing upright on the floor and the height to the top of the frame ??

Also, I've have a 33" (actual) waist running right where the middle of the Kifaru belt is... would it be be better to go small or med. on the belt ??

Any help much appreciated folks

Last edited:

oldgoat

WKR
Kifaru is known worldwide for their customer service and expertise, call them and ask your questions. I'm your height with a little more ample waist and very rarely do I feel the pack is too tall but everybody is different and they will know what's optimal for your height. They have a formula that goes off your total height and inseam length.

OP
fbhandler

fbhandler

WKR

Kifaru is known worldwide for their customer service and expertise, call them and ask your questions. I'm your height with a little more ample waist and very rarely do I feel the pack is too tall but everybody is different and they will know what's optimal for your height. They have a formula that goes off your total height and inseam length.

Thanks ... I did give em a call and we talked for awhile before I put my order in. The rep recommended the 26" with the med belt but said I could really go either way as I was right on the boarder. He himself was a similar build and actually ran the 24" because that was fine most of the time. I feel this would be my case as well, now that I've stewed on it.

Would you be willing to give me a measurement from the floor to the top of the frame on yours ?? This will help me get an idea of how it compares to what I currently run.

It looks as if I got nearly a month to wait on my order and I'd hate to put all that time in just to regret what I chose...

Thanks

oldgoat

WKR
I'm over 50, so if you don't see an answer by morning, shoot me a PM because I'll probably forget before I get home

Dobermann

WKR
Thanks ... I did give em a call and we talked for awhile before I put my order in. The rep recommended the 26" with the med belt but said I could really go either way as I was right on the boarder.

That's interesting they recommended the medium ... I'm also 33", and they recommended small!

At least you get an extra loop of webbing on the medium belt - can make things fit just a bit better.

i measure almost exactly the same as you and have used both 24" and 26" frames. to me it just depends on how much weight you're planning on packing. i train with a 40# sack of gravel on my 24" frame during the summer and i wouldn't want to carry any more weight than that for an extended period of time. i traded my 26" for the 24" and now am ready to go back. lesson learned. the 24" will be fine until it isn't, the 26" will work all of the time. i'm a 34" waist and have used both small and medium belts. small is fine in the summer when i've got light layers on but i prefer the medium when season rolls around and i've got more clothing on. i've yet to bottom out the medium belt with light layers either.

I have a 24 and a 26. Because I wear the belt a little lower than I should I prefer the 26. I have a small gut, not a lot, and some love handles. It makes the belt ride just above my pants belt. If I were to wear it where they recommend, it would be over my belly button, which is uncomfortable. I'm 5'-10" and 195 pounds with a 32" inseam.

Hope this helps.

Just my 2 cents and worth the price charged.

Last edited:
OP
fbhandler

fbhandler

WKR

Thanks a lot for the input guys !!

As an update I went ahead and canceled my original order (26" med. belt) and put a new order in for both 24" and 26", one with a sm. belt and one with a med. belt. I'll send back what I don't need...

With everything I could dig up on the internet and after anther call into Kifaru, I believe this really is the only way to get it sorted, as everyone likes/wears there gear a bit different. It's supposed to ship next week so I'm anxiously awaiting for its arrival.

I'm the meantime I ordered and received a new exo K2 to compare with the tactical frames. It's going to be interesting getting these 3 frames side by side.

Just for info sake, I got the K2 and with a sm. belt and that belt is the perfect size for me...

Last edited:
OP
fbhandler

fbhandler

WKR

Just an update for those who are interested...

I received the k2 last week and am extremely impressed !! It’s very light weight as many of you already know. I would say it almost feels delicate while at the same time it feels very sturdy, not sure how the guys at Exo pulled that off but they sure did !! The frame is simple and sleek, ridged but flexible (torsionally). The belt is well made and comfortable and locks in very well around my hips, no perceived issues there.

My Kifaru frames should be in on Thursday and I’ll be doing a side by side comparison to see which fits me better. I’m betting this will be the only real deciding factor. One thing I have noted, and I’m expecting the same issue with the kifaru, is the fact that I’m bumping my head on the frame. That’s not something I’m used to and concerns me a bit. I’m “always” hunched over in the thick veg of U.P. Michigan ducking low hanging pine and cedar branches.

It will be interesting on how these two frames compare, all I know is the longer I have it the more I want it...

Last edited: