who uses a small bag AND frame day hunting?

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
In the past I've always left my frame in the truck and hunted with a smaller pack (30-ish liters); if I was lucky enough to need the frame, I'd hike out to get it.

I'm venturing further and further in it seems, so this year I'm going to try hunting with the frame (SG Krux) and a smaller bag (Serac) attached. Going to be a little heavier and a little less agile through thicker stuff, but thinking it could save me some serious miles.

I'm guessing others do it similarly???

Jauwater

WKR
I've been using a 22" hunter frame belt less with HPG Tarahumara. I stash the belt in the Tarahumara bag just in case I need it to to carry something out. I also carry Kifaru Cargo Net in the bag just in case, or cinch it over the Tarahumara.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Big bag all the time for me, Hunter frame with High camp 7k. I'm too lazy to walk back to the truck to get my hauler. A big bag will usually compress down so that it's not flopping around on you.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I hunt my frame with a ~2500cu in daypack on it pretty much all the time since I'm either spike camp or tailhead based. If backpack hunting truly (moving around) I'd use a larger bag. For spike camp I use a haul bag on the meat shelf to bring in camp. I use the shelf to haul meat as you'd expect. At the moment I have a MR NICE and guidelite. On the NICE I can tuck the load lifters down if I want a 21" frame with nothing behind my head and pull them up if heavy hauling. That's one perk to that frame but its a heavier for sure.

Stein

FNG
I am using the Exo 2000 this year and love it so far. Compressed large bags were always a bit useless and cumbersome for me, so I went this route unless I am carrying in a camp.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The AMR on my Bikini frame cinches down so small, yet leaving the back pockets available for day trip items, I can't see running any smaller bag on my frame.

carter33

WKR
Recently I have been carrying a small pack and leaving the frame in the truck or camp (if float hunting). However I intend to upgrade to a kifaru fulcrum. Really seems like it accomplishes the desire for a daypack but can also easily transition to haul meat. Excited to try it out.

Dinger

WKR
My day bag is a Highcamp 4800 on a bikini....always planning on coming home heavy.

I can get a whole buck (broken down) in the Highcamp.

I hunt a little differently back east. Almost all day hunt and still hunting for whitetails - I have the patience of a Tasmanian devil on crack so tree stands don't work. 2-8 miles a day and usually at least a mile or more from the truck in an area where atvs are a no go and carts are impractical due to terrain. Untila last season, I was dragging out what I shot. A tough task even in the little "hills" of PA and New York. This past year, I used an MR crew cab and now a woodsman on a 22 inch frame as a day pack. Realistically it adds some pounds over what a day pack would weigh. Probably 7-8 pounds of bag and frame vs my 3 pound day pack. However, the ability to haul meat out without making a trip to the truck is worth it to me.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I've got my SG Krux and Approach bag that I'll use as a daypack from time to time. I just wear it lower than I normally do to keep it as compact as possible and the stays closer to my shoulder height to stay out of the way of stuff.

OP
mtwarden

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
I have been using a SG Avail (and similar previous to this) which is about 3#- great pack and no complaints whatsoever, but the Serac with the Krux frame is 3.7#- less than a pound difference AND if I'm lucky enough to drop something it seems it will be a pound well spent :)

wapitibob

WKR
I've got my SG Krux and Approach bag that I'll use as a daypack from time to time. I just wear it lower than I normally do to keep it as compact as possible and the stays closer to my shoulder height to stay out of the way of stuff.

Partner is using this setup and hauled out his Elk with it. I use a Bikini frame and Gen II meat bag. Both are 15# +- for day hunts; drop a quarter in or lash it down and go.

DaveS

Lil-Rokslider
I use a Kifaru 22" hunter frame with a modified Alps Outdoorz day pack attached. I added some straps and a load shelf to the Alps day pack and cut off the shoulder straps. This setup make a great day pack and doesn't get hung up on stuff like my 26" bikini frame did. I built an extension for the hunter frame so I can extend it to 26" when hauling meat. I used it last week to haul out an elk hind quarter and front quarter.

When I hunt the big woods around here, I have been going in with a pack capable of carrying a whole deboned deer and gear back out in one trip, for about 12-13 years now. That meant some form of Military surplus setup. First with the Alice, then with the Molle II. I then went with an Alps Traverse for a couple season but, it was too big and bulky as well. I really liked/like my nimrod wilderness system I replaced all that with. The only thing was, I sometimes wanted to pack a stand plus my gear in when bow hunting. On the long trips, that was 3 miles or better one way. And, that was miserable carrying my stand with my nimrod strapped to it. It became an endurance test when I killed something because I had to make two trips to get everything out. We used to have a law here that a game animal needed to be checked in within 24 hours of killing it. So, that meant a lot of those 2nd trips were in the dang dark. As I aged, i noticed I stopped carrying the stand as much due to the effort it required when successful. Enter the Kifaru apollo. That's my new setup and, while I have yet to have the privilege to hunt with it, I have done about 150 miles in it this spring and summer carrying everything I day hunt with here, including the stand and, it's the berries. I own other bags for out west hunting but, the apollo is exactly what I was looking for concerning day hunts with the ability to bring gear and game out in one trip. God Bless

Read1t48

WKR
I always hunt with a frame. I have a Kifaru hunter frame with a large side pocket and G2 meat bag. Cargo panel rolled up in the bottom. G2 meat bag carries kill kit and and other small stuff. Side pocket can be used for jacket or other gear.
Great set up. Lightweight.

I've got a MR frame with a custom bag made by Rugged Stitching. It's about 2k or so I think. It does have a built in meat shelf though.