Wanting to trade packs

BrentLaBere

Lil-Rokslider
Eventually I will be posting a thread in the classifieds but wanted to discuss it here first and get opinions. I bought a kifaru spike camp. Used it for a trip fly fishing this summer and again on a scouting trip before the hunting season started. I was able to use it this weekend and even pack part of an elk out with it. Overall, I really like the pack but its simply not the right size for me. I knew that going into it and thought I could make it work. Would even be the perfect size for my wife when we take backpacking camping trips. I have two medium pockets - two small belt pouches - gen2 grab it. What would you guys say is a good trade value for the pack? Is it something to keep with all of the pockets? Ideally I would like to keep the pockets for a different kifaru pack, but im open for suggestions. I have a Wilderness outdoors Specialties yukon frame/pack that I still use. So im set on the larger pack/frame. (wasnt able to sell the pack). Would something a long the lines of an older T3 internal be comparable?
Im 6 2 with a normal profile back. 32-33 waist for the belt. 20170903_213400_1504611316998 - Copy.jpg
Overall it wasnt horrible packing out part of the elk(I would guess 60 lbs with everything). Fit my day gear and the grab it latched the meat nicely. I just know with a better fit, in the long run, I would be happier. Worst case scenario I get to use the pack for hunting and my wife will have a much upgraded pack for the summer.

E in CO

Lil-Rokslider
Here is what I did when I had similar thoughts. Get a small or extra small belt for the SC and let your wife run it for backpacking trips. Switch the belt back and forth depending on who is using the pack and for the purpose at hand. The belt takes 2 minutes to change and the shoulder straps adjust quickly. This gives you a lot of flexibility and utility for the SC. Then, get a duplex frame and bag or cargo panel for heavier loads or longer trips. Let's you have the a great all around long day pack that converts to a pack for your wife and also a set up for dedicated hunting trips when you expect to pack game out. I know you didn't say you wanted to spend more $$$ on a pack but this approach would give you years of use.

OP
BrentLaBere

BrentLaBere

Lil-Rokslider
I may have to give this a try. A few more hunting trips this year and Ill try to sell my yukon specialties frame and pack. Id really like to make the full switch to a kifaru pack but I cant justify it right now while I have a decent frame to haul the heavier loads. Thanks for the advice.