Advice on Exo vs. Stone Glacier

Been reading reviews and trying to find posts on Exo vs SG hunting packs. I currently have the new 2017 Exo Mountain Gear 3500 pack. I like it a lot and don't have any major complaints so far, but need a bigger pack for 7 - 10 days. So I was just gonna buy the 5500 Exo bag, but the gear junkie in me said well maybe try the Stone Glacier Sky 5900. I'm more curious how the Xcurve frame compares to the K2? I have a curvey back with deep lumbar (opposite of flat back) and feel the new Xcurve frame might fit me even better.

Thoughts and opinions much appreciated.

Adam

I've worn a friend's exo and have the x curve with 5900. Both great setups. Not sure you'll get anything besides opinion unless you can try both out.
But I will say the 5900 will be tight for 10 days unless using load shelf for food.

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
No experience with the exo. My xcurve does adjust to me very well. I have a slight back curve my hip bones are higher than average compared to my lumbar area. Basically I should have a 26" frame according to my inseam and height. Because of my hips a 24 can work just as well. I don't know if exo has an adjustable lumbar pad that you can also adjust the foam in the pad like the xcurve, if not I say give it a try. Size wise for 10 days maybe the sky 7400, it actually weighs less than my 6900.

Just get the 5500 bag. You already have the EXO and it's working for you. The 5500 compresses down super small and it's nice for when you need to go for at least 10 days. I wouldn't trade my 5500 for any other pack.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
F
Thanks for thr input fellas! I've decided to sell my 3500 bag only and buy the 5500 Exo bag for my needs. I just don't have any complaints with my Exo so no reason to change.

Rsully661

Lil-Rokslider
I'm having a struggle between the exo 5500 and the SG 3300. Figured if I add the lid and 900cu in accessories bag to the SG 3300 while utilizing the load shelf I could get close to 6000 cu in. What would be the better option in anyone opinion? Basically it's coming down to which frame and belt is better and I just don't know.

bmart2622

WKR
The Sky 5900 compresses amazingly well and works awesome in day mode. I went back and forth between the 5900 and the Solo with attachments and am very glad I went with the 5900.

Unless you have funds to get every bag in a companies lineup, go big. For most the weight difference is not much and they compress down so well its not a big deal.
I run the 5900 and the solo would be nice but if you need to get something out of the bottom of the load shelf bag that would be a pain.

jherald

WKR
I have a 5500 Exo and its been a great pack. I've hauled several deer, sheep and moose with mine.

MT_Wyatt

WKR
The Sky 5900 compresses amazingly well and works awesome in day mode. I went back and forth between the 5900 and the Solo with attachments and am very glad I went with the 5900.

Totally agree with this, I've ran the solo with lid and accessory bag, and much prefer my 5900.

MT_Wyatt

WKR
I'm having a struggle between the exo 5500 and the SG 3300. Figured if I add the lid and 900cu in accessories bag to the SG 3300 while utilizing the load shelf I could get close to 6000 cu in. What would be the better option in anyone opinion? Basically it's coming down to which frame and belt is better and I just don't know.

I haven't used the exo belt, but I will say packing meat with the x-curve this year really showed how that new system shines. The dual tensions on the x-curve belt are extremely useful to shape to your hips, and having the frame bend back over your upper back is awesome at higher weights. I'm sure the exo is great, and I hope to test one out one day, but I think that SG frame design has a ton going for it and is very, very well thought out.

chas

Lil-Rokslider
I hunted with the exo 3500 and 5500 and both were great. Very well made, especially the newest version. Steve is one of the most personable guys I have had the pleasure of dealing with when ordering. Light weight, functional, and can haul more than I can carry. We just did nine days in the back country and the packs were great. That's my take on the exo packs and the company. I would recommend them to anyone, and I don't ever do recommendations.

OP
F
I think as far as the bag design it's personal preference. The exo bag is very narrow width wise (9") at the bottom. Although it makes its sleek and easy to move through brush I personally like bags a little wider. I feel it makes it makes it more difficult to utilize the space at the bottom being so narrow. I actually don't even use a stuff sack with my sleeping bag in the Exo since the space is so small.