Backpack Advice

Hello all, so I've been doing a bit of reading, trying to decide on a new pack. I was initially going to go with a Kuiu Ultra 3000 but have since been wondering about a Stone Glacier 3,300. I would be mostly using my pack as a hunting day pack but would like to have the ability to haul elk quarters out or maybe the occasional hike in hunting camp trip option, although I rarely hike back in to camp. I'm just wondering if the larger frame packs are the right way to go for what I want to use them for, or if I should be looking at something else? Price is not a problem, I just really would like a quality pack.

Thanks in advance for any help!

AXEL

WKR
Seek Outside Brooks, for general purpose, IMO.

I have packed a LOT of packs in BC, AB, etc., since 1956 and find these SO packs simply outstanding.

William Hanson (live2hunt)

Super Moderator
Staff member
Bigger is better imo. I use my kifaru fulcrum for everything from whitetail stand hunting to 9+ day elk hunts and never want for room. Stone Glacier makes good stuff too and of the 2 mentioned I'd go with them for many reasons.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

OP
U
Thanks alot for the replies, I'm planning on ordering the pack tomorrow but been wondering if this is the right way to go. I've always used Badlands(Superday & Diablo) and I like them but would like to try something different this time with a little more versatility for other things.

AXEL

WKR
I had an original Utah-made Badlands 4500, lovely pack, very well made, but, it was stolen with my Dana Design-Boze Terraplane OK in Dec. 1999, in a home burlary, I do have a BL Monster for a few day hunts but, honestly, I have had Kifaru, DD, MR, etc. etc, since my first CampTrails in summer 1968 and NOTHING impressed me as these SO packs do, NOTHING.

I am hard to fit, spinal distortions, unequal leg lengths and uneven shoulder heights and these adjust more simply and carry better than anything, which, at 71, in BC's rugged terrain, is a BIG deal to me.

You want "bigger" and I agree on this, look at the SO Broadwing.

oldgoat

WKR
My advice is limited Kifaru because it's the only high end pack I've used. If you buy their frame and a bag that suits your needs for now, then later if your needs change, you can just buy a different bag and use. Or if you buy their Nomad pack and a frame, you can just add a camp bag or dry sack and haul all you can haul if you need too!

frankrb3

WKR
I just bought the SG xcurve frame and R3 (Pretty much the same as the solo 3300) on Monday. The guys at stone glacier are awesome. I live in bozeman where their shop is and was able to go in and watch them assemble my pack. I will be honest though, the R3/3300 is a weird size to me right now. It's much larger than I need for the amount of stuff I take day hunting and it seems too small for all the stuff I would take on a hunt where I would be camping. I really like the frame so far, keep in mind I haven't actually used the system yet. I just think there is going to be a learning curve. Prior pack was a mystery ranch crew cab. I would recommend looking at the sky 5900 if you think you're going to ever use it to camp. I might go in and switch out the R3 for the sky 5900. Just can't make up my mind.

OP
U
I just bought the SG xcurve frame and R3 (Pretty much the same as the solo 3300) on Monday. The guys at stone glacier are awesome. I live in bozeman where their shop is and was able to go in and watch them assemble my pack. I will be honest though, the R3/3300 is a weird size to me right now. It's much larger than I need for the amount of stuff I take day hunting and it seems too small for all the stuff I would take on a hunt where I would be camping. I really like the frame so far, keep in mind I haven't actually used the system yet. I just think there is going to be a learning curve. Prior pack was a mystery ranch crew cab. I would recommend looking at the sky 5900 if you think you're going to ever use it to camp. I might go in and switch out the R3 for the sky 5900. Just can't make up my mind.

This is what I was kind of concerned about. I do carry quite alot of gear in my day pack, to the extent that I have to take a trip back to camp to empty everything out and go back to get my animal to get anything measurable done. I was thinking though that if I find I need a bigger pack I can just buy the 5900 or larger, and I can still use the SG frame and just attach the bigger pack and leave the 3300 at home...

Redside

Lil-Rokslider
I bought my SG a few years ago before the new frame and bag choices came out so I opted for the solo and a load cell. I've been very pleased with it. I can't speak for the other brands as before I was using my old Dana Design Bomb Pack that was not made to be a elk hauler. I'd probably went with a Kifaru if not for SG in my hometown of Bozeman.

The solo is great for day hunting and when I want to go a multiday I use the load cell with it. However, most of my multidays are 3-4 days so if you would want to go longer I would look at a bigger bag. It's also a simple system to use. They have some video's online that show you how to use them.

Matt W.

Super Moderator
Staff member
The thing about getting a pack like the Stone Glacier is that you end up with a good frame you can build around. Have you had a chance to try the fit of the SG frame? I'd try to find a few to try on (SG, Exo, Kifaru, etc.). Then once you find a good fit, you have a ton of options on bags; and can even get crazy and build up multiple size options. Or save your money and go a bit bigger than you think you need and cinch it down. :)

Last edited:
Pick a company that offers a great frame and interchangeable bags. That away you get the options of buying what suits your needs.

I cannot tell you which one. For me I choose Kifaru when in your position. And, while I'd love to try others there is no way they'd be any better. So, I can't justify it for the cost. I bought an apollo with my hunter frame and have since added a Mountain Rambler. Both packs are great day packs that will compress flat and tight and, both have a meat shelf for packing gear and game at the same time. However, the rambler expands to about 4500 CI. With two pockets through the pals and a lid, it pushes well over 6000 CI. For weather from 20 degrees during the day and up, I could get 10 days out of that with my gear and food requirements.

I didn't tell you that to sway you to Kifaru. I gave you that example to show you how one of the quality frames and, a couple bags could cover every need you'd ever have. That's why I'd buy a system that had a frame made for multiple bags. For me, it'd be American made too. God Bless

frankrb3

WKR
Yup, I foresee stone glacier getting more of my money in the near future. I don't have their load cell yet (currently soldout) but plan on getting one to expand the packs volume. I should also mention that I really like the design of the R3/3300. If i bought a new tent, pad and sleeping bag I could cut the bulk in half with the current gear I am using. If i did that the R3 would have plenty of space for weekend hunts. In a world where I was a rich man I would have the avail bag mounted to the xcurve for days hunts, the R3 for late season day hunts or one nighters, and the 5900 for 3-5 day trips.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
another Stone Glacier (Krux frame) user here- I have a 5900 for multi-day trips, but will use a Serac (w/ a load cell handy) for day hunts- the Serac is about 30 liters which is just about spot on for a long day hunt for me

OP
U
Cool, thanks for all the info it's much appreciated! Stoked to order my new pack in the morning, I'm going to get the Stone Glacier

frankrb3

WKR
Cool, thanks for all the info it's much appreciated! Stoked to order my new pack in the morning, I'm going to get the Stone Glacier

Great choice and the guys you will speak to are all hunters who will guide you in the right direction if you have any questions. I had many and they were very patient. I was positive I was going to get the R3 on the krux frame because I wanted the coyote colored frame. After an hour Caleb convinced me to go with the Xcurve and I'm glad he did. Pete is also an awesome dude and if you talk to him or Caleb on the phone tell them Frank from the Bridger Goat Survey recommended Stone Glacier. Let us know what you end up getting and remember if you're a veteran they will give you 20% off. Awesome company in my opinion.

frankrb3

WKR
Pick a company that offers a great frame and interchangeable bags. That away you get the options of buying what suits your needs.

I cannot tell you which one. For me I choose Kifaru when in your position. And, while I'd love to try others there is no way they'd be any better. So, I can't justify it for the cost. I bought an apollo with my hunter frame and have since added a Mountain Rambler. Both packs are great day packs that will compress flat and tight and, both have a meat shelf for packing gear and game at the same time. However, the rambler expands to about 4500 CI. With two pockets through the pals and a lid, it pushes well over 6000 CI. For weather from 20 degrees during the day and up, I could get 10 days out of that with my gear and food requirements.

I didn't tell you that to sway you to Kifaru. I gave you that example to show you how one of the quality frames and, a couple bags could cover every need you'd ever have. That's why I'd buy a system that had a frame made for multiple bags. For me, it'd be American made too. God Bless

I totally agree. no one can tell you what frame or pack to buy. You have to find what works for you. I personally run a Kifaru frame and bag. I went through multiple set ups before going this route. I run the hunter frame and a DT1 bag. I use it for day hunts to 7 day trips. There are a ton of threads on here discussing this same topical. Do some searching and I'm positive that you'll find some quality responses to your question.

OP
U
Great choice and the guys you will speak to are all hunters who will guide you in the right direction if you have any questions. I had many and they were very patient. I was positive I was going to get the R3 on the krux frame because I wanted the coyote colored frame. After an hour Caleb convinced me to go with the Xcurve and I'm glad he did. Pete is also an awesome dude and if you talk to him or Caleb on the phone tell them Frank from the Bridger Goat Survey recommended Stone Glacier. Let us know what you end up getting and remember if you're a veteran they will give you 20% off. Awesome company in my opinion.

Crapola. I was in the military for 9 years and a veteran. I didn't know they gave a discount for that. I sent them an email but I have already paid for everything lol. Thanks for this info!

OP
U
I ordered the Solo 3300 and X-curve frame with it and also a few accessories(gun sling, range finder pocket, bladder bag). They don't have the Krux frame in stock right now, but I still probably would have ordered the X-curve anyway I'm thinking.

OP
U
Wow Stone Glacier just called me back and totally gave me the discount. That's pretty dang awesome, and thanks again for the info!