Best way to carry rifle on Mystery Ranch Metcalf?

I have the 2015 model Mystery Ranch Metcalf and I'm tired of hauling my gun with a sling over my shoulder and having it slide off.

I've seen the kifaru gun bearer and other similar systems, but wanted to check here to see if anyone else has recommendations for this particular pack system.

AXEL

WKR
I used KGBs on several Dana Design and MR packs from 2005-6ish and still have a few of them, one on my modded DD Shortbed frame for moving meat if I get lucky.

I found them as good or better than any gun carry system I have used in 53 seasons, but, now use the Gun Hooks from SO as they are much lighter.

I do try to keep my gun in my hands in BC hunting, due to the sudden shots in our *jungle* and the increasingly frequent encounters with large, furry characters who sometimes have *issues*.

Good rigs, though, my favourite item of Smiths gear.

Kifaru's Gun Bearer for sure. Works on any system with a waist belt and shoulder harness.

boom

WKR
i use that solo-hunter sleeve thing. i tend to have lots of low hanging canopy on my hikes.

i just cinch it down on the myriad of straps found on the pack. it secures really tight on the side straps, but it tends to add some eccentricity to the load..down the middle works well.

Bcole82

FNG
I bought the MR quick sling, it keeps the gun on your shoulder. Pretty sweet piece of gear, I find myself forgetting my rifle is even there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtnhmr

FNG
I bought the MR quick sling, it keeps the gun on your shoulder. Pretty sweet piece of gear, I find myself forgetting my rifle is even there.

I use a MR Pintler and bought the MR quick sling - afraid I've had the opposite experience, where as the sling keeps falling off of my shoulder.

Any tips before I burn an email to MR highlighting faulty engineering?

Bcole82

FNG
I use a MR Pintler and bought the MR quick sling - afraid I've had the opposite experience, where as the sling keeps falling off of my shoulder.

Any tips before I burn an email to MR highlighting faulty engineering?

How far back are you running the "rifle butt holder", not sure what that's called. I've found that if that thing starts sliding it messes up the whole system. Other than that I'm not really sure how it could fall off your shoulder.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jjjjeremy

Lil-Rokslider
Randy Newberg is sponsored by Mystery Ranch and he and his guests use the Metcalf/Pintler/Marshall with a universal Kifaru Gun Bearer. If he's willing to risk blowback from his sponsor for putting a competitor's product on camera, it must be the best option. I've seen him respond to questions like "Who makes the gun holster?" with vague answers like "they're called gun bearers" (lowercase).

Kotaman

WKR
When I ran a Metcalf, I just strapped my rifle to the side. I later used the gun bearer bucket, but still strapped it to the side.

mtnhmr

FNG
How far back are you running the "rifle butt holder", not sure what that's called. I've found that if that thing starts sliding it messes up the whole system. Other than that I'm not really sure how it could fall off your shoulder.

The butt holder is placed between the bag itself and the belt on stiff flat material? Should it be elsewhere?

I used the gun bearer from Kifaru this last hunt in south central AK. I didn't want to strap rifle on pack as I've done before due to bears. I actually did one of the backpack hunts without a sling on the rifle. I was able to pack all my gear, half a deer and use trekking poles with the rifle very accessible. The gun bearer made for the Kifaru pack will work on the Mystery Ranch Metcalf with Nice Frame, you don't need the "universal".

The thing takes some getting used to I must add. My hunting buddy didn't like the way my barrel was sweeping around.

NDGuy

WKR
I used the gun bearer from Kifaru this last hunt in south central AK. I didn't want to strap rifle on pack as I've done before due to bears. I actually did one of the backpack hunts without a sling on the rifle. I was able to pack all my gear, half a deer and use trekking poles with the rifle very accessible. The gun bearer made for the Kifaru pack will work on the Mystery Ranch Metcalf with Nice Frame, you don't need the "universal".

The thing takes some getting used to I must add. My hunting buddy didn't like the way my barrel was sweeping around.

I have the new guide light frame, wonder if it would still work.

THBZN

Lil-Rokslider
If you are carrying the rifle in the dark, or for the hike into camp, just use the side or back compression straps to securely lash down the rifle. The autolock buckles work perfectly to hold it tight once cinched down. Obviously, this makes the rifle tough to get to if something shows up, but when I am hiking in the dark by headlamp, I want my hands free for trekking poles, etc.

If you are using the Mystery Ranch Quick Draw Rifle Sling, make sure the rifle butt stock holder is cinched down tight on the rigid flap where the waistbelt meets the frame. Also, make sure the chest strap is horizontal, and snugged down tight. I wear mine above my sternum a bit, where it rides above my bino harness, out of the way, and keeps the rifle in place. Keep in mind, it is not designed to allow you to do cartwheels, but keeps your hands free until you need it. Check this out for a quick how to: Mystery Ranch Gun sling kit - YouTube

Bailer

Lil-Rokslider
I have the universal gunbearer on a guide light metcalf. Works great, no issues. It's hard to imagine a pack it wouldn't work on.

haussjr

Lil-Rokslider
On the mystery ranch metcalf - guide light, do you need the small or large waist belt strap for the universal gun bearer?

NDGuy

WKR
Something I tried out in Montana this year was to kinda jury rig securing the rifle to my pack. I used the chest strap on the pack to put through my rifle sling and then tightened it down. Kept the rifle on my shoulder and didn't allow for much swing with it. I will likely just use this system until I get a Kifaru gun bearer.