seek outside broadwing

Ordered this new pack of theirs today. It looks like it will be a great pack for me and I'm looking forward to putting their revolution frame to the test with some weight this fall. I'm hoping they will be able to get it to me before I head out west in two weeks and 3 days. They couldn't promise me any quicker than 4 weeks but I've heard they often are able to beat their estimates so, fingers crossed! Looking forward to giving a review on the pack after I put it through the paces.

Revolution frame is SOOOOO comfortable. You should really like it. The only flaw is their so called LOAD SLING. It is at the bottom of the frame. EXACTLY where it should not be. So as Strictly a hauler it doesn't work. As a pack frame it is awesome!!

AXEL

WKR
Typical SO, if something is less than perfect with an item of their gear initially, they do not mess about, they FIX IT, PDQ and nobody does it better.

RockChucker30

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
The movable load shelf is a result of our switch to gatekeepers. Before that hardware switch there was no good option to move the shelf.

What we did was basically put two runs of daisy chain partially up the back side of the Revolution frame panel, allowing you to raise and lower the load shelf a bit.

Moving the shelf does two things - allows you to get the bottom of the load up a bit, giving better load distribution with a meat load, and it makes the shelf user replaceable.

A core "normal" function of the shelf is protecting the bottom of the packbag from abrasion, so after years and years of rock abrasion if one gets a bit worn it's an easy replacement if need be.

So it's a change that opened up due to hardware, and it makes sense from a functionality standpoint.

texag10

WKR
Is this new load shelf design something that could be retrofitted to an older revolution frame?

The movable load shelf is a result of our switch to gatekeepers. Before that hardware switch there was no good option to move the shelf.

What we did was basically put two runs of daisy chain partially up the back side of the Revolution frame panel, allowing you to raise and lower the load shelf a bit.

Moving the shelf does two things - allows you to get the bottom of the load up a bit, giving better load distribution with a meat load, and it makes the shelf user replaceable.

A core "normal" function of the shelf is protecting the bottom of the packbag from abrasion, so after years and years of rock abrasion if one gets a bit worn it's an easy replacement if need be.

So it's a change that opened up due to hardware, and it makes sense from a functionality standpoint.

So is the outer frame sleeve something that can be purchased to replace my current 2017 frame?

Kevin_t

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Yes just a new frame panel. It is backwards compatible and has a couple other small improvements as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

texag10

WKR
Nice!

I've got some more pressing gear upgrade priorities (like buying a SO Silvertip) but it's nice to know I can get the updated frame panel and maybe a new shoulder harness later on.

OP
darcytribe
Wow, I'm stoked! I placed my order on Sept. 8 for a new pack that SO did not have in stock. Got an email today that it shipped and will be at my door on the 19th. I had let them know I was on a time crunch and they went out of their way to help me out. Not only does this company make great gear but they have the customer service to match! Thank you Seek Outside!!! You'll be getting more of my business in the future.

I would like to hear what people think about this pack

Got mine last night, I'm still trying to get a feel for it. My initial thoughts in comparing it to my EXO K2 5500:
- Comfortable and I expect it to carry a load well. I put a 45 lb weight in both it and my Exo k2 and the SO was more solid under the load and more comfortable.
- Seems to be well built.
- I prefer the bag layout of the EXO, I think I'll miss the lid
- I prefer compression of the EXO bag - The Broadwing did not come with the side compression straps shown on the website images. Should be easy enough to add them
- I'm not sure on the Gatekeeper hardware for compression yet, I think I'd prefer buckles.
- I typically wear 33" waist pants and got the Medium belt, I probably should have gotten a Large. The belt ends right at my hip pointers.
- Not sure about the dual buckle belt. I prefer the quick and easy single forward pulls on EXO and Kifaru belts for now.
- I get some light squeeks from my K2 frame occasionally, Nothing from the SO pack.
- The talon might be odd with a compressed empty pack, haven't really figured that out.

I know that doesn't seem overly positive but the comfort under loads is probably enough for it to replace my Exo and I can figure out the rest. The Exo is no slouch in comfort, I sold a kifaru hunter duplex and kept the Exo because of how comfortable it is.

Last edited:

Kevin_t

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Got mine last night, I'm still trying to get a feel for it. My initial thoughts in comparing it to my EXO K2 5500:
- Comfortable and I expect it to carry a load well. I put a 45 lb weight in both it and my Exo k2 and the SO was more solid under the load and more comfortable.
- Seems to be well built.
- I prefer the bag layout of the EXO, I think I'll miss the lid
- I prefer compression of the EXO bag - The Broadwing did not come with the side compression straps shown on the website images. Should be easy enough to add them
- I'm not sure on the Gatekeeper hardware for compression yet, I think I'd prefer buckles.
- I typically wear 33" waist pants and got the Medium belt, I probably should have gotten a Large. The belt ends right at my hip pointers.
- Not sure about the dual buckle belt. I prefer the quick and easy single forward pulls on EXO and Kifaru belts for now.
- I get some light squeeks from my K2 frame occasionally, Nothing from the SO pack.
- The talon might be odd with a compressed empty pack, haven't really figured that out.

I know that doesn't seem overly positive but the comfort under loads is probably enough for it to replace my Exo and I can figure out the rest. The Exo is no slouch in comfort, I sold a kifaru hunter duplex and kept the Exo because of how comfortable it is.

The compression can moved to side or wearers away face with gatekeepers. It depends on what you want.
The lid is coming back shortly .. maybe next week
Gatekeepers can be moved anywhere .. buckles leave orphans just FYI ..so for an example on a 3 compression strap pack you could end up with a lot of terminations with buckles. With gatekeepers you can run 3 on the rear face or 2 per side or a combination. I find 3 on the rear face usually enough with one spare
The dual buckle should come with a "quad" single option to change out, if not let us know. FYI forward pull I dont think is needed on a belt that fits well .. but is really really easy to do. You can even use a little biner on the pals and use it as the forward pull if desired.
Belt swap .. go large just get it right. Send a return / swap n belt
You can use a talon with the broadwing / brooks style but I don't prefer it. A talon can actually be used without changing the compression a lot as well if desired.

Thanks .. let us know what you need.

Rokwiia

WKR
That's great news about the lids coming back. I'll be ordering a Unaweep (or Fortress) soon and will enjoy the convenience it provides.

I spoke with a gentlemen this morning from SO (John?), very helpful. It must be a bear to keep the website up to date with to continuous improvements being made to the pack lineup. It sounds like they'll be updating some pictures on the broadwing to show compression straps that come included.

Some addition items that people might find useful:
- If you intend to use a lumbar pad, consider sizing up on your belt. I overlooked this.
- The load sling attaches to the frame panel and wraps the bottom of the bag connecting to the bottom of the back bag panel. There are 2 additional loops near the top of the frame panel. This would allow someone to keep the original load sling in place around the bottom of the bag and add another higher up the daisy chain and looped up to the top of the frame panel similar to how EXO does it. Doing this you are strapping directly to your frame and not counting on the bottom of your bag to help lift the load.