Mystery Ranch vs. Exo

maverick351

Lil-Rokslider
Curious on opinions. I have a Pintler but am curios about its equivalent in Exo and curious what makes one better than the other?

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
Have not used a mystery ranch but the exo is sweet. The frame is very light, it moves with you, easily adjusted, carries weight nicely and just added the 3500 bag. Simplistic design, ease of access, easily detached if wanted, waterproof bag and collapses when carrying a light load. Where was this pack in my 20s, 30s and 40s, I guess old dogs get to use nice light gear👊

Poltax

Lil-Rokslider
I do not have an Exo. However, I do have an MR Metcalf, one made in Bozeman.. Love this pack. The more weight you add the more comfortable it rides. Dont get me wrong, but you still feel the weight, just more comfortable. My Metcalf forms to my back and moves with me. The only drawback is the MR is a bit on the heavier side. But you will never have to worry about breaking the pack.

If your interested in selling your Pintler I would like to be first in line.....

frankrb3

WKR
I have been using a mystery ranch crew cab (older version that was made here in bozeman) since 2012. It's built tough and I used to think it was extremely comfortable. Mine doesn't have the load lifters and mystery ranch doesn't support the NICE frame anymore. They won't sell you load lifters, load sling or separate bags. They also started making their hunting packs overseas but kept their prices high for the consumer. My dad bought an exo pack and I think it's great. Mystery ranch lost me as a customer when it comes to hunting packs. I may still purchase their accessories but I doubt it with great american made products coming from companies like kifaru, exo, and stone glacier.

sfc2140

FNG
I don't think you can go wrong with either. I decided on the exo 3500 for my self and it is pretty awesome. Very comfortable and seems to be very durable. I just wish the frot zipper was not just down the side, I wish it in zipped fully so I could access the inside.

Everyone is different in how they interpret pack qualities. What works for me isn't going to work for many, and plenty of us get fixated on smaller details that don't matter to others.

In the summer of 2015 I bought a MR Metcalf with the NICE frame and load lifters. I bought the brand-new EXO 3500. I already owned a Barney's Freighter Frame. I tested a Kifaru Nomad also. When the dust had settled the only pack remaining was the Metcalf, and that's because it fit me better and carried heavy loads with better comfort...for me...than any of the other packs mentioned. It wasn't even a close contest in my case. The extra weight was 'invisible' considering the fit and comfort. So right up front I'll admit I'm no automatic fan of ultralight packs and super flexible frames. In fact, I hardly consider pack weight at all. A difference of a pound or two isn't going to sway me toward a pack which doesn't fit me well and carry as nicely for me.

I picked up a Pintler last summer when one of the first few arrived. I used the heck out of it in Alaska after killing a moose and came away even more impressed than with the Metcalf. I don't believe in blind allegiance to anyone's products or gear, but I do have great confidence in MR packs. I like that they're not necessarily trendy or gadgety. I like my packs simple, stout, comfortable and dependable.

wmp1991

FNG
just bought my exo 5500 and couldnt be happier. so light and very very durable frame. 50 pounds in the pack feels like nothing especially when you get it snug against your back. couldnt do squats with the last pack and 50 pounds in it but i could easily do squats and run with this one.

mcseal2

WKR
Never tried Mystery Ranch, but I have a new Exo with a 2000 and 3500 bag. If I was to only have one bag it would be the 3500. I'm very happy with the pack after using it on scouting day trips with 20lbs and conditioning hikes of 25 to 3 miles with 80+lbs. It only showed up a month or so ago, so I don't have a ton of experience with it yet. It moves with me better than any frame pack I've tried, more comfortable than many day packs.

13bonatter69

Lil-Rokslider
I called Mystery Ranch last week to ask them about their scapegoat, and they answer right away and they were very helpful. I actually wish after dealing with them that I had bought my big pack from them as well. I PERSONALLY could NOT care less where they make my pack. Im much more interested in how Im taken care of when I call them or have an issue. I know after dealing with Mystery Ranch, they ABSOLUTELY care about their customers.

frankrb3

WKR
I PERSONALLY could NOT care less where they make my pack.
I understand, and I hope your experience with mystery ranch continues to be a positive one. The people in the phillipines probably still make good packs for them. I PERSONALLY DO care whether or not my stuff is made in the USA and I buy American made products as often as I can. I guess I can thank the Marine Corps for making me overly patriotic. Definitely has costed me a lot more money.

Stein

FNG
Both are good companies, I would buy both and send one back. Between the fit and configuration, there is no substitute for putting them both on and packing your gear in then.

It will cost you $40 in shipping which is a bargain for having the right one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

13bonatter69

Lil-Rokslider
I understand, and I hope your experience with mystery ranch continues to be a positive one. The people in the phillipines probably still make good packs for them. I PERSONALLY DO care whether or not my stuff is made in the USA and I buy American made products as often as I can. I guess I can thank the Marine Corps for making me overly patriotic. Definitely has costed me a lot more money.

I understand where you are coming from as I served the better part of my adult life in the Air force and appreciate your position. I guess I just have had better service from Mystery Ranch than I have from another pack builder that is built in AMERICA, so I have a little bit of a sore rear end, but Ill get over it......lol

calico pig

Lil-Rokslider
Curious on opinions. I have a Pintler but am curios about its equivalent in Exo and curious what makes one better than the other?

It's like hiking boots. The best pair is usually not the ones you really want to fit. I had an Exo here last week. It's real nice. The 3500 bag oozes quality to me and I like the layout. I really liked the frame, harness, and fit. I'm not a lumbar pad guy though due to some low back issues and compressing a lumbar pad to the lower back to prevent slip doesn't work for me. If it did, I'd be running the Exo. If it doesn't fit YOU though it doesn't mean much what anyone else thinks about it. No question it's a quality pack IF it fits you. Best to keep the Pintler and if you want to check the Exo out run them side-by-side. If you still like the Pintler better, return the Exo.

calico pig

Lil-Rokslider
Both are good companies, I would buy both and send one back. Between the fit and configuration, there is no substitute for putting them both on and packing your gear in then.

It will cost you $40 in shipping which is a bargain for having the right one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is what I would do.

frankrb3

WKR
I understand where you are coming from as I served the better part of my adult life in the Air force and appreciate your position. I guess I just have had better service from Mystery Ranch than I have from another pack builder that is built in AMERICA, so I have a little bit of a sore rear end, but Ill get over it......lol

And I understand where you're coming from. Mystery ranch has repaired my pack once and replaced several buckles after a hunting season at no charge. I live in Bozeman which is nice because I could just drive to their location whenever I want. They stand behind their products. The part that rubbed me wrong was the lack of support for the guys (me) who invested in their NICE frame. I just wanted to buy another mystery ranch pack (metcalf) and they wouldn't sell it to me without also buying their new guide light frame.

As far as American made, I think all I'm trying to say is if two companies made an equally good product, and had equally good customer service, but one was made here and the other was made overseas, then I would buy the American made one. Even if it cost a little bit more.

OP, just wanted to put Stone Glacier on your radar in case you haven't looked at them yet. They are also a Bozeman company and I just walked in to their shop yesterday and bought their new x-curve frame and had them put the tan R3 bag on it. They allowed me to come in the back and watch them assemble my bag right in front of me. THen they gave me 20% off for being a veteran. Damn good start if you ask me, and they sell all their bags without the frame for when I'm ready to go bigger or smaller.

Good Luck

mtnhmr

FNG
And I understand where you're coming from. Mystery ranch has repaired my pack once and replaced several buckles after a hunting season at no charge. I live in Bozeman which is nice because I could just drive to their location whenever I want. They stand behind their products. The part that rubbed me wrong was the lack of support for the guys (me) who invested in their NICE frame. I just wanted to buy another mystery ranch pack (metcalf) and they wouldn't sell it to me without also buying their new guide light frame.

As far as American made, I think all I'm trying to say is if two companies made an equally good product, and had equally good customer service, but one was made here and the other was made overseas, then I would buy the American made one. Even if it cost a little bit more.

OP, just wanted to put Stone Glacier on your radar in case you haven't looked at them yet. They are also a Bozeman company and I just walked in to their shop yesterday and bought their new x-curve frame and had them put the tan R3 bag on it. They allowed me to come in the back and watch them assemble my bag right in front of me. THen they gave me 20% off for being a veteran. Damn good start if you ask me, and they sell all their bags without the frame for when I'm ready to go bigger or smaller.

Good Luck

frankrb3... can you provide a review of the setup? Interested in the Xframe and R3!

WKR
Have the 2017 MR marshall, just sold the Exo 3500 (2015 version).

Exo is lighter and more flexible, bordering on flimsy at times. Much nicer as a day pack, not nearly as nice carrying a load.

MR is stiffer and heavier, bordering on clunky but a much better load hauler.

Fit and finish of MR was clearly better IMO, especially the accessories.

Exo is a passenger 1/2 ton pickup, soft and comfy.
MR is a 3/4 ton diesel, stiff and strong.

Have the 2017 MR marshall, just sold the Exo 3500 (2015 version).

Exo is lighter and more flexible, bordering on flimsy at times. Much nicer as a day pack, not nearly as nice carrying a load.

MR is stiffer and heavier, bordering on clunky but a much better load hauler.

Fit and finish of MR was clearly better IMO, especially the accessories.

Exo is a passenger 1/2 ton pickup, soft and comfy.
MR is a 3/4 ton diesel, stiff and strong.

The exo k2 frame is quite a bit stouter but maintains that comfortable ride.

13bonatter69

Lil-Rokslider

Good Luck

And just that quickly I now have a 6200 sky archer headed my way......lol
Thanks for the heads up on the 20%. Those guys are top notch, AND, they answer their phone.