Pack for hips: custom options ?

twunt

FNG
Looking for a little advice from the collective...

So I have really high bitchly hips and have been struggling with packs.
The top of my hipbone is approx 4" above my waistline and waist belts usually end up over my navel or slightly higher when fitting the waist pads as per usual over my hip bones. Under load I can't seem to get a good solid amount of weight transfered to the hips. Lumber pad rides a lot higher in the small of the back as a result. This is with various packs and various adjustment range on them all. (6'3" 180-190#, 34" waist and the only "love handles" are high hip bones)

I would really like to purchase a kifaru hunting duplex but would there be better options out there?
Was thinking possibly a custom taller hip belt if this was even possible to find a vendor that would do so.

Thanks in advance.

I'm in the same boat. I have a Kuiu pack that slides down my butt when loaded. No amount of pressure will keep it in place. My Kifaru pack does a little better simply because the waist belt is wider and grabs more meat on my hips than the kuiu. And the Kifaru and the rubbery face of the lumbar pad, which grips things a little better. Either way, fitting a pack "over your hip bones" doesn't work for me. I have the pack belt buckle just above my pants belt buckle. If I placed it "over my hip bones" the pack buckle would be over my navel, and if it's snug, I can't breathe, or feel like I cant.

And I'm not an obese man. I'm 5'-10" around 195-200 pounds. So yeah, I have handles and could stand to loose a couple 10 pounds.

Just my 2 cents and worth the price charged.

I have some of the same problems. I knew before ever buying a top tier pack what my body needed and, bought a pack that will work with me.
I adjusted the lumbar to set in the small of my back with the harness. I run the belt flat and it comes in right at navel level. When I strap it, I pull it down slightly to below the naval. The pads are on my hip crests but the belt angles down to strap under the naval. With the thick Kifaru lumbar pad, it stays in place. Shorten your harness until the pack rests in the small of your back. When you tighten the belt, it will lift the pack off your shoulders automatically. Then snug the shoulder straps, engage the load lifters appropriately to relieve the pressure on the top of the shoulders, and carry on. If the load is really heavy, this still works very well for me, because as the pack settles under load, I ever so slightly bump the shoulder straps to loosen them just a hair, then engage the load lifters a bit more. It gives the shoulders more room when dong this and, literally digs the lumber pad in. Consider running the aluminum stays on the Kifaru to ensure being able to adjust them to custom fit your back. They are a bit heavier but, pack weight isn't nearly the issue many make it out to be in my opinion. Unless you spend a lot of time carrying the pack with your hands versus strapping it on your back. ;) I promise your body can't tell the difference in a 5-8 pound pack if they both fit the same. God Bless

The correct positioning of the belt especially with a Kifaru is over or just under the navel. Most people (including me) when they are used to lower end packs run them a lot lower and it takes some getting used to. When adjusted correctly, 100% weight transfer to the hips should be possible for most high end packs and I can tell you from experience that it certainly is with a Kifaru. That being said, bad habits can cause incorrect fitting; so make sure to follow the fitting recommendations in the various videos even if they feel slightly unnatural at first.

OP
T

twunt

FNG
Thanks guys. I was a little concerned since all the kifaru fitment videos state to center the middle stitch of the waistbelt on the top of the hip bone. This would put the buckle pretty much above my navel. Guess I will try it out and see I guess. Thanks again.

The correct positioning of the belt especially with a Kifaru is over or just under the navel. Most people (including me) when they are used to lower end packs run them a lot lower and it takes some getting used to. When adjusted correctly, 100% weight transfer to the hips should be possible for most high end packs and I can tell you from experience that it certainly is with a Kifaru. That being said, bad habits can cause incorrect fitting; so make sure to follow the fitting recommendations in the various videos even if they feel slightly unnatural at first.

This^^^

You're hips are probably not as bitchly as you think.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
The top of my hipbone is approx 4" above my waistline

I'm having trouble picturing this. 4" above my waistline is squarely in the middle of my ribcage. My ribcage starts right around my waistline closer to the backside. How on earth can your hip bone be higher than your waistline?

OP
T

twunt

FNG
I'm having trouble picturing this. 4" above my waistline is squarely in the middle of my ribcage. My ribcage starts right around my waistline closer to the backside. How on earth can your hip bone be higher than your waistline?

Above natural "belt" line or where my pants sit.
Sorry should have been more concise.

Sorry should have been more concise.
Yep, I'm the same shape as you. Top of my hip bone is 4" above my natural waist line.

You could check out the SG Xcurve frame and belt as well if you wanted. With the dual hip adjusters, you can really dial in the fit and pressure around your hips.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"

I wear my pack belts around my "natural waistline".......i.e. above my hip bones. That's why I don't use lumbar pads. I cinch the belt down around my "waist" and it's impossible for the belt to slip down at all. And my natural waist line is about 3" above where my pants belt rides.

I wear my pack belts around my "natural waistline".......i.e. above my hip bones. That's why I don't use lumbar pads. I cinch the belt down around my "waist" and it's impossible for the belt to slip down at all. And my natural waist line is about 3" above where my pants belt rides.
Just curious what your height, weight and what your belt size is.

sndmn11

WKR
Seek Outside would be worth a look, their waist belt is the most conforming of the three that have been mentioned for me and their lumbar pad may feel a little lower than the other two.

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
My hips are high maybe not as high as yours. My xcurve belt (top of the buckle) is at the lower fourth of my navel. Lumbar pad is slightly adjusted down and has plenty more to go (see photo). If needed the internal foam can be rearranged. Through trial and error I like my hips just above the center stitch line (see photo). I don't have vast experience in high end packs but this amount of adjustments blows away anything from a big box store. I tried on a lot with 30lbs. I have no sag and all the weight is properly transferred. With the dual tensioner I crank them both down if my weight is 30+. Under that I loosen the uppers which gives a better ease of movement.
ac0030000d1ae257ae31b8540caad2eb.jpg
3321d7f1f091c7c9ff5fed3101ecff45.jpg

rgroves79

Lil-Rokslider
Been watching this one closely. My 26" Kifaru likes to slip down on me even with 20-25 lbs in it. I am built similar to 5Miles (6'5/ 235/ 36" inseam) and have been thinking I might want to switch to a 24" frame to help keep it higher and not above my head.

Been watching this one closely. My 26" Kifaru likes to slip down on me even with 20-25 lbs in it. I am built similar to 5Miles (6'5/ 235/ 36" inseam) and have been thinking I might want to switch to a 24" frame to help keep it higher and not above my head.

That can also be indicative of having the wrong curvature in the stays. Do you have curved or straight? A shorter frame isn't going to do anything to help fit that adjustment can't. All it does is make it not stick above your shoulders as much.