Pintler vs Metcalf?

oguruma

FNG
I am looking to get a nice pack. I think I have narrowed it down to the Pintler vs the Metcalf.

I only plan on doing day hunts for the immediate future, so I guess the common sense answer is to get the Pintler. But, I may want to do some overnight hunts in the future.

The Metcalf seems a bit excessive for a day hunt, and might not pack well with <40L worth of stuff.

The Pintler seems more or less limited to day hunts, without rigging stuff to the outside, which I don't like.

Anybody have any input?

Also, is the Pintler really 30" tall? The MR website indicates that it is, but it looks smaller than that. I have a bipod that I like to use that's about 26" folded up, so it would be nice to know if it will fit.

OP
O

oguruma

FNG
I don't have the pack, so I don't know, but I usually struggle to fit 3 days worth of gear in my 50L packs, and that is just backpacking gear, no hunting stuff.

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I don't have the bag but my guide light frame is 25" tall, looking at photos of the bag it doesn't appear to be 5" taller but not sure if it expands in some manner.

Get the bag that suits your needs now and if/when your needs change get another bag. That's the beauty of the bag being separate from the frame.

Ledanek

Lil-Rokslider
Also, is the Pintler really 30" tall? The MR website indicates that it is, but it looks smaller than that. I have a bipod that I like to use that's about 26" folded up, so it would be nice to know if it will fit.

I raised my cheapo tripod to 26" tall
rLGjLCf.jpg

not scientific or precise, but, here's my measurement for the pack's height
oSjJwYk.jpg

side-by-side comparison...again, not precise nor scientific
j1grh7p.jpg

tripod inside one of the pockets
1OiPLSp.jpg

YpsKvaS.jpg

hope that helps

boom

WKR
i have a Metcalf. no Pintler.

i've used the Metcalf a few times as my backpacking trip bag. i think it would be a bit much as a dedicated daypack. the Pintler: i'll own one soon. i've done a two-nighter with my DragonSlayer. not ideal, but it worked. i did have to strap on a few outside bags. it would have been interesting if i got a deer to die. talk about tight!

Callen21

Lil-Rokslider
I have a 2015 USA made metcalf on the nice frame. I'd part with it if your looking to save some money

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

texag10

WKR
Not sure how well the bigger MR packs compress, but I have no issues using a 4800 ci seek outside bag as a day pack. It compresses down to nothing. It's nice to have a good sized bag for when you get an animal on the ground a ways from your vehicle.

Not trying to sway you to change brands, just wanted to offer an example of using a larger packbag for everything.

NDGuy

WKR
Get the Metcalf. Next year when they come out with the Pintler bag sold by itself without the frame you can just buy that and have both :)