Please help me find an entry level pack on a budget

TauPhi111

WKR
Hi Everyone,

I'm going on my first back country hunt this year in Colorado for 3rd season elk. I'm on a budget because I have invested in a ton of other gear this year, and I'm trying to find a pack. I've been considering a few options, but I'm nowhere near as knowledgable about packs as say, rifles, and I'm having difficulty deciding what to pick. If you all could help me pick a pack or suggest some specific models to look at, I would greatly appreciate it. I realize the really good packs from companies like Kifaru and Stone Glacier are the way to go, but they are just out of my budget for this hunt this year. I plan on getting one in the next few years, but for this year, i need the price to be under $200, and ideally $150 or less.

The two options I've been considering so far are a military surplus USMC ILBE pack or the Alps Outdoors Commander + Pack Bag. People have said you can get a ILBE pack for less than $100, but I haven't seen one for less than about $120, and I've found the Alps Outdoors pack for $115 on amazon. Of these, which one of these would you get.

Please suggest any good packs in that same price range if you know of any.

Finally, would a nice used pack from Kifaru, SG, etc. go for that price range? If so, are the classified fields here good for that?

Thanks!

bluemark

FNG
I have a Badlands 4500 that I want to sell $150. It is in excellent condition.

Bluemark

Army Gen IV ruck sack. You can pick them up for $50 complete. It is a weight carrying machine, and compresses small for day hunt mode. Seriously, there is not a better option versus dollars spent anywhere. This Pack ranks up there with all of them and, better than most for weight carrying comfort. the only reason I am not still carrying it is the frame width. If I lived out west and needed multiple night packs, I may never gave it up. God Bless

Tsnider

WKR
id give the slumberjack bounty a shot. i had one and it was decent for the cost. theres a review somewhere on roklside for it. has a rifle holster, daypack built in, and meat shelf. you can find them on ebay used for cheap, i sold mine for like 120 at one point. eventually youll have a kifaru.

I will send you a Kelty Redcloud 90. I have packed deer with it , it will pack elk quarters. You pay shipping ill get it in the mail.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

OP
TauPhi111

TauPhi111

WKR
I have a Badlands 4500 that I want to sell $150. It is in excellent condition.

Bluemark

I might take you up on that. I have a badlands day pack and I love it. What size is the suspension system, regular or large? I'm 5'6" 160lb pretty muscular build

OP
TauPhi111

TauPhi111

WKR
I will send you a Kelty Redcloud 90. I have packed deer with it , it will pack elk quarters. You pay shipping ill get it in the mail.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Are you saying you'll give me it just for the cost of shipping? Can you PM me some pics?

OP
TauPhi111

TauPhi111

WKR
Army Gen IV ruck sack. You can pick them up for $50 complete. It is a weight carrying machine, and compresses small for day hunt mode. Seriously, there is not a better option versus dollars spent anywhere. This Pack ranks up there with all of them and, better than most for weight carrying comfort. the only reason I am not still carrying it is the frame width. If I lived out west and needed multiple night packs, I may never gave it up. God Bless

Hi WV! You mentioned these before on my other thread. I guess I should check them out. Haven't been able to find one online though. Where do you usually find them?

Where can you find that ruck wv mountaineer? Where you from in wv?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

EBAY. Type in "Army Molle II Large ruck sack". Don't get the medium Molle II. It's and internal frame. Get the large Molle II with the external frame. I think I'm aloud to put that on the forum. If not, please delete and excuse my misunderstanding. Buy one complete instead of parting it out. Much cheaper. I live in Princeton. About 3 miles from the VA border.

Last edited:

Macegl

Lil-Rokslider
Thats a great offer from Can't hit em. I've had a couple kelty's and they are pretty comfortable packs. That would also give you a chance to see what you like and what you don't, without spending a bunch of money. You could then save an extra $100-200 bucks towards the pack you really want. Who knows you might like the kelty enough to just keep using it. I have four years on mine and it has served me well.

I dont dare try a really good pack. It would be like optics, I was perfectly fine with what I had till I used my buddies leica's one morning. Never been happy since.:)

Stein

FNG
I have an Eberlestock just one for sale, comes with the spike duffel, rain cover and hip belt pocket and I would sell it for 200. It carries elk for sure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Years ago in the army and after I Hauled a literal ton of shit in an old school large Alice ruck sack. You can buy them for $35 bucks and although they are not comfy they do work.

Army molle and the filbe ilbe are a lot of pack cheap. eBay is your best source there.

While you are on eBay, check out dana designs terraplanes and mystery ranch satl pack as well as other mystery ranch military packs. A used 10 or even 20 year old terraplane is the same basic design still employed by mystery ranch on their hunting packs and has probably spent most of its life in a closet or garage. The .mil mystery ranch packs were put into service in the early to mid 2000s and are the basis on which their current hunting line was built. The terraplane go for $100-200 on eBay and the mr military packs go for $150-200. If you pick up one of those, it will probably last you for a decade or two of hard core hunting.