Seek Outside Peregrine

WoodDuck

FNG
I've done lots of looking here and other forums but haven't found the info I'm looking for. I'm in the market for a new pack (upgrading) and have taken an interest in the Peregrine. My hunting will consist of yearly backpack archery elk trips (5 days normal, 7 max), a muley or antelope trip here and there (either backpack or hunting from the truck) and whitetail hunting in Wisconsin where I would like to be able to pack the whole animal out on my back.

I know this will be a great day trip pack, but I'm looking for some thoughts/experience using it on backpack hunts. My thought was to sandwich a dry bag with tent, sleeping pad/bag, and maybe food between the Peregrine and frame for packing in. I would then ditch the dry bag at camp and hunt with the Peregrine.

Am I trying to ask one pack to do too much? Seems like it would be slick if it did work. Thanks for any help.

RockChucker30

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
The Peregrine will do what you're wanting, but it may not be the "best" for all the situations you're envisioning. For a 5 day backpack hunt I'd want a bigger packbag, no question. Reason being that you would have to use a drybag or something to store insulation or food to get 5 days out of the Peregrine. With a Goshawk, Fortress, or Broadwing you can do 5 days easy.

As you force the bag away from the frame by compressing another bag you start to mess with the load distribution and center of gravity. Larger bags don't suffer the same problem.

The Peregrine is a great day hunt to 3 day pack.

ahlgringo

WKR
I would second the above post. I run a similar set up as you are describing but with the fortress. Love it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
W

WoodDuck

FNG
Sounds like I will probably need two different packs then. Thanks for the quick replies.

With the fortress do you find it inconvenient to access gear while hunting?

sndmn11

WKR
I used the new version Peregrine for most of this archery season in CO and found it perfect for day hunting. I would imagine with the right gear and compact food choices you could use it without utilizing the load shelf area for 3-5 days, with a Merlin, for 3-5 days, but it would be full.

Rossi

Lil-Rokslider
I have hunted out of the Fortress. It does not have a lot of organization, so you will probably want a day talon or Merlin to go with it. I have also used the SO lid to hold things I needed to get to quickly. For day hunting, a different bag would be better. The Broadwing might be a great solution, since it compresses down well.

RockChucker30

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
This is a bit counterintuitive, but I've learned through experience that less organization makes my stuff easier to find.

With a Fortress, Base Talon, and two hipbelt pockets:

Where's my headlamp? Right hipbelt pocket, with cell phone.
Where's my snacks? Left hipbelt pocket, with Gu gels.
Where's my water? Two 1.5L water bottles in side pockets.
Where's my GPS and map? Talon
Where's my hygiene kit, first aid, rest of my food? Talon
Fleece shirt / vest? Mesh pocket on Talon
Rain gear? Top of pack bag.
Everything else? pack bag.

The stuff I use most is reachable without taking the pack off.

Wapiti1

WKR
I have the fortress bags in 4800 and 6300 sizes. The 4800 is good for 5 days, maybe 7. The 6300 was on my last long trip of 12 days. We didn't make it all 12 before tagging out, but it held all the gear and food I needed to go the full time. That is a lot of food.

Of the bags they offer, the Goshawk looks good for a mid-size pack, and the full length zipper helps with access and organization. These are minimalist bags, and don't have inner pockets. RockChucker is right on with organizing. Just worrying about the stuff you will actually need quickly. I keep calls and rangefinder in my bino pack. Gloves, rain gear in the talon. Water in the side pockets, snacks in the main bag, other day hunt gear in a hanging pouch in the main bag.

Being able to separate the bag from the frame is really only useful for really heavy things like elk quarters when you don't want to, or can't, put them in the main bag. A hind quarter will fit in a Fortress 4800 bag, by the way. Just use a trash bag for a liner.

In years past I used a Mystery Ranch Crewcab (now the Cabinet) the way that you describe, and put a dry bag in the cargo sling with my camp gear in it. That worked well, but that pack has a small bag on it, and you can't get it unbalanced like the SO would be if you have a bunch of gear in the main bag as well. I could get about a 4500-5000 cube dry bag in the MR pack.

Jeremy

OP
W

WoodDuck

FNG
There will be times that I want to carry a treestand between the bag and frame, so I want to make sure the bag separates from it. It sounds like the Peregrine will be a great day pack, but I will need something bigger for backpack trips. I really like the look of the Goshawk and it should have plenty of room for 5-7 days. I guess the only way to know for sure if I will like it is to buy one and find out. I'm thinking a Peregrine, Goshawk, and Talon should keep me satisfied for a few years.

texag10

WKR
I've got a fortress 4800 with a side zip (like the current goshawk), base talon, and 2 hipbelt pockets. I use it mostly for day hunting. Everything I want immediately at hand immediately at hand. Things I want quick access to when I take the pack off I can grab from the talon or by using the side zip. When I did a backpack hunt I packed it in such a way that most of what I would want was in the talon or the top of the packbag.

Once you get used to it I found it very easy to set up and organize.